Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > North Carolina > Charlotte
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 02-25-2007, 06:11 PM

2 posts, read 6,791 times

Advertisements

Thanks everybody for your replys. It is my first experience with building a new house .The one i've been in for the last twenty years was built in 72. It is hard enough relocating never mind trying to build a house in south carolina while still living in new york.

Old 02-26-2007, 12:45 AM

4,300 posts, read 14,958,068 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by sophialee View Post
Sir,

I'm sure you do not think it's appropriate but unfortunately (for you), that is what public forums are for. A home is the biggest investment most people will make in their lifetime financially. If they are unhappy about it you can bet they are going to sound off on a public board somewhere, sometime. And that is their right.
I'm sure he wouldn't mind if everyone was speaking highly of them. Thank God I never considered this builder but a friend of mine is in love with one of their plans and is seriousoly considering building with them. I will have to forward this thread to her so she is aware of these issues.

Old 02-26-2007, 12:54 AM

4,300 posts, read 14,958,068 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Winona View Post
I have purchased many newly built homes and am currently looking at McCar. Since I have had experience with Horton, Centex and Pulte (all top listed homebuilders) I can offer to share my experience with all of them.

They all have problems with homebuilding. I would have to say, its not McCar or Horton or Centex, etc that are the problem because homebuilders use subcontractors to actually build the houses. The way I've seen it with my experience is that the builder works with the best "subs" and sometimes like any company, you get a bad employee which results in poor workmanship. Just as you get a lemon with the millions of cars turned out, I feel its probably the same way with homes. Considering all that are built out there, they all are not going to come out perfect.

I've had leaky roofs, toilets that leak through the 2nd floor ceiling when flushed, electric problems with fixtures that overheat and turn off themselves to prevent fires (the Centex builder told me that one!), 1/2 inch+ cracks in poured concrete and more. It's not just one builder, you just have to find one you think you can work with. The best advice I can give, is stay on them to fix the problem. It isn't easy, it takes your time and you get frustrated feeling like you're doing everyone elses job, but the old saying "the squeaky wheel gets the oil" is usually true. I've tried to be realistic that homebuilding isn't always perfect--it's saved me at least one ulcer!

Yeah but what about the poor customer service? Why doesn't this builder stand behind the product?

Old 02-26-2007, 08:33 AM

17 posts, read 107,272 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by sheena View Post
Yeah but what about the poor customer service? Why doesn't this builder stand behind the product?
Customer service, that opens a whole can of worms...ever been to Circuit City to try to return a new computer that you just opened on 12/25 and it won't turn on? You can't you have to send it back to the manufacturer. I don't think the phrase "Customer Service" is in anyones vocabulary anymore! As far as standing behind their product, it appears that the VP is trying but only a few are pleased that he is trying. Materials are usually guarenteed by the manufacturer, not the builder.

I can only say, that I have had dealings with some of the top rated homebuilders all along the East coast. I haven't had one that is perfect and every builder I have dealt with allows you to personally hire an inspector prior to closing. My recommendation is to do so. The Centex house I am in now (Savannah, GA), which is up for sale while I decide where/who to build in the Atlanta area (Duluth, GA), had a wall in the foyer that was bowed out...come to find out they never secured the corner-bead molding to the drywall, just skimmed over it with joint cement and painted. My inspector caught that and got it repaired prior to closing. No hassle for me.

I have been monitoring this site for a couple of weeks to see if it was truely a homebuilder problem, sub problem, shoddy workmanship or poor materials. I do notice there are a few individuals who don't seem to be happy or may never be happy until they sell their house, but overall it seems to be limited. I was also very surprised to see the VP on this site addressing problems. I don't know of one other homebuilder executive from another company on a forum, especially the VP of construction. He seems ready to take the heat, if needed.

I am moving towards selecting McCar based on the feedback of this forum and Rob McCrae's participation. I think with any homebuilder you have to be an active participant and spend the extra $ on an inspector, if you want to ensure your house will be a home. I applaud Mr. McCraes' participation.

Old 02-26-2007, 08:58 AM

2 posts, read 4,575 times
I am closing on a house in Mccar home developement on march 2nd and I just got finished reading all the negative feedback for this builder and am scared to death now. This is our biggest adventure yet besides our children and now I am alot afraid....any positive feedback would be greatly appreciated......

Old 02-26-2007, 09:06 AM

2 posts, read 4,575 times
Default closing on mccar home......

any feedback on a mccar home would be greatly appreciated so good or bad let me have it....

Old 02-26-2007, 05:38 PM

8 posts, read 24,891 times
what development are you moving to? I must admit Briarcrest is pretty nice. My only complaint is when I came here I was looking for 3-sided brick and side loading garages..they didn't offer that. 2 weeks after I closed guess what I seen...that's right new lots with side loading garages and three sided bricks. Also, they don't give you anyroom for parking. I got a football field for a backyard and a sidewalk to park on. I asked them if they could move the house back before the concrete was poured. My house was the ONLY one on the street but they said they couldn't move it back because they all have to be in line. WHAT LINE!!!! there was oly one house!

Old 02-26-2007, 05:48 PM

8 posts, read 24,891 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Winona View Post
Customer service, that opens a whole can of worms...ever been to Circuit City to try to return a new computer that you just opened on 12/25 and it won't turn on? You can't you have to send it back to the manufacturer. I don't think the phrase "Customer Service" is in anyones vocabulary anymore! As far as standing behind their product, it appears that the VP is trying but only a few are pleased that he is trying. Materials are usually guarenteed by the manufacturer, not the builder.

I can only say, that I have had dealings with some of the top rated homebuilders all along the East coast. I haven't had one that is perfect and every builder I have dealt with allows you to personally hire an inspector prior to closing. My recommendation is to do so. The Centex house I am in now (Savannah, GA), which is up for sale while I decide where/who to build in the Atlanta area (Duluth, GA), had a wall in the foyer that was bowed out...come to find out they never secured the corner-bead molding to the drywall, just skimmed over it with joint cement and painted. My inspector caught that and got it repaired prior to closing. No hassle for me.

I have been monitoring this site for a couple of weeks to see if it was truely a homebuilder problem, sub problem, shoddy workmanship or poor materials. I do notice there are a few individuals who don't seem to be happy or may never be happy until they sell their house, but overall it seems to be limited. I was also very surprised to see the VP on this site addressing problems. I don't know of one other homebuilder executive from another company on a forum, especially the VP of construction. He seems ready to take the heat, if needed.

I am moving towards selecting McCar based on the feedback of this forum and Rob McCrae's participation. I think with any homebuilder you have to be an active participant and spend the extra $ on an inspector, if you want to ensure your house will be a home. I applaud Mr. McCraes' participation.
That deserves a slow clap (lol). Trust me, if I would have found this website before I bought my home I wouldn't have been so eager to jump in. You sound like an employee of McCar homes making a fake post.

Old 02-27-2007, 05:50 AM

17 posts, read 107,272 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mr3000 View Post
That deserves a slow clap (lol). Trust me, if I would have found this website before I bought my home I wouldn't have been so eager to jump in. You sound like an employee of McCar homes making a fake post.
Sorry to disappoint, I am NOT a McCar employee, I spend my days working in an Xray department. I do find it interesting that just because I think all builders have problems and don't think that this forum has shown me anything I wouldn't expect to happen with ANY builder, you think I must work for them.

As far as I have seen, they don't build in Savannh, where I currently live until I move to the Atlanta (Duluth) area. I still believe that all homebuilders have difficulties building, you just have to find one you can deal with and the home design is what you want, where you want it. I also think that Mr. McCrae shows good character by joining this forum and offering to assist when he can, and even providing his email address. I haven't had that with any previous dealings of any homebuilder. Here you at least know you are getting the information to an executive of the company.

Old 02-27-2007, 06:10 AM

743 posts, read 2,243,747 times
Winona, I now exactly what you mean. I am a McCar homeowner with problems with my house but they are working with me to resolve the problems. I understand, and wish others would do the same, that the building materials, ie hardwood floors, are not McCar's fault. But the resolution of the problem is, so as long as they are working with you or I to resolve the problem, they are doing their job and giving customer service. I have been to numerous retail outlets as well where customer service was the worse but we don't see threads for them and telling people not to shop at that particular store, do we?

Also it is a known fact that you seem to get further if you treat others with respect instead of getting upset and irrate, I am not saying that is what others are doing but I just know my dh and I are getting further because of this. He is stern but in a polite way and there is no way they cannot say they won't work with us because we are being polite and respectful but in a stern way. That is why I let him (dh) handle all the situations, he just knows how to talk to them.

Last edited by md to nc; 02-27-2007 at 06:13 AM.. Reason: added more to post
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Closed Thread

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > North Carolina > Charlotte