Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > North Carolina > Charlotte
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Closed Thread Start New Thread

Old 01-11-2007, 01:57 PM

6 posts, read 27,800 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by dsolnmsol View Post
That is so wonderful!! I love my home, too. It's beautiful. And the neighborhood is great! We're in a catch 22 over moving. Love the neighborhood....had to fight the builder. Oh well. Would rather have awesome neighbors, I guess. Glad you have had such a great experience with your home and are looking to build another. You must have faired very well on the quality of yours. If McCar gets themselves turned around, we could entertain another build with them too (but...I love this house!).
good luck! I hope that any one who is having problems will get them resolved. A new home is suppose to feel like a home. No worries right, but thats not always the case.

Old 01-11-2007, 02:01 PM

6 posts, read 27,800 times
Quote:
Yes...I know. When bought a spec home. We hired an inspector, but, the house was already done when we picked it. So...the majority of the items were not seen until repairs were required.
same here my home wasn't a spec home but on the market and probably becoming a spec. My inspector inspected my home and said everything was fine. He took pictures and gave me a full report.

Old 01-15-2007, 08:40 AM
jjw

1 posts, read 2,792 times
We live in Miramonte, a McCar community in Apex.

ive dealt with Rob McCrae a few times and he is an outstanding representative for McCar. He really gets the ball rolling in areas that need to be addressed. Our community had an issue with poor quality hardwood floors and Rob lead an effort to fix any homes that had the inferior product.

McCar here in Cary/Apex though goes through so much turnover, we dont have the same builder/sales/warranty person from 1 week to the next. Thats my only complaint. We build up a relationship with one person who knows our home and issues only to have them reassigned. Not sure why this happens. Our house has been great, though I recommend hiring a 3rd part inspector for the process.

Rob and McCar have been willing to work with us and we are pleased with the home building process.

Old 01-15-2007, 11:20 AM

93 posts, read 393,494 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by jjw View Post
We live in Miramonte, a McCar community in Apex.

ive dealt with Rob McCrae a few times and he is an outstanding representative for McCar. He really gets the ball rolling in areas that need to be addressed. Our community had an issue with poor quality hardwood floors and Rob lead an effort to fix any homes that had the inferior product.

McCar here in Cary/Apex though goes through so much turnover, we dont have the same builder/sales/warranty person from 1 week to the next. Thats my only complaint. We build up a relationship with one person who knows our home and issues only to have them reassigned. Not sure why this happens. Our house has been great, though I recommend hiring a 3rd part inspector for the process.

Rob and McCar have been willing to work with us and we are pleased with the home building process.

Same thing here...huge turnover rate. Never seem to work with the same people month to month. I found Mr. McCrae to be very helpful in addressing my great dissatisfaction with the quality of my home. He sent a representative out immediately following our contact. Sadly, a large number of McCar employees have agreed I have a home with an unusual amount of problems. Apologies abound. As I've said before though, it 'appears' as though they're really trying to turn things around. I hope so for future homeowners. I, unfortunately, will be a name they won't soon forget. As long as it makes a difference, I'm ok with that. I'm trying to put my trust back in them again. Only time will tell.....

Old 01-20-2007, 09:08 AM

2 posts, read 5,585 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by koao5 View Post
Has anyone had or heard of a bad experience with McCar Homes at Mallard Lake in Charlotte NC?
I currently live in Mallard Lake and was the first resident to move into this subdivison, so I've seen pretty much everything over the last year and a half. I have to say that I am thrilled with my home and have had no major problems. The majority of my neighbors will agree with me as well. There were some problems here and there but they were usually taken care of promptly. I love this neighborhood and so far, have no problems with the builder either.
There were the usual things like settling cracks etc but they did the repairs quickly and properly, from start to finish. The only other issue I have is the hardwood flooring in my kitchen. It's a very dark cherry that's rarely used now, from what I've been told and it doesn't hold up well to high traffic. But when you get all googly-eyed over something, you don't always think about things like that. I'll be replacing it in the future but it's fine for now.
There have been issues with the crews around here but after notifying the site supers, they were taken care of quickly. The current supervisor we have here, (Phil) has been great.

It does help that our community has taken gotten together and formed a group to make sure our subdivision continues to stay great. We deal with the HOA, the builders and each other. I am sorry that some of you have had such serious issues with McCar but thankfully, I haven't and have recommended them to quite a few people. All I can recommend is to keep a very watchful eye on any builder, from start to finish and don't hesitate to voice your opinion or let them know when somethng's wrong. Even if you have to do it repeatedly in the beginning, it will make a huge difference in the long run. If you have any other questions about ths subdivision, don't hesitate to ask.

Old 01-21-2007, 08:56 PM

201 posts, read 611,359 times
"There were the usual things like settling cracks etc but they did the repairs quickly and properly, from start to finish".
You make it sound as if settling cracks, etc are normal,. they're not.

Old 01-22-2007, 07:20 PM

2 posts, read 5,585 times
I'm talking about minor drywall cracks that were each repaired in less then a few minutes. I think in my home, which is a Hanley design, had less then 20 total throughout the almost 3200 square feet we have.

Old 01-23-2007, 10:07 AM

93 posts, read 393,494 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by michellek View Post
I'm talking about minor drywall cracks that were each repaired in less then a few minutes. I think in my home, which is a Hanley design, had less then 20 total throughout the almost 3200 square feet we have.
You are very fortunate. I only wish we could have fared as well with our home. Although we are officially 'done' with McCar and our 'one year', we hesitate at the thought of when the next shoe will fall. It's hard to believe all the 'bugs' have been found and fixed. Not trying to be pessimistic, here, but, a realist. Too many problems for our one home in the one year we've been here. (taking a deep breath) But, here's hoping no more 'surprises' lurk around the corner!

Old 01-23-2007, 02:19 PM

218 posts, read 253,642 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by PaulieM View Post
"There were the usual things like settling cracks etc but they did the repairs quickly and properly, from start to finish".
You make it sound as if settling cracks, etc are normal,. they're not.
Sure they are.. just like nail pops and any other minor thing relating to temperature change.

Last edited by Charlotte ePro; 01-23-2007 at 02:20 PM.. Reason: syntax

Old 01-23-2007, 02:32 PM

218 posts, read 253,642 times
Quote:
You are very fortunate. I only wish we could have fared as well with our home. Although we are officially 'done' with McCar and our 'one year', we hesitate at the thought of when the next shoe will fall. It's hard to believe all the 'bugs' have been found and fixed. Not trying to be pessimistic, here, but, a realist. Too many problems for our one home in the one year we've been here. (taking a deep breath) But, here's hoping no more 'surprises' lurk around the corner!
Hey dsolnmsol!
I hope you don't have problems either.

If you remember from one of my earlier posts https://www.city-data.com/forum/charl...tml#post207271
I sort of defended McCar just a little. MichelleK was actually my client, and that was one of the instances I was referring to. I was amazed to see her post, because I haven't spoken with her in almost a year it seems.

Anyways, just wanted to reiterate I was never making light of your situation.

Hey Michelle! I finally got unaddicted from Myspace thank you very much!
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Closed Thread

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > North Carolina > Charlotte