Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > North Carolina > Charlotte
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Closed Thread Start New Thread

Old 12-28-2006, 02:18 PM

93 posts, read 393,765 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by cubby61 View Post
My wife and I are considering a McCar home in the Berewick community in South-West Charlotte. Has anyone heard of any specific issues with this location?

My advice...PROCEED WITH CAUTION!!! I do not know this location as we are in Georgia, but, the builder is the same. McCar builds in 4 states. I would avoid a spec home like the plague, and if you build, mointor every phase with a hired inspector. Take photos. Document EVERYTHING you see and EVERYTHING they do. You may need it in the future to protect your investment. If it were me...I'd find a new builder. At least, at this time. McCar has a ways to go to prove itself worthy as a trustworthy builder. They made good on my backyard, but, that doesn't make me sleep any easier about the 'unknowns' with my home. I've had too many problems to feel like my home was bulit "With Passion" (as their logo touts) let alone, built correctly. So, that's my advice...for what it's worth.

Old 01-01-2007, 02:04 PM

2 posts, read 7,127 times
Default Why not a Spec home?

Can someone please tell me what a spec home is, and why the purchase of a spec home would be worse than building?

Old 01-01-2007, 03:20 PM

43,347 posts, read 77,209,038 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by darnel8 View Post
Can someone please tell me what a spec home is, and why the purchase of a spec home would be worse than building?
A "spec" home is a home the builder starts without a buyer, on "speculation." The speculation is that a buyer will take it at some point in the process. Sometimes the home is complete before it is sold.
The implication is that since there is no buyer, the builder will cut corners because no buyer or buyer's agent or engineer is there to watch like a hawk.

On the other hand, a spec home can provide a great bargain, if the builder's credit is stretched and he is willing to unload inventory at whtever price he can get to free up operating funds and stop the bleeding at the bank.

Old 01-01-2007, 06:17 PM

2 posts, read 7,127 times
Default Negotiating with McCar?

I have read all of these posts and I am preparing to buy a McCar home with much caution. I will get everything in writing, and I'm hiring a engineer to stop by periodically and take photos during the building. Thanks for all the advice!

Has anyone had any success negotiating options or price with McCar?

Old 01-01-2007, 07:05 PM

43,347 posts, read 77,209,038 times
darnel,
Have the engineer do more than take photos.
Have the engineer inspect thoroughly, with written reports, prior to cover-up, just like the code officials do. Be sure any issues are addressed before insulation, and before sheetrock.

Getting everything in writing while you are being schmoozed by a well-trained salesperson is no substitute for having your own attorney review the contracts. You can bet the farm that the Builder's attorneys reviewed it multiple times after they wrote it to favor the Builder.

Old 01-01-2007, 07:12 PM

85 posts, read 264,109 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by mayjormom View Post
I am so happy I read these posts. My husband and I want to purchase a home in Moss Creek. I will definitely not purchase from McCar homes. Every post almost sounds identical, which is very scary. This sounds like a Class Action Lawsuit to me. Have any of you thought about contacting the media. I would be livid if I purchased a home with such poor quality. I will definitely have to look at other developments. Can anyone recommend any decent builders in Cabarrus County? Thanks for your candid responses!!
We're building with Mattamy Homes in Dominion Trace at Highland Creek. We had our pre-drywall inspection last week with our home inspector and the home inspector said they were impressed with the builder. So far, we've had a positive experience with this builder. They have an excellent reputation in Canada (where they're based out of) and they've recently been building in the states. We decided we'd rather go with a smaller home that has the convenient location/amenities/home appreciation that goes with Highland Creek and go along with a good builder like Mattamy than go with a not-so-reputable builder and/or less convenient area and live in an albeit bigger home. HTH

Old 01-02-2007, 02:38 PM

93 posts, read 393,765 times
[quote=darnel8;242387]I have read all of these posts and I am preparing to buy a McCar home with much caution. I will get everything in writing, and I'm hiring a engineer to stop by periodically and take photos during the building. Thanks for all the advice!

Has anyone had any success negotiating options or price with McCar?[/
QUOTE]

It really depends on the salesperson and your relator. We should have taken the 'cue' from our incredibly rude salesperson, Brit, when we were buying. Our relator approached him on the spec home we were considering and asked about price reduction and/or upgrade incentives. Without batting an eye he flatly said, "No". My relator bawlked and told him he had no authority to answer without contacting his bosses. The salesman was shocked that my relator was so forward (she had every right to be!) and he reluctantly made the phone call. To his embarrassment, his boss said, "yes" without hesitation. So, spec homes can be a deal. But, after the horrible experience we've had I'd run before I'd buy a spec home again! We built our first home from the dirt up. Everything was monitored. EVERYTHING. This is the ONLY way to make sure your builder and their subs are doing what their SUPPOSED to be doing. When they're watched (like a hawk) less errors are likely to occur. Again, I say, PROCEED WITH CAUTION. In the event you run into problems, be sure to post them here. It appears the builders are monitoring the threads and are concerned with negative posts. Going public with buyers unhappiness helps everyone in the end when it pushes the builders to straighten up their act. Also, if you build with McCar, the VP has posted his e-mail and I have added the president's, Keith McSwain. Use it if you need it. Share it often when necessary. You'll get results if you stay on top of them.

Old 01-08-2007, 07:45 PM

22 posts, read 105,061 times
Default McCar Homes

You better have your engineer camp out 24/7. I watched a home that was being built right next door to me. From morning to night, not one McCar Home supervisor was there to monitor the workers. They blew the transformer twice in one day - almost electrocuted themselves. When I told them not to touch it again they mumbled "no hable english". I drove up to the model home and told them they need to get someone down there to help these workers. Needless to say no one showed up and we were without electricity until midnight. This happen on two more occasions.
I have talked to famillies who were very involved in the building of their homes and they still have problems.

I think you should think twice before you build a McCar home. I have been here almost two years and still have not had my 1 year walk thru resolved. I have leaks in my family room, framing issues on the 2nd floor, air conditioning that does not cool bedrooms. Over and over they try to fix, but never seem to get it right.

Beware...

Old 01-08-2007, 07:54 PM

2,314 posts, read 2,839,220 times
Ireland I have read your posts and truly feel bad for you. Is there any light at the end of the tunnel? Whatever happened to the representive on here was he able to help in anyway.

Good luck I hope it all gets settled and you can enjoy your home before your ready to move.

Old 01-08-2007, 08:46 PM

8 posts, read 24,900 times
Default McCar Homes in Waxhaw

I've read a lot of negative info on McCar homes in this forum. Do any of you guy's live in the Briarcrest community? If so, how is your experience. I'm noticing some flaws but now I'm getting downright nervous.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Closed Thread

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > North Carolina > Charlotte