Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > North Carolina > Charlotte
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 07-08-2014, 06:35 PM

2 posts, read 6,109 times

Advertisements

This bee (i'll call it that for now) was about 4 inches long, and just looked menacing. It had a HUGE stinger area, probably 2-3 inches alone, and it was striped black and yellow. It had massive wings that were 2-3 inches long. It had huge feeler/antennas that were a good inch long. I've been scouring bug encyclopedias with no luck. It's body is the size of one of my fingers. Eep!![/quote]

It's a prairie queen bee...hope this helps
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 07-09-2014, 03:09 PM

372 posts, read 723,418 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Gwarbler View Post
This bee (i'll call it that for now) was about 4 inches long, and just looked menacing. It had a HUGE stinger area, probably 2-3 inches alone, and it was striped black and yellow. It had massive wings that were 2-3 inches long. It had huge feeler/antennas that were a good inch long. I've been scouring bug encyclopedias with no luck. It's body is the size of one of my fingers. Eep!!
Quote:
Originally Posted by Gwarbler View Post
It's a prairie queen bee...hope this helps

What you have in your previous post is a picture of is a Prairie Yellow Jacket, not a "Prairie Queen Bee"

Prairie Yellow Jackets are not native to NC and only found out west

Old 07-25-2014, 01:31 AM

5 posts, read 9,642 times
I know what you're talking about. I tried to get a picture. I couldn't. I saw this thing at 2 am almost 2 hrs ago. Its about the size of the wasps in the picture that person posted but they're stripped. They have yellow stripes and they have these beady eyes (I was in my house it was by my sliding glass door) & I tapped the window & it tried to get at me through the window realized it couldn't & went to the top of the door...it was getting angry. These are very aggressive. Im seeing quite a few unusually large bugs here in NC which you wont find where im from (Miami)

Old 07-25-2014, 01:35 AM

I looked up prairie yellow jacket & the thing I saw had the yellow stripes like that but the head is completely different. The thing I saw had almost a triangular head and what looked like eyes...they were round and yellow & the head was a yellowish as well. It was maybe 2 inches long. And very aggressive.

Old 07-25-2014, 01:36 AM

Warbler what part of NC are you in? Im in Winston Salem. I happen to live next to the woods lol that's why I think all these bugs are appearing

Old 07-26-2014, 09:32 AM

1 posts, read 2,756 times
I have seen a large bee. I thought it was an africanized bee but I don't know. It is huge. They fly around to the back of the house around d the same time almost everyday. I just started seeing them last year. What in the heck are they. One tried to attack me 2 days ago. I ran in the house. I live in Clayton, N. C.

Old 07-26-2014, 11:28 AM

1 posts, read 2,747 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Trademarked View Post
So, this is the 3rd or 4th time I've seen one of these. It must be native to NC, or the south, because we had nothing like this in NJ.

This bee (i'll call it that for now) was about 4 inches long, and just looked menacing. It had a HUGE stinger area, probably 2-3 inches alone, and it was striped black and yellow. It had massive wings that were 2-3 inches long. It had huge feeler/antennas that were a good inch long. I've been scouring bug encyclopedias with no luck. It's body is the size of one of my fingers. Eep!!
I just saw the same thing and I'm scared to go back outside. I have never seen anything like it before and when I did a search I couldn't find anything that looked exactly like this thing. The long black legs(?????) and the size of its body were HUGE and like nothing I've ever seen or can find a picture of. I live in northern Michigan. I tried to get a picture but I was scared to get too close and it flew away before I could get one. I honestly don't think anyone will believe me when I tell them what I saw. They will assume I'm exaggerating.

Old 07-26-2014, 02:43 PM

372 posts, read 723,418 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Angela Ragona View Post
I have seen a large bee. I thought it was an africanized bee but I don't know. It is huge. They fly around to the back of the house around d the same time almost everyday. I just started seeing them last year. What in the heck are they. One tried to attack me 2 days ago. I ran in the house. I live in Clayton, N. C.
Was it kind of fat and predominantly black?

Old 07-27-2014, 04:11 PM

15 posts, read 27,913 times
Ok so I just had to login and post because I saw a bee almost identical to what's being described in this thread earlier today, save for the fact that mine was definitely not 6 inches long, but still easily the biggest bee I've seen in my life. Just moved to Chapel Hill from central PA for reference.

I saw it flying, so can't 100% accurately describe body shape, but it was about double the size of the hornets we have back home. If I had to guess, probably 2.5 - 3 inches long. Coloration-wise it looked nearly identical to yellow jackets we have back home; perfect alternating yellow and black rings. The body was fat, almost bumblebee-esque.

But, what got me were the eyes. Huge (proportionally), BEADY yellowish eyes. My dad and I were moving the grill out back (new place is very much in the woods) and this thing hovered between us, checking us out. Followed us out around front to the moving truck (which struck me as odd, the thing literally followed us step for step 50 feet or so) then took off. I felt as though I was being sized up, and only slightly surpassed his threshold for "attack and kill on sight" haha.

Didn't "freak" me out, but between the size and eyes it was definitely unnerving. Also can't find any accurate pictures on Google Images.

I may or may not have just been trolling around outside for a photo op haha.

What the heck was it?!?

Old 07-27-2014, 04:43 PM

1,863 posts, read 1,652,865 times
Hasn't "the Government" been working on micro-drones? Was anyone doing something they shouldn't have been doing when they spotted these "insects?"
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > North Carolina > Charlotte