Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > North Carolina > Charlotte
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 07-29-2016, 10:50 AM

1,985 posts, read 2,072,167 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by QUEMQUAHT View Post
Check this out, "Asian Giant Hornets" --might yours be one of these? IF SO, YOU WILL NEED TO CALL IN A PEST ERADICATOR ASAP. They are here from Japan, where they attack and kill people. They are spreading to the US now.

//roadtrippers.com/stories/massive-killer-hornets-on-deadly-rampage-heading-to-america?lat=40.80972&lng=-96.67528&z=5
nice - would love to bread and fry one of those buggers up for an appetizer. heard it's a nutty taste.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 08-12-2016, 09:41 AM

1 posts, read 1,609 times
Default I saw the same LARGE insect

This HUGE wasp/hornet/whatever it is - triggered my outdoor security camera.

I thought it was a bat at first - it had HUGE wings - the only reason I even registered it as an insect is the slow-mo snap I got of it. The size of a humming bird. I would say 4-5 inches and MUCH larger than a finger.

I am not able to attach the pics I got from the camera log from my iPad - I will have to attach them later. I can't find ANY insects anywhere to match this. It came out of the grass area about 40 feet away, and was large enough to trigger the motion sensor. The insect was drawn by the light or something and flew directly to the camera so I have a close snap showing the insect legs, then another snap showing the 3 separate portions of the body, indicating it is of the wasp or hornet family. It was as long as a dragon fly but the close up snap shows it is not a dragonfly. I am stimied. I want to know what it was haha. You are NOT alone or imagining it - and it is aggressive. It attached my camera.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Trademarked View Post
This is going to drive me crazy until I find a photo. It's locked inside a house, I'm going back monday or tuesday and perhaps I can snap a photo. Even being 10 feet away is scary since its so large.

It's not just an exceptionally large bee because ive seen this same species before. It's not something you can mistake. It's MASSIVE.

Old 08-12-2016, 09:48 AM

1,985 posts, read 2,072,167 times
You can hit them with tennis rackets. Used to do it all the time as a kid. Grab a racquet and go have some fun.

Old 08-15-2016, 10:00 AM

7 posts, read 6,973 times
Arrow It's all good!

Calm down! Do stay away, I don't like them either! It's an everyday bee, I see them all of the time. I guess I understand it isn't common up there, but I was surprised to see those pictures when your Forum post made it sound like a flying Godzilla. That is a normal sight, and you'll see many more of them! Just make sure not to provoke them, because it might sting if you do the wrong thing near/to it (I haven't ever actually been stung by a bee before, so I can't say how bad the pain is).

Old 08-16-2016, 04:39 PM

2,411 posts, read 1,979,220 times
I highly suspect these are government drones. In any case, they are sure to be classed as an endangered species as soon as someone actually gets them identified. If you have any on your property, prepare to surrender that property. And for gosh sakes, do NOT kill any .. the sentence for doing that is likely to be very harsh.

Old 09-15-2016, 01:23 AM

1 posts, read 1,437 times
Tarantula Hawk?

Old 03-26-2017, 02:57 AM

1 posts, read 1,268 times
These large wasps were called "cow killers" by my grandmother.
I did find some pics of them when I searched in 1996 but a couple years later couldn't find any more references or pics, like they never existed at all.
I've seen them three or four times and they were between 6 and 8 inches long and quite fat.

Old 07-28-2018, 12:36 PM

1 posts, read 821 times
Just saw one in Oklahoma a few minutes ago. Largest thing I’ve seen here since I got here 6.5 years ago. However, it was 2” at best. Looked like a mutated yellow-jacket (stinger portion) with a large red wasp body, wings and head. Quick flying and would hate to come face to face with it again, let alone have a swarm of them. Wonder if they’re loners or do they have a hive or nest where they gather as a group. My video footage doesn’t do it justice so nothing to show.

Old 07-28-2018, 05:02 PM

28 posts, read 32,770 times
Trademarked,
Call the extension service and get those lazy jerks back to work! LOL
Just be careful, we live in a very warm climate and are finding very bad insects or spiders that are new to this area almost everyday.

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Longhorned_tick

This horrible weed is growing like crazy in Charlotte.

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Heracleum_mantegazzianum
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > North Carolina > Charlotte