Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > North Carolina > Charlotte
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 09-14-2013, 12:59 AM

467 posts, read 1,496,604 times

Advertisements

I still can't figure out what it is. I saw one again in my yard a few days ago. They are very pushy and aren't afraid of me at all. The body alone is the LENGTH and WIDTH of my pinky finger and its got very solid and defined yellow and black stripes. It's got large wings, with a wingspan of at least 3 inches. There is not mistaking it. When I see one I know it's thats same species. It looks like none of the photos in this thread. I've searched every term on google images and cannot find a photo. It's 3am and i'm laying in bed so frustrated that I can't figure out what it is. I'm going to have to draw a picture of it and post it on here tomorrow.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 09-14-2013, 04:22 PM

1 posts, read 5,213 times
Default Could it be this?

Hi there,
Today my daughter grabbed me cause she found a giant wasp stuck to our screen door. I caught it and have been trying to figure out what is is all day and stumbled across this site. I think I found my wasp...it sounds a lot like yours.

What we caught is a Pidgeon Horntail (wood wasp). This site has a great picture of it:

Pigeon Horntail wasp - Tremex columba aureus - in Utah

Could it be one of those?

Last edited by IFoundIt; 09-14-2013 at 05:25 PM..

Old 09-15-2013, 02:58 PM

That's not it.. That looks like a traditional wasp. The thing I see is a body the size of my pinkey finger and doesn't have that pointed tapering off of the stinger.

Old 09-16-2013, 12:41 PM

821 posts, read 1,854,944 times
Get a can of wasp spray - the kind that shoots up to 20 feet and fire at will or whatever you want to name the creature. Then, snap a photo of the corpse and post it. I really want to see it. It may be a cicada that spent too much time near one of the Duke Nuke plants. :-)

Old 09-17-2013, 12:14 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by paulosfm View Post
Get a can of wasp spray - the kind that shoots up to 20 feet and fire at will or whatever you want to name the creature. Then, snap a photo of the corpse and post it. I really want to see it. It may be a cicada that spent too much time near one of the Duke Nuke plants. :-)
As much as I want to know what it is, I'm not the type to kill a living creature just to fulfill my curiously. I will however make a valiant effort to capture or photograph it

Old 04-01-2014, 01:30 PM

3 posts, read 14,416 times
Default White Lined Sphinx Moth?

i am searching today online because i saw a large insect as you describe. i live in dallas. i think what i saw is a White Lined Sphinx Moth. it was about 3" long with similar wingspan, prominent antennae, and flew kind of like a hummingbird. i didn't see a stinger, but the backend of it was tapered to a point. it did not have a narrow waist like a wasp. anyway, maybe this is what you saw too.

Old 04-01-2014, 01:32 PM

Default picture

of sphinx moth
Attached Thumbnails
What on earth is this bee/wasp/hornet, largest I've ever seen!!-images.jpeg  

Old 04-01-2014, 03:52 PM

645 posts, read 1,069,092 times
It's probably a carpenter bee.

Carpenter bee - Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia

Carpenter Bees | University of Kentucky Entomology

They're harmless. They can grow to great sizes. We had a couple that came back from wherever they went during the winter and burrowed into a wooden shelf on our patio. They're about twice the size of a large bumble bee.

We kept that shelf up for fifteen years just because we got a kick out of seeing one or two of them return every year and chew a new tunnel in the shelf.

Old 04-01-2014, 07:02 PM

8,402 posts, read 24,227,219 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Trademarked View Post
As much as I want to know what it is, I'm not the type to kill a living creature just to fulfill my curiously. I will however make a valiant effort to capture or photograph it
Good for you!

Old 04-13-2014, 07:35 PM

yes, white lined sphinx moth is exactly what i saw. given these pictures some guy took one day later very close to my house. maybe it was the same individual

Butterflies and Moths of North America | collecting and sharing data about Lepidoptera
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > North Carolina > Charlotte