Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > North Carolina > Charlotte
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 01-17-2011, 01:26 PM

4,761 posts, read 7,858,620 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Big Aristotle View Post
Charlotte's metro is 2x the size (with a transplant and demographic shift who could care less about a 10-year old arena vote) and many more entertainment options; plus a tough economy to boot and everyone's more prudent with a dollar today.

You will care the next time this happens.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 01-17-2011, 02:40 PM

4,980 posts, read 5,422,940 times
Lived in Charlotte for 19 years and I love my Bobcats.

Old 01-20-2011, 05:15 PM

3,875 posts, read 4,298,408 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by spankys bbq View Post
You will care the next time this happens.
That's where you've got me pegged wrong Spankster, No I will NOT. You don't know me and never will in terms of what I care or don't care about.

Old 01-20-2011, 05:30 PM

3,875 posts, read 4,298,408 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Nativechief View Post
vmax I agree. That building was made to safely hold 20k people Im sure the "building codes" wouldnt prevent putting offices inside with reasonable modifications. No reason a school of some type wouldn't work either. It already had a nice basket ball court and by building classrooms inside no one can say that would be worse than the hundreds of portable classrooms they use now. Building office sites inside wouldnt cost what building from scratch would...That was one big building. Problem is the crooks and liers who cut deals just wanted the uptown area to have everythig. we still owe 30 million on it from what i read not long ago. who says a school or an office building has to be square..
How do you know? Did you perform some sort of cost-benefit analysis on this task instead of speaking hypotheticals? Don't assume it would be economically feasible to do what you propose. That building was built for a different use; how many other arenas have been converted to commercial or mix-use commercial properties, or governmental facilities in the US? More specially a school? Are these people in other cities idiots as well?

Provide some case studies, some evidence of what you cite; it's moot anyway, but I'd be interested in learning what others have done versus name-calling and unsubstantiated positions.

The arena lacked sufficient luxury suites, this is the profit model for many other arenas. Please don't read one article and then begin using it as a factual baseline....shotty research. People who write such things are also crooks and liars - they exist of both sides of the fence.

Old 01-20-2011, 05:53 PM

22,974 posts, read 65,638,579 times
I can understand the sky box and smaller arena since it is design for basketball what a better way to see a game its along the light rail line and Amtrak station is nearby.

However I am sentimental to old coliseum I saw Janet Jackson 1814 tour there. On Tyvola to Billy Graham Pky this is why there is directional arrows (if you ever wonder} The best part was the tree lined street they still go up to where the coliseum use to sit.
I think and not sure but I think a hotel is there now.

Old 01-20-2011, 05:55 PM

22,974 posts, read 65,638,579 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by SunnyKayak View Post
I can understand the sky box and smaller arena since it is design for basketball what a better way to see a game its along the light rail line and Amtrak station is nearby.

However I am sentimental to old coliseum I saw Janet Jackson 1814 tour there. On Tyvola to Billy Graham Pky this is why there is directional arrows (if you ever wonder} The best part was the tree lined street they still go up to where the coliseum use to sit.
I think and not sure but I think a hotel is there now.
I also miss the Hornets mural that was painted on a wall I think Wachovia Plaza,

Old 01-21-2011, 10:58 AM

128 posts, read 272,953 times
I have season tickets to the Bobcats and go to every game that I can (If there's 3 games in a week, I always make at least 2). I didn't live here when the whole Hornet debacle went down so I really have no say or feelings that some of the native Charlotteans have. If people are still PO'd about the arena vote almost 10 years later, then that's really more their own problem IMO. That being said, I think the Bobcats biggest problem is that they don't have a true superstar or "local guy" that stars for the team. Raymond Felton was the closest thing to that and he went to the Knicks. If Felton had become what Chris Paul is to New Orleans (consistent All-Star), I think it may be a different story. There was a lot of excitement around the team when they made their playoff run last year, but it quickly eroded this year with their awful start. Charlotte has always been a fairweather sports town and probably always will be unless there is a consistent winner. The Bobcats need to consistently become a playoff caliber team. And not just get to the playoffs as a 7 or 8 seed, but actually win a series or two, become a 3 or 4 seed on a regular basis. If they do that, the fanbase will grow and you'll start seeing the arena filled with a lot less LeBron James jerseys and more of the local guys.

Old 01-21-2011, 01:18 PM

2,742 posts, read 6,764,651 times
FYI, in case you guy's haven't noticed. The Bobcats have skyrocketed all the way up to 7th Place in the Eastern Conference. It looks like getting rid of Larry Brown was the best thing they could have done. NBA Conference Standings: NBA.com - 2010-2011 Conference Regular Season Standings

Old 01-22-2011, 11:35 PM

2,532 posts, read 3,462,494 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Carolina Blue View Post
FYI, in case you guy's haven't noticed. The Bobcats have skyrocketed all the way up to 7th Place in the Eastern Conference. It looks like getting rid of Larry Brown was the best thing they could have done. NBA Conference Standings: NBA.com - 2010-2011 Conference Regular Season Standings
I would take the rankings with a grain of salt. They still are 17-25. Still pretty bad. The Eastern Conference is top heavy with 5 good teams (celtics, heat, magic, bulls, hawks). The rest of the teams are not that great.

Quote:
Originally Posted by dbull75
Charlotte has always been a fairweather sports town and probably always will be unless there is a consistent winner.
I don't feel this town is a fairweather fan town. People still went to the Panthers games when they were losing consistently this year (as well as last season). Being that we live in ACC country, more people care about those teams than the NBA teams (proof in that everyone still to date boos JJ Redick when he comes into town).

Old 01-23-2011, 06:47 AM

9,116 posts, read 17,764,202 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by ncopus99 View Post
I would take the rankings with a grain of salt. They still are 17-25. Still pretty bad. The Eastern Conference is top heavy with 5 good teams (celtics, heat, magic, bulls, hawks). The rest of the teams are not that great.

I think people who follow the Bobcats understand that, however the team has done a total 180 since Brown was fired...Will the short term success hold? Who knows, but its a nice little ride...

Quote:
Originally Posted by ncopus99 View Post
I don't feel this town is a fairweather fan town. People still went to the Panthers games when they were losing consistently this year (as well as last season). Being that we live in ACC country, more people care about those teams than the NBA teams (proof in that everyone still to date boos JJ Redick when he comes into town).
This is ACC country, however if the Panthers were any good you'd have a ton more buzz than you have now. Same thing for the Bobcats......
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > North Carolina > Charlotte