Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > North Carolina > Charlotte
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 01-14-2011, 09:53 AM

30 posts, read 126,569 times

Advertisements

And if I remember correctly, on top of the stadium deal and high ticket prices, the team made a deal with local cable so that to even see the games on TV required an extra cable subscription. The idea was to force folks to go to the stadium. What really happened was it completely alienated the city. Folks did not even have an option to watch the games on TV and thus had no way to support the team. In my book, the team had three strikes in the first year.

Also if I remember correctly the Hornets set NBA records for complete sell-out games for years. So Charlotte is completely capable of supporting a team. But the Bobcats fell hard from self-inflicted wounds and I have never seen them make any concerted effort to make up for their mistakes with the city.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 01-14-2011, 10:51 AM

1,218 posts, read 2,988,877 times
I came from a state with NO PRO SPORTS AT ALL. No NBA, NFL, NHL, etc..... NOTHING, so, I was excited to have pro football and basketball 20 minutes from my apartment.

I attend usually one game a month (bobcats). Im a big supporter of the team and enjoy going to games. Sometimes I get free tickets, but, ive paid as much as $45 when they played Cleveland last year. I typically can get a good seat in the 200's for $15-25, depending on who they play.

I will never understand why they blew up a perfectly good arena.... but, PLENTY of other states and sports teams do this constantly. Why does Walmart always build new stores and abandon the smaller one? Same with a lot of things, they all want bigger and better.

I love the arena.... its very clean, great seating layout, and i love the location, as I can go one block over to the epicentre. That way i dont have to eat inside the arena

The bobcats were VERY good last year. Yes, they got creamed in the playoffs, but, they had a very successful year. People SOLD OUT the place. It proved Charlotte can sell out the arena for games. We just need those people back.

They are not as good of a team this year, but it happens. Plus they are STILL dealing with injuries. We only have 1-2 "star" guys on the team, where teams like the heat and celtics have 3+.

The introductions are GREAT. I love well put together video's added in with good music, good vibe, and the crowd yelling and screaming. Who doesnt? The arena announcer is annoying, and says stupid nick names after baskets.... but, it doesnt keep me away from games. He should just stick to the indo's for the Bobcats and call it a day. Try going to a WNBA game, where they play music DURING the game.

I really enjoy going to bobcats games, and will continue to do so even if they arent a perfect team. Since im not a charlotte resident, i can care less about the previous votes and tax implications. If I did live there, i might be a little upset, but COME ON PEOPLE, Charlotte is NOT the only city to do this. PLENTY of other towns and cities are "handcuffed" by sports teams or builders to assist with these things.

If you use stub hub or get scalped tickets, go to the $5 or $10 parking lot or use the train (cheapest option) and make a evening of it, its worth your while. Ill park, head to the epicentre, and go to the game, and have a great time. Charlotte is a big city with a lot of sports fans. It was proven with the Hornets, and it was proven when the Bobcats made the playoffs, we just need people to get behind the team. I know what its like to support a WINNING team that gets no fan support (im a Tampa Bay Rays fan) and the Bobcats can be a winning team. Look how awful the knicks were for the last few years (until now) and they still had plenty of fans there.

Ill be going to atleast 2 games in Feb and im looking forward to it!

FYI: I have Direct TV with the basic sports package, and I get the bobcats games fine. its sad that they only have 1 nationally televised game this season (which was already on).

Old 01-14-2011, 11:19 AM

8,876 posts, read 13,907,158 times
Basketball? No interest.

Went to one Bobcats game last year and that solidified my feeling.

No thanks. Reality TV is as good as the NBA. I can stay home and not have to spend any money to watch.

Old 01-15-2011, 12:05 AM

2,532 posts, read 3,449,764 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by DaysofThundr46 View Post
We only have 1-2 "star" guys on the team, where teams like the heat and celtics have 3+.
Outside Gerald Wallace, none of the rest of the players are any close to a star. Jackson is a "mid" level guy that is overpayed, far from a star. Ask the normal charlotte crowd/any basketball fan, most would be hard to name more than a player or two that plays for the Bobcats.

Ticket prices - if the team had a "superstar" I could see higher prices. Wallace is a great player but does not act/endorsements like a "superstar". Next, a winning team... if the team was going to do well, then I could see higher prices... 15-22 (current record) states they are a losing team. Going once to the playoffs does not make you a good team (especially when most of the players on that team leave). To me, the team doesn't validate the high ticket prices.

Another gripe I have with the Bobcats. They drafted horribly; only drafted one good player (Felton, allowed him to walk) and one decent player (Okafor). The rest are terrible (Augustin is bust IMO). They are terrible with holding onto talent as well.

If the Bobcats actually showed me they could do something, it would make it more worthwhile to see them more than when my team (Orlando Magic) come to town.

Quote:
Originally Posted by 704
We need to get over the Bobcats and give the Panthers more room to practice (TWC) lol
Speaking of overpriced... see the Panthers organization. Panthers are actually worse than the Bobcats (which is sad since both teams are terrible). I guess you can only get better from a league worst 2-14 lol

Old 01-15-2011, 12:42 AM

617 posts, read 1,422,971 times
The Charlotte Hornets rolled of the tongue much easier than the New Orleans Hornets, give it some time and the team will eventually get better and win over more fans in the long run.

Old 01-15-2011, 08:09 AM

1,877 posts, read 4,863,254 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by gators93 View Post
And if I remember correctly, on top of the stadium deal and high ticket prices, the team made a deal with local cable so that to even see the games on TV required an extra cable subscription. The idea was to force folks to go to the stadium. What really happened was it completely alienated the city. Folks did not even have an option to watch the games on TV and thus had no way to support the team. In my book, the team had three strikes in the first year.

Also if I remember correctly the Hornets set NBA records for complete sell-out games for years. So Charlotte is completely capable of supporting a team. But the Bobcats fell hard from self-inflicted wounds and I have never seen them make any concerted effort to make up for their mistakes with the city.
Seriously?? How about some new material man?? At the end of last season (and in spite of it being their best season ever), the Bobcats REDUCED the per game price of season tickets. EVERY game this season has been/ will be broadcast on Sports South. The Bobcats donated $250,000 to help save middle school sports. The list goes on and on- yet still the same old, played out BS excuses. What would make you happy? A personal apology for the team's start, from Michael Jordan himself? Get a grip man!!

Old 01-15-2011, 08:34 AM

1,877 posts, read 4,863,254 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by ncopus99 View Post
Outside Gerald Wallace, none of the rest of the players are any close to a star. Jackson is a "mid" level guy that is overpAID (fixed), far from a star. Ask the normal charlotte crowd/any basketball fan, most would be hard to name more than a player or two that plays for the Bobcats.

Ticket prices - if the team had a "superstar" I could see higher prices. Wallace is a great player but does not act/endorsements like a "superstar". Next, a winning team... if the team was going to do well, then I could see higher prices... 15-22 (current record) states they are a losing team. Going once to the playoffs does not make you a good team (especially when most of the players on that team leave). To me, the team doesn't validate the high ticket prices. Again, you obviously have NO idea what you're talking about. Seats comparable to those I pay $1500/ea/season would cost $4950/ea/season in Orlando- thats more than 3 times what I pay!

Another gripe I have with the Bobcats. They drafted horribly; only drafted one good player (Felton, allowed him to walk) and one decent player (Okafor). The rest are terrible (Augustin is bust IMO). They are terrible with holding onto talent as well. Augustin's a bust?? Seems our "Bust" is averaging greater than a PPG more than Orlando's PG. Also, DJ's APG and SPG is pretty darn close to Nelson's- all for about 5 million less per season. I'd take that "Bust" any day! Oh- and of you saw DJ's performance against Derrick Rose, maybe you wouldnt waste your time posting this crap.

If the Bobcats actually showed me they could do something, it would make it more worthwhile to see them more than when my team (Orlando Magic) come to town. Im going to bet you're one of those obnoxious Howard jersey wearing fans. Frankly, I hate that I have to see you all at the arena twice a year- I'd rather the place be empty, than filled with bandwagon fans from other cities!

Speaking of overpriced... see the Panthers organization. Panthers are actually worse than the Bobcats (which is sad since both teams are terrible). I guess you can only get better from a league worst 2-14 lol

Old 01-15-2011, 10:06 AM

30 posts, read 126,569 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Hoagie58 View Post
Seriously?? How about some new material man?? At the end of last season (and in spite of it being their best season ever), the Bobcats REDUCED the per game price of season tickets. EVERY game this season has been/ will be broadcast on Sports South. The Bobcats donated $250,000 to help save middle school sports. The list goes on and on- yet still the same old, played out BS excuses. What would make you happy? A personal apology for the team's start, from Michael Jordan himself? Get a grip man!!
They don't need to make me happy and no apology necessary. I, like apparently quite a few others, moved on to other activities that I enjoy more. There are reasons the Hornets had 350+ straight sell out games (~9 years) and the Bobcat attendance is what it is.

Old 01-15-2011, 10:19 AM

1,218 posts, read 2,988,877 times
I did enjoy the $10 tickets at the end of last year Im sure the scalpers hated that! Ive only purchased ticketd from the box office ONCE, and thats because I had a buy 1 get 1 ticket offer. Otherwise, i go right to the scalpers.

Want high ticket prices? In 2009 i tried to go to a pre-season Knicks game in NYC. Cheapest seat was around $100, and they were NOT that great of a team.

Jackson is a solid player, though sometimes thinks he is better then he is (see the New Jersey game on NYE). Nazi will come into his own, and Im a big Matt Carroll fan but, many people think he sucks, but the new coaching staff is giving him more playing time. If Wallace left, and wasnt replaced with someone big, they wouldnt have any star power. Every team needs a star, and Wallace fits that bill (and doesnt provide any over-rated drama like Lebron would, thankfully).

Old 01-15-2011, 10:31 AM

7,943 posts, read 17,244,959 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by DaysofThundr46 View Post

I will never understand why they blew up a perfectly good arena.... but, PLENTY of other states and sports teams do this constantly. Why does Walmart always build new stores and abandon the smaller one? Same with a lot of things, they all want bigger and better.

I love the arena.... its very clean, great seating layout, and i love the location, as I can go one block over to the epicentre. That way i dont have to eat inside the arena
Wasn't the old arena in a very suburban location, out of the way? It was more than likely built during a time when uptown was plagued with high crime and suburbanites wouldn't go there (the city I came from had this problem). The people wanted the arena built in the burbs but the city built it downtown and a lot of people wouldn't go because of safety concerns. With all the revitalization in Charlotte however, I can understand why the city wanted an uptown arena. They just shouldn't have put it up to vote in the first place if they were going to build it anyways. That said, it is built now, and boycotting the Bobcats because you don't like the product or are not a basketball fan is perfectly valid, but boycotting them to protest the arena does absolutely no good.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > North Carolina > Charlotte