Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > North Carolina > Charlotte
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 01-15-2011, 10:52 AM

8,237 posts, read 13,520,038 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by bchris02 View Post
Wasn't the old arena in a very suburban location, out of the way? It was more than likely built during a time when uptown was plagued with high crime and suburbanites wouldn't go there (the city I came from had this problem). The people wanted the arena built in the burbs but the city built it downtown and a lot of people wouldn't go because of safety concerns. With all the revitalization in Charlotte however, I can understand why the city wanted an uptown arena. They just shouldn't have put it up to vote in the first place if they were going to build it anyways. That said, it is built now, and boycotting the Bobcats because you don't like the product or are not a basketball fan is perfectly valid, but boycotting them to protest the arena does absolutely no good.

The old arena was on Tyvola Road, a very good location and beautiful arena.

The city did not want an uptown arena.....the voters said no, the politicians
blew the voters off and built it anyway.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 01-15-2011, 11:09 AM

7,943 posts, read 17,256,347 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Chromekitty View Post
The old arena was on Tyvola Road, a very good location and beautiful arena.

The city did not want an uptown arena.....the voters said no, the politicians
blew the voters off and built it anyway.
From my understanding, the old arena was very "no frills" one of the worst in the NBA. I guess the old arena could have been revamped instead of building a new one. Maybe could have built something like the epicenter near the old arena to complement it instead of building it uptown. I think Indianapolis did the same thing to the RCA Dome, which had about as long of a run as the Charlotte Colosseum and was a much nicer facility. How many years ago was this anyways?

Old 01-15-2011, 11:20 AM

8,237 posts, read 13,520,038 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by bchris02 View Post
From my understanding, the old arena was very "no frills" one of the worst in the NBA. I guess the old arena could have been revamped instead of building a new one. Maybe could have built something like the epicenter near the old arena to complement it instead of building it uptown. How many years ago was this anyways?

The arena served its purpose. I can remember the hullabalo over the million dollar score board that fell from the ceiling. So, I wouldn't say that it wasn't
totally no frills.

They had a tremendous amount of land with super parking.

There was nothing wrong with the arena at all, it served its purpose and even accommodated more people than the current arena.

I can't remember the exact year though?

Old 01-15-2011, 11:38 AM

8,804 posts, read 10,246,449 times
Completed in 1988, demolished in 2007. Built when a majority of teams were playing in buildings that were 20-30 years old, and looking to build new ones themselves.

Old 01-15-2011, 01:14 PM

198 posts, read 261,997 times
The argument about the arena is full of ignorance. The arena on Tyvola was bogus from the start. Should have never been built there. A short history. Before Tyvola road was constructed all of the land where the old arena was built was landlocked and located next to the city dump. The golf course and park there now is constucted on the old dump site. Before the dump was closed some powerful people within the city started to purchase land neighboring the Dump. Remember this is landlock property that is bordering a dump thus the land was dirt cheap. Then the dump was closed and the city decided it would no longer be in the landfill business and began paying dump fees to the speedway landfill a landfill that it once controlled but gave it up and began paying thirty to fifty dollars a ton to get rid of its trash.. Meanwhile someone just happen to decide along the way to extend Tyvola road thus unlocking the property neighboring what once was the dump. There was evidence at that time that a downtown arena would be better for the city but doing that would have negatively impacted the pre Tyvola rd land investors. These where the powrbrokers at the time thus the arena ended up on Tyvola.
Once it had served it purpose of spurring development around it the pwoers that be wanted to move it downtown. George Shinn the owner of the Hornets offered to remodel or purchase the arena for the Hornets and they ran him out of town.

Old 01-15-2011, 03:04 PM

3,071 posts, read 9,140,968 times
Its not about getting over the hornets for most people .Its all about the very nice arena that the tax payers still owed many millions on being torn down and then in spite of a massive vote NOT to build a new area up town "they" did it any way..The general public got scammed and they will never support any thing they have in the rip off new arena....Tax payers dont like to see their money thrown away and will never forget it...I wont

Old 01-15-2011, 03:24 PM

Its not about getting over the hornets for most people .Its all about the very nice arena that the tax payers still owed many millions on being torn down and then in spite of a massive vote NOT to build a new area up town "they" did it any way..The general public got scammed and they will never support any thing they have in the rip off new arena....Tax payers dont like to see their money thrown away and will never forget it...I wont

Old 01-15-2011, 05:11 PM

3,866 posts, read 4,280,054 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Nativechief View Post
There is support for the teams that play there now, Bobcats and Checkers, tons of events to include the CIAA, ACC, and concerts amongst other things. And if the Bobcats improve, the attendance will also.

The show will go on and not miss a beat, with or without you, no one's too big for the show...not even the Big Aristotle.

Old 01-15-2011, 05:12 PM

2,532 posts, read 3,452,758 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Hoagie58 View Post
Again, you obviously have NO idea what you're talking about. Seats comparable to those I pay $1500/ea/season would cost $4950/ea/season in Orlando- thats more than 3 times what I pay!
Orlando A) has a winning record B) has the best big man in the NBA C) has a roster full of talented stars (see Richardson, Arenas, etc) D) went to the finals in 09, playoffs consistently since 07 E) a brand new arena

As for pricing... looking into single game (as season tickets are no longer offered)... Magic upper bowl center ticket is 52. Charlotte upper bowl center ticket is 46. Sounds pretty far from your numbers. 6(difference in ticket price) x 40 (home games)=240...

Quote:
Augustin's a bust?? Seems our "Bust" is averaging greater than a PPG more than Orlando's PG. Also, DJ's APG and SPG is pretty darn close to Nelson's- all for about 5 million less per season. I'd take that "Bust" any day! Oh- and of you saw DJ's performance against Derrick Rose, maybe you wouldnt waste your time posting this crap.
Oh wow a good night. Rondo posted 19 points, 13 assists, 6 rebounds on him last night (rondo only averages 10pts). But hey I wouldn't have wasted a post talking about how one good night makes a player "great". Again... Augustin, at best on another team, is a backup point guard (just like last year backing up Felton).

As for Nelson, he isn't one of the NBA premiere guards. He is a scorer and doesn't look for assists i.e. does not play like a true point guard. That's why alot of time Turkoglu acts like the point guard (watch our games and you will see a completely different dynamic from that aspect).

Quote:
Im going to bet you're one of those obnoxious Howard jersey wearing fans. Frankly, I hate that I have to see you all at the arena twice a year- I'd rather the place be empty, than filled with bandwagon fans from other cities!
First off, I am far from a bandwagon fan. I have followed my team since their origins (terry catlidge, scotty skiles, etc). I lived in Orlando for over 15+ years. I am not the only one that moved from another area of the country here that had teams they supported prior to coming here to live.

Old 01-15-2011, 05:21 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Big Aristotle View Post
There is support for the teams that play there now, Bobcats and Checkers, tons of events to include the CIAA, ACC, and concerts amongst other things. And if the Bobcats improve, the attendance will also.

The show will go on and not miss a beat, with or without you, no one's too big for the show...not even the Big Aristotle.
So why all the crying about a half empty arena? I wish it would go on WITHOUT my tax dollars..People that pay taxes here are really the only ones that should have a voice on the matter....Ive paid have you?
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > North Carolina > Charlotte