Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > North Carolina > Charlotte
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 01-15-2011, 06:20 PM

3,866 posts, read 4,273,825 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Nativechief View Post
So why all the crying about a half empty arena? I wish it would go on WITHOUT my tax dollars..People that pay taxes here are really the only ones that should have a voice on the matter....Ive paid have you?
Well, definitely pay my taxes here, I too have a voice and will continue to enjoy events at the arena and accept the fact that my tax dollars are used for other public goods and services that don't provide any benefit to me.

I accept your position on the arena and it's within your right to protest the way you deem most appropriate. But the anti-arena crowd is old news and not the problem, the current NBA product in Charlotte is - 20 years ago, the Hornet's were new and the only show in town.

Charlotte's metro is 2x the size (with a transplant and demographic shift who could care less about a 10-year old arena vote) and many more entertainment options; plus a tough economy to boot and everyone's more prudent with a dollar today.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 01-15-2011, 06:31 PM

1,218 posts, read 2,988,877 times
Anyone have the old address or exact location of the old arena? Anything still there? I'd love to go by and see.

How is the new arena "uptown"? Thats not downtown? I guess i dont understand how everything is divided up.

Old 01-15-2011, 06:36 PM

2,532 posts, read 3,449,764 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by DaysofThundr46 View Post
Anyone have the old address or exact location of the old arena? Anything still there? I'd love to go by and see.

How is the new arena "uptown"? Thats not downtown? I guess i dont understand how everything is divided up.
Based on google maps.
100 Paul Buck Boulevard
Charlotte, NC 28217

Uptown is the name of downton in Charlotte. It is the area inside I-277.

Old 01-15-2011, 06:58 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by ncopus99 View Post
Based on google maps.
100 Paul Buck Boulevard
Charlotte, NC 28217

Uptown is the name of downton in Charlotte. It is the area inside I-277.
Oh, i thought it meant the "uptown" section of the city. I just call it "downtown Charlotte".

Old 01-15-2011, 07:12 PM

8,402 posts, read 24,215,373 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by DaysofThundr46 View Post

It's uptown if your pinky sticks out when you drink, and downtown if you're everyone else.

The old colisuem, (the newer old coliseum, the really old coliseum (Bojangles' Coliseum - Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia) has continued to be economically viable for 55 years) is a field now. Abandoned after only 17 years, it was once the largest NBA home arena. The city sold it, probably for a mind bogglingly loss, to a developer, who bulldozed it. What a waste.

Charlotte Coliseum - Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia

Old 01-15-2011, 07:27 PM

3,071 posts, read 9,135,150 times
What seems sorta dumb to me was the need to tear down the arena on tyvola. That building could have been by the school system for a new high school and ALL of the office space CMS would need for 50 years. It also could have been renovated inside to make office space for the many growing city departments.....But now when the school system needs more space it will cost us zillions to build new buildings or even office space for the city. Parking there would NEVER be the expensive and somewhat unsafe conditions everyone who goes downtown has to face,,,It was a great building. With its location very close to I85 andI77 Im sure getting in and out was much easier than trying to get in and out of the NEW arena downtown....go figure and then try to figure out why the new one is so small that it cant handle some events,,,I cry fowl.Dont forget also that when the hornets left everyone with a PSL lost it all....Millions paid for PSLs down the drain. Believe me people are still angry about this.

Old 01-15-2011, 07:59 PM

3,866 posts, read 4,273,825 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Nativechief View Post
What seems sorta dumb to me was the need to tear down the arena on tyvola. That building could have been by the school system for a new high school and ALL of the office space CMS would need for 50 years. It also could have been renovated inside to make office space for the many growing city departments.....But now when the school system needs more space it will cost us zillions to build new buildings or even office space for the city. Parking there would NEVER be the expensive and somewhat unsafe conditions everyone who goes downtown has to face,,,It was a great building. With its location very close to I85 andI77 Im sure getting in and out was much easier than trying to get in and out of the NEW arena downtown....go figure and then try to figure out why the new one is so small that it cant handle some events,,,I cry fowl.Dont forget also that when the hornets left everyone with a PSL lost it all....Millions paid for PSLs down the drain. Believe me people are still angry about this.
A high school? You can't be serious, it would cost more to renovate the bldg than build from scratch for the uses you suggest to meet building code requirements, etc...no way. Close to I-85??? Getting downtown Charlotte isn't comparable to driving downtown NY, DC or Chi-town; it's easy. Sounds as if though you live in a small world.

PSLs...I don't recall the old baskeball arena or any basketball arena in America selling PSLs. Are you thinking Panthers?

Old 01-15-2011, 08:31 PM

8,402 posts, read 24,215,373 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Big Aristotle View Post
A high school? You can't be serious, it would cost more to renovate the bldg than build from scratch for the uses you suggest to meet building code requirements, etc...no way. Close to I-85??? Getting downtown Charlotte isn't comparable to driving downtown NY, DC or Chi-town; it's easy. Sounds as if though you live in a small world.

PSLs...I don't recall the old baskeball arena or any basketball arena in America selling PSLs. Are you thinking Panthers?
I can't knowingly refute what you say about upfit costs or code requirements. But I do think we're an increasingly wasteful and arrogant society when we're willing to throw away a 17 year old structure like that. It was in excellent condition and certainly could have been converted to some useful purpose. The city only kept it two years after the final game there. In city time, that's not long enough put together a lunch order. How did we so quickly reach the conclusion that it was worth so little?

I think it was yet another wasteful decision by the city.

Old 01-15-2011, 10:28 PM

3,071 posts, read 9,135,150 times
vmax I agree. That building was made to safely hold 20k people Im sure the "building codes" wouldnt prevent putting offices inside with reasonable modifications. No reason a school of some type wouldn't work either. It already had a nice basket ball court and by building classrooms inside no one can say that would be worse than the hundreds of portable classrooms they use now. Building office sites inside wouldnt cost what building from scratch would...That was one big building. Problem is the crooks and liers who cut deals just wanted the uptown area to have everythig. we still owe 30 million on it from what i read not long ago. who says a school or an office building has to be square..

Old 01-15-2011, 10:43 PM

The old arena would of been great as a mall..... just sayin
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > North Carolina > Charlotte