Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > West Virginia > Charleston
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 03-31-2022, 10:04 AM

6,071 posts, read 9,095,810 times

Advertisements

https://wchstv.com/news/local/charle...-and-blue-look

I don't know to which thread this should belong, so I dropped it here. They are going to paint the Chuck Yeager Bridge(s), one blue, and the other gold. These are the interstate bridges (I-64/77) that cross over the Kanawha River at Kanawha City. These bridges desperately needed painted, and I believe that this scheme will look good and bring on some Mountaineer pride in the Kanawha Valley. Similar to how blue out voted green for the Fort Hill bridge that was painted years back.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 04-27-2022, 07:03 AM

I didn't want to create a thread just for this topic, so I figured this would be the best place for it.

Both Work Force WV and CVS are moving out of Plaza East. I do not know anything about CVS and why they are moving (or where to for that matter) but Work Force WV is moving to the old Elder Beerman in Kanawha City. I like the move, but at the same time I don't like losing the EB spot to more office space when I feel like there's other options for that. I know that the chances of a store going into the EB building are becoming very slim. Especially with the development of the Park Place development. However, that is a nice building that would have served a retailer well.

https://wchsnetwork.com/workforce-wv...pansion-plans/

Old 04-27-2022, 09:43 AM

2,021 posts, read 4,613,071 times
Maybe they can bulldoze what is left of that plaza and put a Kroger back on the East End. Or some other decent quality grocery store.

Old 04-27-2022, 11:44 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by NOVAmtneer82 View Post
Maybe they can bulldoze what is left of that plaza and put a Kroger back on the East End. Or some other decent quality grocery store.
I like that idea! This would be a great opportunity for the East End to finally get a grocery store again.

Old 04-27-2022, 01:05 PM

2,021 posts, read 4,613,071 times
Make it kind of warehouse looking themed to go with the neighborhood including Power Park. The old East End Kroger was a DUMP (small like the one on the West Side was before they put the current one in where the old Lincoln Jr. High used to be)- a new one would fit in with the new condos that have gone in both there and also there's still a lot of people in the East End. People from Oakridge, Woodbridge, etc would likely use it too as it would be shorter than the hike to upper end of Kanawha City Kroger.

Old 04-28-2022, 06:18 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by NOVAmtneer82 View Post
Make it kind of warehouse looking themed to go with the neighborhood including Power Park. The old East End Kroger was a DUMP (small like the one on the West Side was before they put the current one in where the old Lincoln Jr. High used to be)- a new one would fit in with the new condos that have gone in both there and also there's still a lot of people in the East End. People from Oakridge, Woodbridge, etc would likely use it too as it would be shorter than the hike to upper end of Kanawha City Kroger.
I certainly like the idea of the warehouse theme. Another component could be additional space for CAMC. Maybe any new development could be a mixture between a grocery store and medical offices for the hospital.

I have a hard time imagining that Kroger would be interested in opening another store in town. They have closed a few stores in recent years in the area. Maybe this is a chance for a competitor to enter the market. Giant Eagle is a bit of a stretch, but they have stores in Indiana, Ohio, and Pennsylvania (plus Morgantown). Would they ever consider pushing further into the Mountain State? Several potential markets for them that would actually make sense would be Parkersburg (they have a store in Marietta) and Clarksburg/Bridgeport. Maybe Charleston is not too far out of reach.

Other options might be another Adli or a Walmart Neighborhood Market. I think an Aldi would meet a need in that part of town, but wouldn't enhance the appeal of the neighborhood. Walmart doesn't seem like a good fit, considering their grocery stores are for more suburban atmospheres.

I know this is all wishful thinking, but anyone with half a brain and a visionary mindset can see the potential.

Old 05-17-2022, 11:36 AM

1,889 posts, read 2,148,712 times
A downtown grocery store is a must if the city leaders want to see more people live within the city.

Old 05-19-2022, 09:29 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by aeros71 View Post
A downtown grocery store is a must if the city leaders want to see more people live within the city.
100% agree. I'd like to see something like a Kroger Fresh Fare, which is a smaller Kroger that focuses on fresh produce and ready made meals (from what I understand). In downtown Saratoga Springs (where I work) there was a smaller Price Chopper that had this same type of concept. They recently closed, but not because they weren't busy.

I think a great spot for a grocery store would be somewhere contained within the block defined by Leon Sullivan, Lee, Quarrier, and Dickinson streets. It would be a great location considering all of the recent residential units that have gone along Quarrier, and what will be on Hale. Also, it's also right on the edge of the East End. That would be a welcomed business for sure!

Old 06-09-2022, 11:40 AM

The Fountain Hobby Building in Elk City has been saved from the brink of destruction, and is now owned by Dr. Patton would renovated the old Kelly's Men Shop into his medical practice. He has no plans for the building, but plans to restore it and see if anyone is interested in buying or renting it.

https://www.wvgazettemail.com/busine...84c242d9c.html

This is great considering the historical significance of the building and its unique charm in that part of the city. I personally would like to see Mea Cuppa move into the space from their current spot. Another idea is some kind of outdoor recreational equipment store, considering the young hipster crowd that is taking over Elk City.

A brewery with the name "Fountain" or "Hobby" would be a nice homage to the structure.

Old 06-23-2022, 07:31 AM

The city is investing over $8 million to install turf at 10 athletic fields across the city. Included in that is Power Park, which is kind of a bummer because the sod/grass they have is always pristine.

https://wchstv.com/news/local/ten-at...on-to-get-turf

Everyone around here is finally entering the 21st century when it comes to turf. All the High Schools finally have it, South Charleston's parks have it, Shawnee Sports Complex, etc...
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > West Virginia > Charleston