Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > West Virginia > Charleston
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 05-25-2018, 04:07 AM

6,081 posts, read 9,120,563 times

Advertisements

Distillery in the works for "Little Staats" Building on West Side. This is the second planned distillery for the city, with one in the works on Capitol St. Elk City has a lot going for it right now with the recent announcement of Bridge Valley, the new businesses that have opened up in recent years, and the ones that plan on opening in the near future. It would be nice to see some more renovated apartments, or possibly new construction through there. There is room for a couple new apartment buildings in that part of town.

https://www.wvgazettemail.com/busine...540a5e9fa.html
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 05-26-2018, 07:17 PM

585 posts, read 595,761 times
I see someone is clearing out the old TGI Friday’s. No idea what they are doing with that.

Old 05-29-2018, 06:31 PM

778 posts, read 797,166 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by JohnNada View Post
I see someone is clearing out the old TGI Friday’s. No idea what they are doing with that.

I asked a few of the people I know in commercial real estate and I got the idea that no one knows. Each had a different take on the property; Las Agave; Pinchana American Brazilian Steakhouse; Cheddar's; Fat Patty's and the really odd one: Fifth Third Bank.

Old 05-29-2018, 07:52 PM

Please no not another cookie-cutter Mexican restaurant. I did see today that the B&D Gastro Pub has a sign displayed saying it will be an Indian restaurant.

Old 05-30-2018, 07:17 AM

6,081 posts, read 9,120,563 times
Cheddar’s would be welcome! If an exit lane was made down to the main exit of the development, then that wouldn’t be a bad spot for just about anything. Right now, access to the site is not ideal.

Old 06-01-2018, 07:16 AM

I looked at the site again yesterday. I can’t tell if they are prepping it for demo or recycling it. If it’s a recycle then it will be more of what we already have with a really nice stained glass window. Especially if it’s Mexican. It’s been told to me that most if not all Mexican restaurants here are owned by the same people? Is this true? It might explain why most of them taste the same except Cozumel is a little different. Honestly I think a Carrabas would be a home run here based on how busy OG is. Not sure about anything else.

Old 06-01-2018, 07:52 AM

778 posts, read 797,166 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by JohnNada View Post
I looked at the site again yesterday. I can’t tell if they are prepping it for demo or recycling it. If it’s a recycle then it will be more of what we already have with a really nice stained glass window. Especially if it’s Mexican. It’s been told to me that most if not all Mexican restaurants here are owned by the same people? Is this true? It might explain why most of them taste the same except Cozumel is a little different. Honestly I think a Carrabas would be a home run here based on how busy OG is. Not sure about anything else.

It is my understanding that there is a large extended family that owns each of the chains in the area - Las Agave, La Carreta and Rio Grande. I do not know if that is true, but they are all very similar in the way they run and the taste of the food. Las Trancas and Cozumel seem to be one-ofs in the valley but I base that strictly on their - to my tongue - unique food taste. I prefer Cozumel. I used to like La Carreta in Kanawha City before it moved, but the food changed when they moved and I only went back a couple of times.

I think we have more than enough Mexican outlets in the metro area. If it is Indian, that is cool. I will never go there but it adds color. I would prefer something else though. Italian is my go to and outside of Olive Garden - not very Italian to me, we could use a better selection. Macaroni Grill or Buca de Beppo. I would really like to see a Brio's Tuscan Grill, but they are on the scale of Cheesecake Factory when it comes to site locations. I would even go for a Max and Ermas even if it is not Italian.

When I moved from Cincinnati, Turkish and Sushi outlets were all the rage and that followed on the heels of the Greek wave, which we have not seen here either. Turkish is different, it is an acquired taste, everything smelled like fresh potting soil and newly cut lawn. Very earthy. The Sushi bars don't get my money; I never found the allure of eating in a tackle and bait shop.

Old 06-01-2018, 08:26 AM

As usual another great post Caden. You are so right on the mark with La Caretta. That and the Azteca before it were my go to places for a long time. Then I don’t know maybe 10 years ago give or take the food there became terribly generic and would be my last choice for Mexican now.

Old 06-02-2018, 11:36 AM

2,021 posts, read 4,619,147 times
Caden- I got quite a laugh out of the tackle and bait shop comment and that is even as a sushi lover.

Charleston seems well served on the Mexican front but if we go out when visiting I prefer Cozumel or Los Agaves. More Indian restaurants or even a solid Korean BBQ place would be good. I am in agreement on the need for quality Italian as well- Olive Garden and Fazios do not cut it (in my opinion).

Old 06-02-2018, 12:01 PM

I will be burnt at the stake for this but Fazios is not worthy of the hype. I have had a decent steak there but the Italian food is average if that. I will now proceed to the fallout shelter.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > West Virginia > Charleston