Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > West Virginia > Charleston
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 06-02-2018, 12:42 PM

2,021 posts, read 4,618,450 times

Advertisements

Not by me you wont as I've literally said the same thing - I've had a decent steak or two there but the Italian food is mediocre at best. I've always found the majority of the staff to be rude as well.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 06-02-2018, 03:40 PM

778 posts, read 796,932 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by NOVAmtneer82 View Post
Not by me you wont as I've literally said the same thing - I've had a decent steak or two there but the Italian food is mediocre at best. I've always found the majority of the staff to be rude as well.

I concur.

The best Italian food I ever had was at Adriatica's in Cincinnati, but when it comes to chain Italian, I can't promote Brio's Tuscan Grill. Superb quality, constantly changing menu and while you might think the prices are a teensy bit high, after you see what you get for it, you will not think that. I have never had anything but the best service at one of their locations.

Old 06-02-2018, 04:47 PM

6,081 posts, read 9,117,767 times
Best Italian restaurants is Leonoro's hands down IMO.

Old 06-04-2018, 06:47 AM

Any idea on what might replace the old CAMC hotel across from Memorial Hospital? It appears that they are demolishing the building. My guess CAMC is taking it down for more parking (which is sad), however that would make a great spot for a Sheetz LOL.

Also, noticed the work that was going on at the TGIF building. I saw a large pile of materials that likely came from the interior, as if they were gutting the inside. The outside seemed to be mostly untouched other than the signage and awnings were gone. I hope the tear the building down, but the evidence might suggest a re-purposing.

Old 06-04-2018, 10:32 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Chriscross309 View Post
Any idea on what might replace the old CAMC hotel across from Memorial Hospital? It appears that they are demolishing the building. My guess CAMC is taking it down for more parking (which is sad), however that would make a great spot for a Sheetz LOL.

Also, noticed the work that was going on at the TGIF building. I saw a large pile of materials that likely came from the interior, as if they were gutting the inside. The outside seemed to be mostly untouched other than the signage and awnings were gone. I hope the tear the building down, but the evidence might suggest a re-purposing.

It is possible they will still tear down a portion of the exterior of the building. Often these sites employ more than one team to do the demolition. Some specialize in interior work because of things like asbestos or other toxic materials or perhaps even the type of material being removed. Exterior companies are often selected because of they remove the debris and where it goes.

The reason repurposing might be the outcome is the tax and loan laws favor repurposing with significant breaks, but generally only a percentage of the original structure needs to remain to qualify. Sometimes, the entire structure will still come down if the interior demolition uncovers structural issues that the original plans cannot absorb.

Old 06-04-2018, 03:43 PM

146 posts, read 166,854 times
anybody heard what ever happened to the Wyndham putting their flag on the old Heart of Town? That was announced over a year ago........typical......

Old 06-04-2018, 04:50 PM

583 posts, read 595,357 times
Not a word on that. It’s gotten to the point that I’m so skeptical about any developments in the area that I disgust myself for thinking that way but I pretty much cast a hefty load of doubt on any of these announcements. Even if they do come to fruition then they will be a far cry from what was originally announced. See I did it again!

Old 06-04-2018, 05:20 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by JohnNada View Post
Not a word on that. It’s gotten to the point that I’m so skeptical about any developments in the area that I disgust myself for thinking that way but I pretty much cast a hefty load of doubt on any of these announcements. Even if they do come to fruition then they will be a far cry from what was originally announced. See I did it again!

Honestly, I see zero need for a hotel, much less two at that site. If I owned them I would merge them together again with the flying bridges and turn the entire complex into condominiums. There is plenty of room for amenities and each could have a climate enclosed parking garage that better condos require. The small alley way between them is not required and could be utilized to connect the ground floors if desired.

But someone thinks a hotel will work there. Even when the city had 80,000 population it did not work. I would like to see the planning and forecast report for any hotel there.

Old 06-05-2018, 08:10 AM

I would say that there isn’t a need for both hotels, but I could see one staying a hotel, and the other renovated into housing. The problem with that particular site is the proximity to 2 homeless shelters and the Covenant House. That has become a rough stretch, and most people feel unsafe around there. The shelters aren’t going anywhere, so unless the homeless problem starts to turn around, that area will not be suitable for new development. Ideally, that whole area would be a prime spot for new housing and development. It’s a gateway to the Clay Center, Power Park, CAMC, Capitol Market, Downtown, the East End, etc... I would love to see the warehouse to the P.O. removed and replaced with something, and the buildings further down Leon Sullivan Way renovated into restaurants and businesses. Not to forget the Holly site, and the parking lots across from the P.O. on Lee Street could and should be developed. Can anyone else see a mixed use development with a grocery store on the ground level?

Old 06-05-2018, 09:17 AM

583 posts, read 595,357 times
Grocery store would be nice but I don’t even think it’s on the radar anymore. That area of the east end and really the whole east end would be great to tie into housing for UC as well. They need to grow into the east end somehow. They are sort of land locked. I figure one day they will inherit in some way the Columbia Gas and the Frontier buildings. Probably down the road a while I hope for economic reasons. I actually hope never but if it did happen UC would be the ideal new owner. Reminds me of several years ago when Fred Haddad was still around at one point they were talking of converting the Columbia Gas build to....A Hotel!

There was also a time about 20 years ago that they wanted to tear down Laidley Field and convert it to... A Hotel.

Then a few years back they were looking at the old Steak and Ale site for you guessed it... A Hotel.

What happened to the Hampton Inn a or Hilton Garden being pushed for beside the Lowe’s in KC beside of Fujiyama? That was another proposal too.

Charleston has some crazy hang ups I guess with wanting to build hotels.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > West Virginia > Charleston