Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > West Virginia > Charleston
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 04-23-2019, 09:46 AM

6,080 posts, read 9,114,480 times

Advertisements

Anyone else notice how ugly the former Huntington Bank tower looks now without the Huntington Bank logo? I hope they can land a name brand company to advertise on there building so that we don't have to look at that mess for years and years.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 04-26-2019, 10:52 AM

778 posts, read 796,664 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Chriscross309 View Post
Anyone else notice how ugly the former Huntington Bank tower looks now without the Huntington Bank logo? I hope they can land a name brand company to advertise on there building so that we don't have to look at that mess for years and years.
I have been told by a friend of mine in the city that the building is in really bad condition. She said she would not be surprised if it was torn down. Only 3 floors are occupied and those tenants would leave if not locked into a lease. The garage is in rather good shape but it is past its useful date of 30 years without a major over haul. I have said it before, half jokingly and half serious, the best piece of equipment the city could own is a bull dozer. We have a lot of buildings like this littering the area.

I would rather see it razed and new 3 or 4 floor stone construction replace it to match up better with the other buildings on Hale.

Old 05-07-2019, 09:17 AM

Noticed that the Holiday Inn Express across from the Civic Center is getting some exterior work. Glad that they are at least interested in improving their look, now that the CC has a fresh look. I hope that it looks somewhat decent when its all said and done.

Also the doctor's office that is going in the former Kelly's Men shop is coming along well with its remodel. I think it will look great on that corner.

Old 06-07-2019, 10:35 AM

Plans to remodel the Atlas Building on Quarrier Street into a mixed use facility with 50 plus apartments and retail is moving forward.

https://wchstv.com/news/local/new-ap...own-charleston

Old 02-17-2020, 03:38 PM

Might just be me, but this is a sad story.

https://www.wowktv.com/news/local/fa...ons-east-side/

This building which has sat empty for years had so much potential, but nobody acted. Now it will be torn down and another empty lot at that intersection.

Old 02-17-2020, 03:43 PM

16,677 posts, read 15,680,560 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Chriscross309 View Post
Might just be me, but this is a sad story.

https://www.wowktv.com/news/local/fa...ons-east-side/

This building which has sat empty for years had so much potential, but nobody acted. Now it will be torn down and another empty lot at that intersection.
I don't think the owner put much effort into getting a tenant into the building.

On the bright side, there will probably be a parking lot. That will be good for the Red Carpet, the Empty Glass, Bluegrass Kitchen, and Tricky Fish.

Old 02-17-2020, 04:01 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by mensaguy View Post
I don't think the owner put much effort into getting a tenant into the building.

On the bright side, there will probably be a parking lot. That will be good for the Red Carpet, the Empty Glass, Bluegrass Kitchen, and Tricky Fish.
There is certainly need for more parking in that area. I’d still like to see somebody put something alfresco style in there. Maybe a designated area for food trucks, so the state government crowd can have some more options.

Old 06-23-2020, 07:17 PM

I haven't really spent much time downtown recently with COVID and all, but I have neglected to update everyone on a coup,e projects.

The renovation to the library is in the beginning stages. They have the area fenced off and they have equipment (nothing big) on site. I'm looking forward to this as it will really help bring a touch of modern to that area.

The B&B Loans building is also being renovated. Work on it has progressed. This is exciting because we have talked about this building for years on here.

Old 06-24-2020, 08:45 AM

286 posts, read 349,011 times
Thank you for the updates! I’m excited to see the finished product of each renovation project

Old 08-11-2020, 10:29 AM

Library is coming along nicely. They've got footers and what looks like an elevator shaft going up along Summer St. It's exciting because this will really look good on that corner.

The Beni Kedem Temple paved the lot beside the Civic Center that used to have the Fifth Quarter restaurant. It's still sad that we can't get something better on that land then a parking lot.

They are doing work on that apartment building along the Elk River "Charleston Arbors" (octagon shaped one) on Clendenin St. I can't tell exactly what thy're doing.

The recently rebranded Ramada (Leon Sullivan Way) and Quality Inn have both been repainted. At first I thought it was tacky, but its grown on me. Both being painted in the ways they were really adds some texture to the skyline. Little improvements like that can go along way!

Went in the Town Center and I continue to be amazed that there is still some nice stores in there. Definitely alot of empty spaces, but if they would add an entertainment component it would sure help bring people back in.

Other then those things, I haven't noticed a whole lot else going on these days with Covid, other then a few smalls things here and there.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > West Virginia > Charleston