Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > West Virginia > Charleston
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 04-25-2018, 11:09 AM

778 posts, read 796,376 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by aeros71 View Post
Do we really need a parking garage on a piece of property with potential to help enhance the waterfront? Also, with the current declining state of brick and mortar retail, why would you want to invest in new retail spaces?

Actually, do we really need another parking garage in Charleston? Within two to three blocks from the Union Building sits 5 parking garages.

I believe city code requires a set number of parking slots to be on-site in new or repurposed developments. If a business is just rehabilitating I think they can get grandfathered but since this is going from Class C commercial to medium density residential, it is going to need parking spaces.

I think the optimum outcome would be a first floor devoted to retail/restaurants with a second and possibly 3rd level with enclosed parking and a roof top devoted to green space for the new residences. It would even be a good location for a gym up there.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 04-26-2018, 12:01 PM

1,642 posts, read 2,422,137 times
I drove by the New China Building in the East End today and noticed they were doing some work on the interior. Anyone have any info?

Old 04-26-2018, 01:52 PM

6,080 posts, read 9,110,796 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by elewis7 View Post
I drove by the New China Building in the East End today and noticed they were doing some work on the interior. Anyone have any info?
Maybe the Empty Glass is finally expanding into that building like they said they were going to a while back?

Old 04-27-2018, 12:39 AM

1,946 posts, read 4,073,815 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Chriscross309 View Post
Maybe the Empty Glass is finally expanding into that building like they said they were going to a while back?
Maybe so. If true, it's been a long time coming. I remember the announcement a few years back that they were going to renovate it into a music venue.

Old 04-29-2018, 07:24 AM

1,889 posts, read 2,151,624 times
https://www.wvnews.com/statejournal/...a1afa22aa.html

I might be in the pessimistic camp on this one because I see a different Charleston unfolding than Mr. McCabe. If Charleston wants to reinvent itself, whoever our new Mayor happens to be, needs to study a city like Des Moines Iowa to learn some lessons on how to reinvent a city.

Old 04-29-2018, 11:18 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by aeros71 View Post
https://www.wvnews.com/statejournal/...a1afa22aa.html

I might be in the pessimistic camp on this one because I see a different Charleston unfolding than Mr. McCabe. If Charleston wants to reinvent itself, whoever our new Mayor happens to be, needs to study a city like Des Moines Iowa to learn some lessons on how to reinvent a city.

In the 1980's when Charleston was reaping the rewards of excellent stewardship of Mayor John Hutchinson from 1971 to 1980, the Capitol was visited by some folks from Idaho. Seemed they wanted to find and emulate a vibrant, growing city that seemed to be doing everything and along the way, they found their search leading them to Charleston. They studied everything, took notes, talked to the city leaders, residents and visitors. They went back home after a couple of months and began working on their own project: Boise.

Boise has become a jewel in the northern Rockies and shows no sign of stopping. Charleston began a long slow decline. Normally, every city suffers through a weak administration here and there but when Mayor Hutchinson suddenly left office, Joe Smith was selected and his administration was as bland as his name suggests. Mike Roark was elected in 1983 and served only one term because he was a coke-head that was not only a user but a distributor. Needless to say his head was not focused on running the city. Next up was Charles Gardener who was appointed to take over the incarcerated Roark. he gets some good press for starting the Magic Island, Haddad Riverfront Park and Corridor G groundwork, but if you look at it, all were negatives to the city. None made money or generated taxes, worse Corridor G has been a boon to the county and South Charleston then to Charleston. He added debt to the ledge and spent all of the money that had been generated. In his fight with Kent Hall (county commissioner) over the desire to expand Charleston - Gardener not only lost he lost so bad, the city will not likely ever try it again.

Next up was Kemp Melton, a guy everyone loved because he was so nice. That was unfortunately for the city, all he had to offer and he stayed on throughout the 1990's. A caretaker that could smile regardless of the situation.

Then there was Jay Goldman, a real estate and banking guy that did absolutely nothing for the city of Charleston but his principle concern, City National Bank prospered during his single term. Hmmm.

Then we get our cherry on the sundae, Danny Jones. His style can be summed up in two words, distracted (mostly by his son's poor choices) and defeatist (he gives into every group that brings any measure of resistance on his administration. He has been the Neville Chamberlain of the City of Charleston and lucky for us we got 4 terms of him.

Now, one of the people wanting to replace him was the communications director for that inept mayor Charles Gardener. Her name is Amy Goodwyn.

A city like Charleston can suffer an oops administration once in a while but since Hutchinson left office in 1980, we have had nothing but unqualified, ungifted, and uncaring mayors.

Old 04-30-2018, 04:15 AM

583 posts, read 594,590 times
As I sit here typing from my invaded neighborhood that was overrun with police last week during a manhunt I must say Caden you pretty much nailed it with that one. Charleston has not had a dynamic mayor for quite some time. I think we have a 26 member council and no term limits for mayor and these things hurt Charleston quite a bit too. I have no idea who to vote for in this next election but best of luck to whoever gets clean up duty. Hopefully someone with a vision for development gets elected.

Old 04-30-2018, 02:08 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by JohnNada View Post
As I sit here typing from my invaded neighborhood that was overrun with police last week during a manhunt I must say Caden you pretty much nailed it with that one. Charleston has not had a dynamic mayor for quite some time. I think we have a 26 member council and no term limits for mayor and these things hurt Charleston quite a bit too. I have no idea who to vote for in this next election but best of luck to whoever gets clean up duty. Hopefully someone with a vision for development gets elected.

Much of the problem is due to the type of government the city of Charleston has. City charters are issued by the state now and have been for some time but the state was not always the arbiter, such as when Charleston was originally formed.

There are two broad models for city governments Mayor-Council or Mayor-Manager.

The Mayor-Manager is uncommon. In it the city council acts a bit more like a legislature and the city often but not always hires a city manager to oversee the various departments and act as the CFO. The council in this setting is very much in the back seat, but they still have a role to play. Generally only large metropolitan cities run this form of government.

The Mayor-Council type which is much more common because it used almost exclusively with the small to medium sized cities across the nation. But, it diverges into two types:

The Strong Mayor-Council subtype is where the mayor has been invested with pretty much every power there is to administer and run a city. Elect the best man and you have a city government that can move forward in breathtaking strides but elect the wrong guy and you have a dictator that can run a city into the ground over night, often for personal gain. The council in this form is little more than a backdrop.

The Weak Mayor-Council subtype should probably be called the Token Mayor-Council of Aldermen, because the Council has all of the power. The mayor has few tools at his disposal and is limited to achieving change or progress through the impact of his or her personality. The council runs everything and the mayor's level of participation is the stooge that takes the blame and looks clownish when taking the credit. No one in the city reports to the mayor because the mayor does not appoint or oversee any department, not even his or her own.

Small cities usually have a city council of 5 to 9 people, rarely more. Almost always with an odd number of members with the odd numbered member acting as a head of council and using their powers only when a deadlock comes into being. They are usually elected by their wards from which they must reside. Charleston elects 20 and then that 20 more or less appoints another 6 that the voters have no say upon. Charleston has 3 to 4 times the normal number of council members. This is nothing but cronyism at it's worst. This vast number of council members milk the city budget and give plenty of cover to deflect public opinion when something goes wrong.

In my opinion the form of government that Charleston has can work when the council and the mayor are working toward a common goal but that has not been the case since Hutchinson. Now the council is filled with little tin horns all thinking they run the place and if you look down the list, none of them has any education in government nor would you be very impressed if you had a causal conversation with them. I think each and every one of them is as dumb as a box of rocks. They could not get a job at any company that demanded performance but they can flourish in city government - that speaks volumes!

To change the city government requires - I think - signatures of 10% of the eligible voters, but it may be 20% - sources conflict. This would not be something the council or anyone in the city can thwart as it would be the will of the people. A minimum of 36 months must pass before any new petition could be started once a change were made.

Personally I find the best form to be the Mayor-Council with a strong mayor-useless council. I dislike a City Manager form because it lets everyone blame a guy not voted into office by the people. The city of Charleston could be no worse under a bad strong mayor than it has been under a bloated, bad city council.

But, the 800-pound elephant in the room is the County. They County and the City of Charleston are at war over who is the king in Kanawha County and Kent Carper, Ken Hall and Hoppy Shores have made a lot of bank on beating the city of Charleston down to the ground. Hoppy Shores tries to come across on his radio show like an enlightened, educated man with the good of the people first and foremost in his mind. The thing first and foremost in his mind is Hoppy Shores - narcissist.

The City of South Charleston has a similar problem to Charleston in that the council there has 8 members for a city of ~13,000. This is 5 too many. But, Frank Mullins, love him or hate - no one is in between has a strong personality combined with a council of laid back members that do not want to fight him, mostly because they are all older than dirt and other things going on in their lives that mean more to them. South Charleston is also one of those petrified places, Ritchie Robb served the bulk of his life as mayor under the same system and there was a time during his term that informal talks were underway for Charleston to absorb South Charleston, things had gotten so bad.

Charleston is at a point where progress can only be made if the voters through the process of democracy elect a dictator and hope for the best. Astounding.

Old 04-30-2018, 03:53 PM

16,677 posts, read 15,676,579 times
The at-large council seats are voted on during the same elections that elect ward council representatives and mayors.

Old 04-30-2018, 04:39 PM

1,889 posts, read 2,151,624 times
In the article, I was skeptical at the title but once I read "It is important to realize that the recent woes of Charleston have not been self-inflicted, but rather the result of a violent reset of the economy brought about by the collapse of the coal industry in southern West Virginia, the slow recovery from the Great Recession, the opioid addiction crisis and the general aging of the population." I knew it was a fluff piece. I'm sorry to break the news to Mr. McCabe but most of the woes and downfalls of Charleston, and West Virginia as a whole, are self-inflicted.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > West Virginia > Charleston