Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > West Virginia > Charleston
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 04-09-2024, 06:28 AM

6,164 posts, read 9,264,931 times

Advertisements

By now I would imagine that most of you have heard that the city has been left with two options regarding the Municipal Auditorium. ZMM Architects evaluated the building and produced some estimates for each option. Leaving it "as is" is not one of the options.

Option 1 is a full renovation of the existing structure.

Quote:
The estimated cost of option one, a full renovation of the Municipal Auditorium as well as an addition, was roughly $25.4 million. Engineers also advised that once completed, the renovated auditorium with the addition would still have many of the functional and operational challenges.
I think the key phrase in this plan is "would still have many of the functional and operational challenges". Here's a rendering of what that might look like, which I really like.

Option 2 is to build a completely new auditorium.

Quote:
The second option including the demolition of the Municipal Auditorium and construction of a new 50,000 SF facility with modern amenities was estimated at roughly $25.2 million.
Here's the full article from WSAZ

https://www.wsaz.com/2024/04/04/city...al-auditorium/

Honestly, I believe option two is much better. The Municipal Auditorium may be old, but it's far from being "historic". I have a lot of fond memories in that building (ie: graduation). But the building is a huge eyesore inside and out.

If simply renovating it won't resolve its issues, then it's time to say farewell. A new building would allow the city to get creative. There's really an amazing opportunity to redevelop that whole side of downtown if all the parties involved would work together. County/City/Mall/Private Sector/etc...

Thoughts?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 04-09-2024, 10:06 AM

147 posts, read 170,265 times
Can I drive the bulldozer Chris???

Old 04-09-2024, 10:30 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by CRWMSPPGH View Post
Can I drive the bulldozer Chris???
Absolutely!

And while you're at it, you could cross the street and get the CTC. Two birds, one bulldozer!

Old 04-09-2024, 10:38 PM

69 posts, read 75,784 times
I agree with Option 2. Rebuild it, start your engines!

Old 04-10-2024, 05:28 AM

16,784 posts, read 15,893,688 times
While the exterior of the Municipal Auditorium has a certain charm, and the building IS on the Historic Register, the problems are HUGE, and some of the issues that have been known for a long time (ADA accessibility) are virtually insurmountable in terms of the existing structure.

I had wondered if they could remove some seats at the rear of the seating space and build better bathrooms, but, when I mentioned that, one of the board members told me about issues back stage. (They don't have usable bathrooms for visiting talent.) I already knew that the mechanic infrastructure was in horrible shape. The stage lighting and backdrop controls are ancient. Some of the structural support back there is wood.

However, the people that know these things recognize the need for a facility to seat ~3500 people, sizing it similar the the Municipal, placing it between the sizes of the Clay Center and the Coliseum.

I think they are going to have to tear it down and build an new one. Maybe they can design something into the facade to reflect the history of the space.

They have figured out how to place chairs in the combined North and South Halls in the Coliseum and Convention center, but they can't get as many seats in that was. I think the manager said they can seat 2500 people that way, but that isn't a permanent solution. It's just a stop gap.

Old 04-10-2024, 05:43 AM

I think that this is a big opportunity for the city. It's time for a master plan for the area. Currently you have the mall owners being sued by the hotel developers, the city and county lumping a sports complex on top of a parking garage, and a perfectly situated plot of land (old Sears Auto) just sitting empty. There's been no effort to coordinate and strategize together. If things don't change, the hotel will probably end up being a Travelodge, the Sears Auto will become a Par Mar, and the sports complex will underwhelm!

Plus you have the Beni Kedem property hogging up precious space next to the Civic Center. IMO, that's where a new Municipal Auditorium should go.

The city needs a vision like they had with the development of the CTC/Marriott/Civic Center.

Old 04-10-2024, 06:06 AM

16,784 posts, read 15,893,688 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Chriscross309 View Post
I think that this is a big opportunity for the city. It's time for a master plan for the area. Currently you have the mall owners being sued by the hotel developers, the city and county lumping a sports complex on top of a parking garage, and a perfectly situated plot of land (old Sears Auto) just sitting empty. There's been no effort to coordinate and strategize together. If things don't change, the hotel will probably end up being a Travelodge, the Sears Auto will become a Par Mar, and the sports complex will underwhelm!

Plus you have the Beni Kedem property hogging up precious space next to the Civic Center. IMO, that's where a new Municipal Auditorium should go.

The city needs a vision like they had with the development of the CTC/Marriott/Civic Center.
The Sears Auto Service property is now owned by a bank. I don't know why they haven't built there yet, but it's private property.

The Beni Kedem Shriners build their building back in the 60s when it was urban renewal property. At one time, they had an opportunity to get the Meadowbrook property where Capital High School now sits, but they [for unknown reasons] declined to do that. They own the property where the Fifth Quarter was, and I imagine that the parking lot there is providing some substantial income for the Shriners, which is a good thing since their membership number are dwindling.

Who is it you think should strategize together that aren't already doing that?

Old 04-10-2024, 08:00 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by mensaguy View Post
The Sears Auto Service property is now owned by a bank. I don't know why they haven't built there yet, but it's private property.

The Beni Kedem Shriners build their building back in the 60s when it was urban renewal property. At one time, they had an opportunity to get the Meadowbrook property where Capital High School now sits, but they [for unknown reasons] declined to do that. They own the property where the Fifth Quarter was, and I imagine that the parking lot there is providing some substantial income for the Shriners, which is a good thing since their membership number are dwindling.

Who is it you think should strategize together that aren't already doing that?
The Hull Group who owns the Town Center and KM Hotels who plan on building a hotel on the Sears site are currently in a court case against each other. KM is suing Hull because they are allegedly holding up construction of the hotel. Those two parties should be working together considering they have mutual interests.

In addition to that, the City and County purchased the old Macy's and plan to tear it down to build part of their sports complex. The other part of the complex will be build overtop a parking garage that is owned by another party. The parking garage may soon come under control of someone else. The Hull Group is in favor of the Sports Complex, but you would think that a comprehensive strategy between government, mall owners, and hotel developers would be more beneficial. All the parties need each other, yet none seem to really be working together.

Throw in the Shriners occupying prime real estate and Poca Valley Bank holding another valuable property hostage, and you have a very unsystematic approach at urban renewal.

The University of Tennessee's School of Architecture did a study on the CTC and surrounding blocks a few years back. They were thinking more big picture then I believe Charleston's leaders are capable of.

https://archdesign.utk.edu/students-...rginia-center/

Some of the renderings they came up with...

Old 04-10-2024, 09:55 AM

Here's my ideas fleshed out. Tear down the Clendenin St. side of the CTC and create an open air plaza. Build the new municipal at the Beni Kedem site. Add mixed use development all over, with new parking garages. Even build a new Health Dept. building with a Public Safety office, which the city has been teasing.

https://www.google.com/maps/d/edit?m...695400466&z=17

Old 04-12-2024, 10:09 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Chriscross309 View Post
Here's my ideas fleshed out. Tear down the Clendenin St. side of the CTC and create an open air plaza. Build the new municipal at the Beni Kedem site. Add mixed use development all over, with new parking garages. Even build a new Health Dept. building with a Public Safety office, which the city has been teasing.

https://www.google.com/maps/d/edit?m...695400466&z=17
Updated link

https://www.google.com/maps/d/edit?m...pw&usp=sharing
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > West Virginia > Charleston