Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > West Virginia > Charleston
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 06-18-2016, 11:20 PM

778 posts, read 794,879 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Chriscross309 View Post
Interesting enough Interstate Reality now owns thw Shops at Kanawha. That might be great for that plaza because they could potentially bring in some businesses the previous owner couldnt.
I tried to just embed the Tenant Development sheet but the site said no, no, no. Here are the list of tenants Interstate Reality has worked with. If you work through the links at the top, you can also see what other properties they have and are developing as those they have redeveloped.

Not too many exciting tenants there that we don't already have in the valley - Cheddars and Publix would be the only ones they have listed that would make me drive to Kanawha Shops. I doubt Publix would move in next to Kroger but it sure would shake up the status quo in the valley of Kroger had some real competition.

Publix has stayed out of West Virginia because it was not Right to Work and now that it is, perhaps they will move in. I hope so!

Tenants Developed | Interstate Realty
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 06-21-2016, 11:07 AM

6,071 posts, read 9,095,810 times
I couldn't imagine Publix coming anytime soon, as they aren't this far north. I could easily see Giant Eagle sprouting south though, as they are both north and west of us.

I work in Kanawha City, so I frequent the Shops at Kanawha. What needs to happen is a reconstruction of the current traffic pattern. I'd love to see the main plaza entrance lead all the way to the corner where GNC is. Having another section of stores/restaurants along it. Nothing too extreme, as space is limited, but something similar to Suncrest Town center in Morgantown. There is currently two out parcel lots sitting empty now, with several more potential on the outskirts of the parking lot. Something adjacent to Applebees would probably go over well.

Old 06-22-2016, 04:38 PM

1,889 posts, read 2,148,712 times
In a perfect world I would prefer Publix over Giant Eagle but would welcome either one for the competition.

Old 06-27-2016, 06:07 AM

1,889 posts, read 2,148,712 times
Charleston Gazette-Mail | Renovations underway at Charleston hotels

Charleston hotel renovations.

Old 06-27-2016, 07:07 AM

Here is to hoping they do some serious work to the exterior. I'm not a huge fan of Motel 6, but maybe they will promote their extended stay brand more so than "motel 6". I'm happy though that the property is atleast receiving attention and that it isn't going to be an empty eyesore right off a major entrance point into town.

Old 06-27-2016, 11:27 AM

778 posts, read 794,879 times
Quote:
Here is to hoping they do some serious work to the exterior. I'm not a huge fan of Motel 6, but maybe they will promote their extended stay brand more so than "motel 6". I'm happy though that the property is atleast receiving attention and that it isn't going to be an empty eyesore right off a major entrance point into town.
Having been involved in this very sort of thing in my professional life in the late 1980's I can tell you that I have very little confidence in either part of this plan working. Basically both hotels are in receivership, where the financial backers own the property and they "rent" a brand name - in this case two - to act as a cover while they reorganize and remodel the properties. Even with the perfect management team these 'turnovers' have a very low success rate.

The problem are three-fold:

1 - General location
2 - Two competing properties side-by-side
3 - The total number of rooms available between the two

A fourth possible concern is the hotel in the pre-planning stages at the Civic Center, which would kill any draw for the affluent sector.

These properties are going to be unable to compete directly with the affluent and convention markets because of location. Likewise, the business class is going to want to be located closer to the points of business the Courtyard by Marriot downtown as well as two similar properties at Northgate and Southridge fill these needs nicely.

This leaves two groups, families and the economy class. Families might be a possibility by seeing on a website that the property is near-too the Clay Center or Power Park, but once they arrive there they will find the hotel is in a very UNFAMILY area of the city. Families that come here and make the mistake will YELP about it and not return. That kills the critical repeat and personal testament business and both are vital to a recovering property.

This leaves the economy class as the only group that will stay here. But, here again there is competition. The Hampton Inn on the Elf River is in walking distance to the Civic Center and of course the Holiday Inn Express is even better located to the principle draws. For those that wish to stay and drive during their visit there are two nice hotels in South Charleston and several more in Kanawha City.

These two properties fill no niche in the Charleston market in spite of the local market being in need of stock. In real estate you never get away from LOCATION, LOCATION, LOCATION and these properties are almost as poorly located as they can be.

I predict total failure within 6 months after the first annual review of P&L. At that point, the owners will have tossed several million dollars at a project that plunged them into the red, they will be tied up in multi-year contracts that will bleed off still more money and they will be asked some sharp questions by the people that "rented" these properties their brand name to operate under.

Once this takes place, the property could possible be sold again but that is not likely since the proof is plain to see the current set up is not going to work. The property might be sold to non-industry client - i.e., someone that would develop the property for other means such as condos, office spaces or something else. Or the worst outcome, the property are sold to property developers who will tear it down and put in a parking lot.

I would submit that the company trying this plan is either not fully educated on what they have or if they have done their homework, they are not understanding of the depth of the hole they are trying to fill. I do not believe they know what they are doing and the city over all will suffer for this endeavor wil this crap shoot set up.

Old 07-12-2016, 05:20 AM

Charleston Gazette-Mail | Developer signs lease for freestanding Starbucks on boulevard

I could see this being a hit, and very very busy between 7-9 am!

Old 07-12-2016, 06:39 AM

1,642 posts, read 2,420,369 times
Quote:
Charleston Gazette-Mail | Developer signs lease for freestanding Starbucks on boulevard

I could see this being a hit, and very very busy between 7-9 am!
Well that was unexpected. I'm cool with this, especially in conjunction with the second half of the article.

Old 07-12-2016, 08:21 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by elewis7 View Post
Well that was unexpected. I'm cool with this, especially in conjunction with the second half of the article.
Also hope the city/county hasn't forgotten their dream of building a rail trail to Coonskin Park. The city really needs to get the ball rolling on the trail network which was planned out a while back.

I think that this Starbucks will fit really well there, and might lead to the opening of more locations in the area. I wonder if they are considering a location at the new shopping center along Corridor G.

In other news: The Foodland stores in Kanawha City, Sissonville and Elenor are switching brands to Piggly Wiggly. Don't know how I feel about this, but Piggly Wiggly is obviously a larger brand name and would draw in a "cult following". Hopefully they will remodel the Kanawha City store, as it could use a face-lift in the worst way. Charleston Gazette-Mail | Three area Foodland stores switching to Piggly Wiggly

Old 07-12-2016, 03:59 PM

21,020 posts, read 27,232,811 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Caden Grace View Post
Not too many exciting tenants there that we don't already have in the valley - Cheddars and Publix would be the only ones they have listed that would make me drive to Kanawha Shops. I doubt Publix would move in next to Kroger but it sure would shake up the status quo in the valley of Kroger had some real competition.

Publix has stayed out of West Virginia because it was not Right to Work and now that it is, perhaps they will move in. I hope so!
Quote:
I couldn't imagine Publix coming anytime soon, as they aren't this far north. I could easily see Giant Eagle sprouting south though, as they are both north and west of us.
Publix will be entering Virginia in late 2017 and early 2018 with two stores. I do not know how quickly it will secure sites for additional stores before its initial stores open. It may be several years away, but Publix in West Virginia is possible after Publix has opened a quantity of quality stores in Virginia.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > West Virginia > Charleston