Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > West Virginia > Charleston
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 08-02-2016, 08:23 AM

1,889 posts, read 2,148,712 times

Advertisements

Chriscross, I agree with your past few posts. Every city needs areas like Bridge Road.

In terms of Pizza places, I've always wondered if a Papa Murphy's would do well in this area.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 08-03-2016, 04:51 AM

16,665 posts, read 15,660,325 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Chriscross309 View Post
There truly is a lack of coffee shops in the area anyways. I wouldn't want to see a chain coffee shop, but something completely original. They should keep the vault of the bank and feature it. Possibly even having a bank themed decor and name. "Trust & Loan Coffee Company"

Edit: I have actually been to a coffee shop located inside an old bank in Rutland, VT. So I guess the idea isn't too original lol
There used to be a coffee shop in the old bank building at the corner of D Street & 7th Avenue in South Charleston. AFAIK, the vault is still there. I think it's a consignment shop now. (I haven't been by there for quite a while.)

Old 08-03-2016, 04:55 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Carolina Knight View Post
I think the pizza delivery/carryout bubble is about to burst, and one popular pizza restaurant may disappear. Pizza delivery/carryout is dominated by Domino's, Little Caesar's, and Papa John's. Pizza Hut has struggled with delivery/carryout only locations, and has ignored its in-demand dine-in locations.
I think Pizza Hut is giving up on their dine-in places. They tore down the one in Spring Hill and built one of their little carryout places. They built another one on Patrick Street.

Old 08-03-2016, 07:10 AM

6,071 posts, read 9,095,810 times
I believe we could support a "Mellow Mushroom" which is a southern based pizza restaurant.

My first job was at Pizza Hut, and I can agree to the fact that they are dying. Places like Domino's and Papa John's offer a much better quality for less. I often order pizza from Papa John's in Kanawha City and the Domino's on the East End and both are always well made and tasty for the price. Of course, nothing will beat Pie's and Pints which I frequent often.

Old 08-03-2016, 07:45 AM

1,854 posts, read 2,227,013 times
Quote:
I believe we could support a "Mellow Mushroom" which is a southern based pizza restaurant.

My first job was at Pizza Hut, and I can agree to the fact that they are dying. Places like Domino's and Papa John's offer a much better quality for less. I often order pizza from Papa John's in Kanawha City and the Domino's on the East End and both are always well made and tasty for the price. Of course, nothing will beat Pie's and Pints which I frequent often.
Pizza hut could be finished of to a certain degree if dominos and papa johns offered stuffed crust.

Old 08-06-2016, 04:26 AM

21,020 posts, read 27,232,811 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by mensaguy View Post
I think Pizza Hut is giving up on their dine-in places. They tore down the one in Spring Hill and built one of their little carryout places. They built another one on Patrick Street.
If Pizza Hut wants to give up on its core business, it will not be in business much longer. Its delivery/carryout only locations, Pizza Hut in name only, are usually low volume locations. That is the wrong way to go against Domino's, Little Caesar's, and Papa John's. Pizza Hut would be better off staying out of delivery/carryout.

Old 08-06-2016, 12:40 PM

778 posts, read 794,879 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Carolina Knight View Post
If Pizza Hut wants to give up on its core business, it will not be in business much longer. Its delivery/carryout only locations, Pizza Hut in name only, are usually low volume locations. That is the wrong way to go against Domino's, Little Caesar's, and Papa John's. Pizza Hut would be better off staying out of delivery/carryout.

I don't really have any contacts in this business in West Virginia but I do know the La Rosa family in Cincinnati, Ohio. They own a chain of pizza dine in/carry out that dominates the Cincinnati metro. All of the other chains combined do not even put a dent in their operations.

The chains you mentioned: Dominos, Little Caesar's and Papa John are all carry out/delivery only and Pizza Hut only competes against them in large urban areas like Charleston and the Kanawha Valley. They are focused on operating their dine in / carry out (no delivery) from their locations in the smaller towns and villages scattered around the state like Logan, Montgomery, Hurricane, etc.

I actually think that 2-pronged approach is the right one for the social dynamics of the typical pizza customer. If I want to go out and eat Italian I am not really planning on sitting in a Pizza Hut as I have better choices for dining in. If I want a pizza, I usually want it as an impulse and more often than not, on my way between A and B, so I stop and grab one. If I want one delivered, I have all of the above options but that choice is limited to one or two in my vicinity. With Pizza Hut setting up these small locations they can flood the urban area and be close to everyone.

If I live out in a place like Montgomery, my options for dining out are pretty limited unless I want to drive 30-60 minutes. I can stop in Pizza Hut and not do to bad and even have the ability to make an order to go if I want. Few of these business actually deliver in these small town where they have dine in.

I personally think it is very logical to set it up this way, but I admit it would not work in a city the size of Cincinnati. It is an arrangement that does work in West Virginia though.

Old 08-06-2016, 01:50 PM

10,147 posts, read 15,039,100 times
I used to be in the pizza business. It is expensive to operate a sit down type facility. Some places have more competition in this sort of operation, and because of increased competition in some markets the rate of return is small for dine in facilities. There is lower overhead involved with delivery/carry out operations, which is why in markets with lots of competition they are shuttering the restaurants and going to delivery/carry out only.

That is what is happening here in Morgantown. This is a college town. We have 200 pizza operators here, and a growing number of them are offering eat in options. Pizza Hut is reducing overhead to compete because it is more difficult to do so in the former configuration. In places where they aren't facing much competition, they might choose to leave the restaurant configuration in place.

Old 08-09-2016, 11:53 AM

6,071 posts, read 9,095,810 times
I have noticed over the last week that crews have been tearing down an old industrial building (which I believed was owned by General Electric at one point) off of MacCorkle Ave at Thayer St. To my knowledge, nothing has come out on what is happening there, but I measured the lot using Google Maps, and it would appear to be just under 66,000 sq ft. That is a large enough space for a Sheetz, and it's not a bad spot for a gas station. I am predicting that a Sheetz will go on that lot eventually, unless someone hears otherwise.

Old 08-10-2016, 05:03 AM

Quote:
I have noticed over the last week that crews have been tearing down an old industrial building (which I believed was owned by General Electric at one point) off of MacCorkle Ave at Thayer St. To my knowledge, nothing has come out on what is happening there, but I measured the lot using Google Maps, and it would appear to be just under 66,000 sq ft. That is a large enough space for a Sheetz, and it's not a bad spot for a gas station. I am predicting that a Sheetz will go on that lot eventually, unless someone hears otherwise.
That was GE's Apparatus Service Shop. They used to overhaul industrial motors and machines for the big industrial plants in the area. With the plants closed or shrunk to a fraction of their old size, I guess the business finally went away.

That would be a GREAT location for a Sheetz (IMO). There could be quite a market for a gas station on a major route between downtown and residential areas. I know a lot of people that drive past that location twice every day.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > West Virginia > Charleston