Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > West Virginia > Charleston
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 05-24-2016, 09:10 AM

1,642 posts, read 2,420,369 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Chriscross309 View Post
Work is heavily progressing on "supposed" Sheetz in Cross Lanes. They have actually completed a lot in a short amount of time. At the rate they are going, I'd expect a late fall opening similar to the Spring Hill Sheetz.

Also Bojangles in Southridge has walls up.
In addition, no work has started on the Cross Lanes Bojangles. They're probably just going to wait until the one in Southridge is done and use the same crew to build the one here.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 05-24-2016, 09:21 AM

6,071 posts, read 9,095,810 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by elewis7 View Post
In addition, no work has started on the Cross Lanes Bojangles. They're probably just going to wait until the one in Southridge is done and use the same crew to build the one here.
I believe that I read that they will start work on the Kanawha City one first, as it has yet to begin as well.

Old 05-27-2016, 06:18 AM

First impressions: Letterpress printing company opens on West Side

Old 05-27-2016, 01:25 PM

778 posts, read 794,879 times
Considering the nature of the communities on the Eastend with the "hippie" feel that side of town seems to be cultivating, this sort of business would do better there I think. The Westside may some day be different than the exiting polyester ambiance, but that is probably a decade away and there is no reason to think it will become hippie-town 2.

Old 05-27-2016, 02:32 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Caden Grace View Post
Considering the nature of the communities on the Eastend with the "hippie" feel that side of town seems to be cultivating, this sort of business would do better there I think. The Westside may some day be different than the exiting polyester ambiance, but that is probably a decade away and there is no reason to think it will become hippie-town 2.
There's a groundswell of hipster culture (if you will) in Elk City. With the Bullocks trying to redevelop that area of town, the retail portion is coalescing rapidly. Already you have Mi Cocina de Amor, MESH Design and Development, Bully Trap Barber Shop, Kin Ship Goods, and Base Camp Printing, among other existing businesses. Within the next several months they'll be adding the Tamarack studio and gallery space, Secret Sandwich Society, and Elk City Records. Couple that momentum with the lower property and rental prices of the West Side, and you have the target area for redevelopment, particularly with the (albeit small) Millennials in the area. The East End is great, don't get me wrong. Some property owners there, however, have made things a little more difficult in terms of redevelopment.

Old 05-27-2016, 04:10 PM

Quote:
There's a groundswell of hipster culture (if you will) in Elk City. With the Bullocks trying to redevelop that area of town, the retail portion is coalescing rapidly. Already you have Mi Cocina de Amor, MESH Design and Development, Bully Trap Barber Shop, Kin Ship Goods, and Base Camp Printing, among other existing businesses. Within the next several months they'll be adding the Tamarack studio and gallery space, Secret Sandwich Society, and Elk City Records. Couple that momentum with the lower property and rental prices of the West Side, and you have the target area for redevelopment, particularly with the (albeit small) Millennials in the area. The East End is great, don't get me wrong. Some property owners there, however, have made things a little more difficult in terms of redevelopment.

Thank you for the refresh as I needed it, but most of these businesses are not going to make it. This young lady is going to be closing her doors in a year over there. The Westside is about convenience in being able to shop from your car. At worst, patrons wants to stop, walk no more than ten feet and conduct their business and be on their way. During the day the Westside isn't too bad unless you radiate stupidity and wear a target on your back, but when the sun begins to set, you need to beat feet for the safety of some where else. A business cannot thrive in such a Jeckle and Hyde environment.

Charleston isn't all that big and if we are going to go with a - in your terms - hipster area, better to consolidate and the East End long ago started that process. The establishment of the Clay Center on the East End settled that argument I think.

I think the Westside can be a few things but a hipster area is not one of them. Too bad too, this young lady seems inspired and dedicated. I hope the coming year does not rain on her parade.

Old 05-27-2016, 08:36 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Caden Grace View Post
Thank you for the refresh as I needed it, but most of these businesses are not going to make it. This young lady is going to be closing her doors in a year over there. The Westside is about convenience in being able to shop from your car. At worst, patrons wants to stop, walk no more than ten feet and conduct their business and be on their way. During the day the Westside isn't too bad unless you radiate stupidity and wear a target on your back, but when the sun begins to set, you need to beat feet for the safety of some where else. A business cannot thrive in such a Jeckle and Hyde environment.

Charleston isn't all that big and if we are going to go with a - in your terms - hipster area, better to consolidate and the East End long ago started that process. The establishment of the Clay Center on the East End settled that argument I think.

I think the Westside can be a few things but a hipster area is not one of them. Too bad too, this young lady seems inspired and dedicated. I hope the coming year does not rain on her parade.
I just think that the seeds of change have to start somewhere, and, despite the surrounding area's drawbacks, I can't label all that as a flash in the pan. I don't think we're going to end up agreeing on this one, and that's fine. Either way, we'll both be rooting for the success and growth anywhere in the city.

Old 05-27-2016, 08:57 PM

Quote:
I just think that the seeds of change have to start somewhere, and, despite the surrounding area's drawbacks, I can't label all that as a flash in the pan. I don't think we're going to end up agreeing on this one, and that's fine. Either way, we'll both be rooting for the success and growth anywhere in the city.

Ok, lets work for the intention of a meeting of the minds, which outlets do you see succeeding - say in the next 4 years. Tell me which of these make it to the summer of 2020. If you can project that much, can you give me your projections on will fill in for those that fall through the cracks?

I will gladly reply with my own and if Chris is reading this - and I am sure he is - perhaps he will toss in his prognostication as well.

Old 05-28-2016, 10:31 AM

I'm not going to predict who will survive and who won't. I think that's counterproductive to the work being done there, even if it's only a thought experiment. Some will inevitably close up shop; that's the world of the small business. But they're trying to change the culture of that neighborhood from an auto-centric, convenience atmosphere to a walkable, multi-faceted area. If they collectively fail in that, then yes, it will be harder for each individual entity to succeed. But I'm going to enjoy what's happening and support it while it lasts, which hopefully is a long time to come.

Old 05-30-2016, 06:12 AM

6,071 posts, read 9,095,810 times
I am hoping that all of the new businesses on the West side see success, but as CG mentioned small businesses are hint and miss no matter the location. I wish this young lady the best of luck.

As for the development of the West Side and the Elk City business district, I see potential. Unfortunately I also see several factors that will burden economic development. Crime is terrible over there, and it is tainting the name of the whole community. When the East End was "cleaned-up" a lot of the drug business was consolidated to the West Side which in result has made the West Side twice as bad. I honestly don't have a clue how to resolve it, but I can tell you that until it is resolved (likely never) then it will be difficult to see long term success on the West Side. Also there is an abundance of unusable structures. Sure the city can tear down old stuff, but its hard convincing businesses and developers to take a chance of a community that has a bad side.

The potential I see is is taking it back block by block. Starting with the main corridors (Washington, Lee, Virginia, Blvd) and working inward towards the hoods. They have already completed a very important step which was building new schools and focusing in on education. The rest is a nightmare to undertake, but I would never say it couldn't be done.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > West Virginia > Charleston