Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > West Virginia > Charleston
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 04-22-2016, 07:05 AM

6,074 posts, read 9,098,885 times

Advertisements

Yes thanks for posting this. I am excited, as the current owners clearly haven't done much to these hotels and have robed them of their potential. I would certainly love to see a better brand name on the "Capitol Hotel", as it would be more attractive of a destination. I hated that it left the Marriott brand in the first place.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 04-25-2016, 08:02 AM

Charleston Gazette-Mail | Southridge Bojangles’ to open this summer, group says
Projected openings for new Bojangles locations in Charleston.

Southridge one opening between July-August

Kanawha City opening by end of year.

No word on proposed Bojangles in Cross Lanes and Teays Valley.

Old 04-26-2016, 12:37 PM

941 posts, read 1,355,242 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Chriscross309 View Post
Charleston Gazette-Mail | Southridge Bojangles’ to open this summer, group says
Projected openings for new Bojangles locations in Charleston.

Southridge one opening between July-August

Kanawha City opening by end of year.

No word on proposed Bojangles in Cross Lanes and Teays Valley.
Be prepared for the traffic!!! haha

Old 04-26-2016, 12:46 PM

1,642 posts, read 2,420,628 times
I don't know when they're expected to start work on the Bojangles in Cross Lanes, but it's 100% happening. I just noticed the NPDES stormwater construction permit sign at the site, and it said "Bojangles Project." So that's that.

Old 04-26-2016, 02:19 PM

778 posts, read 795,332 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by PynballWyzyrd View Post
Be prepared for the traffic!!! haha

Maybe it is because I have lived in Austin, TX; Miami FL; Cincinnati, OH; San Francisco, CA; and Charlotte, NC but I have a really hard time getting excited over a chicken fast food outlet. Last summer everyone was aflutter over a damn new gas station in South Charleston (Sheetz). For those that have never lived any where else maybe this seems to be a big deal, but for those of us that have been abroad we don't get it. Nothing is more hillbilly stereotypical than to get excited over a new chicken stand and a new gas station. Come on people! Perspective.

Old 04-26-2016, 07:05 PM

941 posts, read 1,355,242 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Caden Grace View Post
Maybe it is because I have lived in Austin, TX; Miami FL; Cincinnati, OH; San Francisco, CA; and Charlotte, NC but I have a really hard time getting excited over a chicken fast food outlet. Last summer everyone was aflutter over a damn new gas station in South Charleston (Sheetz). For those that have never lived any where else maybe this seems to be a big deal, but for those of us that have been abroad we don't get it. Nothing is more hillbilly stereotypical than to get excited over a new chicken stand and a new gas station. Come on people! Perspective.
I don't agree with you on much, but yeah that's pretty much it. I live in Chicago (previous Rochester, NY and NYC), so I get it.

Old 04-26-2016, 07:27 PM

456 posts, read 602,505 times
I have lived in the country and in Dallas,Chicago,Denver,Columbus,and Pittsburgh and i disagree. Small towns anywhere get excited about anything new because what ever state your from small towns rarely get anything new so it is big news. I myself would get excited when i lived in the city and a new store or restaurant moved into to the area I lived because it meant I didn't have to commute to another part of town. some newer sections of cities take a couple years to catch up with convenience's . Driving long distance for your favorites is never fun.

Old 04-26-2016, 08:37 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by D T WV MOUNTAINS View Post
I have lived in the country and in Dallas,Chicago,Denver,Columbus,and Pittsburgh and i disagree. Small towns anywhere get excited about anything new because what ever state your from small towns rarely get anything new so it is big news. I myself would get excited when i lived in the city and a new store or restaurant moved into to the area I lived because it meant I didn't have to commute to another part of town. some newer sections of cities take a couple years to catch up with convenience's . Driving long distance for your favorites is never fun.
I get the small town thing, Charleston is not a small town; it is a small city and there is a world of difference between the two. A city has neighborhoods, a town has just the town, even if it spreads out around the fringes.

Charlestonians should be excited by a new hotel downtown, the renovation of the Civic Center, perhaps even a new airline providing service at Yeager. Sheetz? Bojangles?

What is happening here is not the fault of the OP on this news, they are being forced to post anything because by comparison there would be nothing to post at all. No one comes to West Virginia and those that are born here leave when they can. The various levels of government just can't seem to figure out what is obvious to all of us, taxes kill business and pro-union laws have held back the state since the 1950's - the last decade of real population growth.

Old 04-26-2016, 08:43 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by PynballWyzyrd View Post
I don't agree with you on much, but yeah that's pretty much it. I live in Chicago (previous Rochester, NY and NYC), so I get it.
I was not aware that we differed on so much because I like many of the things you post. I suppose our gulf is over Huntington. I am aware that I am somewhat unfair to the city as it does have its good points. For me, however, it is not enough to offset the negatives.

The crazy thing is, even without the benefit of being the seat of state government, Huntington has everything in its favor to be the population and business center of the state. It has seemingly always lacked good leadership. Since the time they move was made to run the interstate around the city and not through it to the decision to build the mall at Ona. Huntington has done just about everything wrong. I can deal with that, but when you press them on the issue, they are so defensive about these bad decisions that they try to pass off them off as, "Well, we meant to do that." It smacks of stupidity.

But, I don't hate Huntington. I do hate Beckley and to a lesser extent Lewisburg, but for very different reasons.

I often write in a style that seems adversarial when I am not being that way at all. Text is not forgiving of the writer that speaks direct or clearly. Maybe that is all it is.

Old 04-27-2016, 08:41 AM

I would agree with Caden Grace in that fast food restaurants and gas stations should not be areas of excitement for a city the size of Charleston. However, it isn't like the city is building high rise office buildings, developing new suburbs, or attracting distribution centers to the area. Unfortunately there isn't enough economic activity to get the blood pumping. I show more excitement over good job creation, renovated buildings, and major projects; but they are few and far between. I have lived in Tampa and in Upstate, NY and have witnessed mass development and whole towns being built from the ground up. But I am pleased when new business comes to my home town because it is better than being excited about coal jobs eliminated or corrupt Mingo County judges, etc...
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > West Virginia > Charleston