Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > West Virginia > Charleston
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 09-01-2022, 04:29 PM

16,665 posts, read 15,660,325 times

Advertisements

Short Story Brewing in Rivesville, WV, is opening a tap room on Summers Street just a few doors down the street from Fife Street Brewing, and less than a block from Black Sheep/Bad Shepherd.

All of their beer will come from their own brewery and they will have a kitchen, offering light food at first and more complex offerings later. They will also have a cold box merchandising unit filled with Short Story beers, so you can take home a four pack.

This is almost as good as getting another brewery in town. I've met the owners and served their beer at a Foam At The Dome festival a few years ago.

Drink local.

Old 09-02-2022, 05:27 AM

6,071 posts, read 9,095,810 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by mensaguy View Post
Short Story Brewing in Rivesville, WV, is opening a tap room on Summers Street just a few doors down the street from Fife Street Brewing, and less than a block from Black Sheep/Bad Shepherd.

All of their beer will come from their own brewery and they will have a kitchen, offering light food at first and more complex offerings later. They will also have a cold box merchandising unit filled with Short Story beers, so you can take home a four pack.

This is almost as good as getting another brewery in town. I've met the owners and served their beer at a Foam At The Dome festival a few years ago.

Drink local.
wow! Things are actually looking pretty good in downtown right now. Imagine if the city could continue to lure people to live downtown, then I could see even more happening.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 09-02-2022, 09:29 AM

1,383 posts, read 2,509,689 times
Quote:

Drink local.
Awesome! Would love to see the area near Brawley Walkway and Slack become a brewery/distillery district. Could come up with a nickname - “brewers alley” or something.

I was in Charleston a few weeks ago and finally made it to Fife Street for the first time. I loved it and was happy to see how much that area has cleaned up since the Slack Street renovations. I also loved how it was midday Tuesday, but there was a live DJ and food trucks in the plaza. What a fun weekday vibe! I hope they keep scheduling events and live music there throughout the year.

Old 09-02-2022, 09:53 AM

I don't like beer personally, but I have always been a fan of Charleston getting more breweries. It helps draws people in.

Old 09-14-2022, 01:17 PM

3 things

1: Has anyone noticed any progress on the Dunkin on Oakwood Rd? Last time I was in town, they were doing site work and there was a banner indicating that Dunkin was coming.

2: I didn't realize that the Ashton Place Kroger has a Starbucks now. Can someone confirm this?

3: Have they started tearing down the Sears building yet? I haven't heard anything lately.

Old 09-15-2022, 06:09 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Chriscross309 View Post
3 things

1: Has anyone noticed any progress on the Dunkin on Oakwood Rd? Last time I was in town, they were doing site work and there was a banner indicating that Dunkin was coming.

2: I didn't realize that the Ashton Place Kroger has a Starbucks now. Can someone confirm this?

3: Have they started tearing down the Sears building yet? I haven't heard anything lately.
I'm no help.

I don't go up Oakwood Road very often and didn't even know they were building a Dunkin'.

There is a Starbucks shown on Google Maps at Gucci Kroger, but I don't go there either. I shop at Riverwalk.

I drove up Virginia Street Saturday. I could not see any demolition work. However, they could be working to break the connections to the mall and the parking garage first. I haven't been in the mall or the parking garage for a few months.

Old 09-15-2022, 06:46 AM

Quote:
I'm no help.

I don't go up Oakwood Road very often and didn't even know they were building a Dunkin'.

There is a Starbucks shown on Google Maps at Gucci Kroger, but I don't go there either. I shop at Riverwalk.

I drove up Virginia Street Saturday. I could not see any demolition work. However, they could be working to break the connections to the mall and the parking garage first. I haven't been in the mall or the parking garage for a few months.
Yeah, I noticed that they had gotten a Starbucks on Google Maps also. Makes sense, considering it is the "Gucci Kroger" as you mentioned. It's the first Kroger in Charleston to get one, but there's plenty of other Kroger in WV that have one. Teays Valley, Suncrest, Clarksburg, Wheeling, Weirton, and Barboursville. Plus pretty much every newer Kroger in other states.

I first noticed the Dunkin banner on Oakwood last Fall. It is where the old 7/11 was, across from CVS and One Stop. I have seen nothing on the news about it. Unless my eyes were deceiving me, there was a banner that read "Dunkin" hanging on a construction fence. It looked like they were filling in the back half of the property with dirt to make the space viable for a drive thru.

Old 09-15-2022, 07:21 AM

1,084 posts, read 1,881,181 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Chriscross309 View Post
3 things

I am by Oakwood frequently going to JA and GW to watch volleyball this month. The building is progressing. The walls are up with the wrap on them.

Someone is also clearing out the opposite side corner as you turn on to Oakwood on the right. There was a sign about a public hearing to request a variance. I am guessing they want to change from single-family to multi-family and/or business parcels so it can be developed.

Old 09-15-2022, 07:27 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by bballjunkie View Post
I am by Oakwood frequently going to JA and GW to watch volleyball this month. The building is progressing. The walls are up with the wrap on them.

Someone is also clearing out the opposite side corner as you turn on to Oakwood on the right. There was a sign about a public hearing to request a variance. I am guessing they want to change from single-family to multi-family and/or business parcels so it can be developed.
Thanks! Glad to hear that it is coming along.

Also, I know that there has been a lot of talk about the lot you are mentioning over the years. When Danny Jones was still mayor, I heard that Marco's Pizza was interested in the site. I doubt that is still the case, but a possibility. It's a really tricky location for any sort of business because of the traffic right there. Maybe they feel more comfortable developing it now with the reconfigured intersection.

Old 09-15-2022, 10:21 AM

I drove Clendenin Street today. No visible demolition work on the Sears building on that side either.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > West Virginia > Charleston