Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > West Virginia > Charleston
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 11-21-2014, 09:44 AM

6,071 posts, read 9,095,810 times

Advertisements

Update Aldi Teays Valley

The Charleston Gazette | Putnam’s first Aldi opens Dec. 4
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 12-15-2014, 11:31 AM

I'm back in town for the Holidays and noticed some things happening around town.

In Kanawha City, they are building a new small shopping center (Name: MacCorkle Avenue Plaza)beside Highland Hospital. It looks like it will have 4-5 tenants and could be the location of the rumored Five Guys. No news on it, other than it is coming along and will be a nice addition to that part of MacCorkle Ave.

Also noticed a new building being constructed beside Lowe's in Kanawha city. It was too small to be anything significant, but will no doubt be some kind of retail due to its location. I honestly have no clue, but it could be a restaurant. I know a few years back they were interested in putting a Starbucks there, so this might be it.

Also in Kanawha City, Penn Station is building a new building that will also have space for an additional tenant. It was very far along and I was very impressed with the design choice.

The Marriott Courtyard downtown looked finished, but obviously isn't opened yet.

I have adventured too much into the area since I've been back, but if I see something else I will post it.

Old 12-17-2014, 04:06 PM

82 posts, read 120,191 times
My wife and I tried Celsius last week (the former Vandalia Grille building). The food was very good, and the wine and cocktail lists were pretty decent. It's owned by the same folks as Laury's, but a very different atmosphere -- very modern lounge-like restaurant (if that makes any sense). We'll be back there, frequently.

At long last, there's also been a lot of activity this week at the former Cafe Paris on the corner of Capitol and Quarrier. There's an article about it in the Gazette today, but so far, it's pretty tight-lipped on what might be going in there.

Old 12-18-2014, 07:21 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Carnilmo View Post
My wife and I tried Celsius last week (the former Vandalia Grille building). The food was very good, and the wine and cocktail lists were pretty decent. It's owned by the same folks as Laury's, but a very different atmosphere -- very modern lounge-like restaurant (if that makes any sense). We'll be back there, frequently.

At long last, there's also been a lot of activity this week at the former Cafe Paris on the corner of Capitol and Quarrier. There's an article about it in the Gazette today, but so far, it's pretty tight-lipped on what might be going in there.
You beat me to it.

Here is the article//

The Charleston Gazette | Business wants to move into Cafe de Paris space

The Charleston Area Alliance will not disclose what is locating there, but something tells me that their hush hush mentality means that it is going to be something great for that corner. I could see anything ranging from a coffee shop/restaurant/or a high end clothing store.

Old 12-23-2014, 12:22 PM

4 posts, read 9,986 times
Oct 29, 2014 Kanawha County Health Dept inspection of a popular South Charleston restaurant:

4-601.11(A)
Corrected During Inspection Critical Toilet plunger stored in contact with food serving utensils. corrected
Maintain food contact surfaces clean

The place was not closed upon this finding. You might have, or be, eating there! I'm not.

I offer a solution (I don't just complain): I think the Community and Technical College System of West Virginia should take up the challenge of training restaurant staff. It's a wide reaching educational goal that will benefit many, now, and into the future. It's minimal cost, simple certifications and promotes the state, tourism and education at a higher level.

Toilet plunger fork on your table?

Old 12-29-2014, 06:18 PM

Charleston Daily Mail | Kanawha City developments nearing completion

Hopefully some new business can find a home in the city. The one (5 unit) commercial property is right near the Kanawha Mall.

Old 01-05-2015, 06:56 PM

Some updates that I have observed.

Five Guys in Teays Valley is coming along, and the building they are building is very attractive.

Planet Fitness has opened in the former Direct Buy location is Cross Lanes, this is the first in the area.

Auto Zone is building a new store beside Chick-fil-a at Southridge Center. Honestly I hate that this lot is being wasted on yet another Auto Zone. This should have been another restaurant or a Dunkin, but not the 100th auto parts retailer.

Speaking of Dunkin, I finally checked out the Dunkin in Hurricane. Wasn't the best Dunkin Coffee I've had, but is certainly better than not having it close by. Where I live in NY now I drink a lot of Dunkin Coffee, so I am glad they they are expanding their presence in the state.

Old 01-06-2015, 11:09 AM

82 posts, read 120,191 times
I was in the mall this weekend, and Steak Escape had a banner hanging saying that they would be relocating from the food court to Capitol Street in Spring 2015. I do enjoy having food options nearby (I work downtown), but I'm going to hope that Steak Escape is unrelated to the Cafe Paris building. That would be a bit anticlimactic, I think.

Old 01-06-2015, 11:51 AM

1,642 posts, read 2,420,369 times
I found a general listing for a Steak Escape at 26 Capitol St., where Sky Lounge was. Certainly better than a trashy club.

Old 01-06-2015, 12:18 PM

1,642 posts, read 2,420,369 times
Re: the Cafe de Paris space

A couple of tweets from Caitlin Cook (Gazette):

Caitlin Cook @caitlincookWV · 2h 2 hours ago
We're still waiting to learn more about who/what is moving into the Cafe de Paris space in downtown Charleston after recent activity inside.

Matt Ballard, of @CAAlliance, has been working with biz that plans to move in. Today, Ballard confirmed it's a restaurant that's not a chain

Ballard added the business planning to move into the Cafe de Paris space is West Virginia based.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > West Virginia > Charleston