Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > West Virginia > Charleston
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 02-20-2014, 06:59 AM

1,889 posts, read 2,148,712 times
I also wonder when the lease with the shopping center and Applebee's expires? If the shopping center has an option to end the lease sometime in the near future, that could help them and hurt Applebee's argument.

To be honest, I'm amazed that Applebee's has lasted this long, sub standard food and service for a number of years. I guess some people like lower quality.

Also, it would be nice to see the Liberty Square Shopping Center invest in some renovations and updates to their property to make it look nicer and to attract more businesses. It would be nice to see something better than the Elder Beerman store and Magic Mart anchor the location. Both are not very appealing.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 02-20-2014, 07:57 AM

6,071 posts, read 9,095,810 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by aeros71 View Post
I also wonder when the lease with the shopping center and Applebee's expires? If the shopping center has an option to end the lease sometime in the near future, that could help them and hurt Applebee's argument.

To be honest, I'm amazed that Applebee's has lasted this long, sub standard food and service for a number of years. I guess some people like lower quality.

Also, it would be nice to see the Liberty Square Shopping Center invest in some renovations and updates to their property to make it look nicer and to attract more businesses. It would be nice to see something better than the Elder Beerman store and Magic Mart anchor the location. Both are not very appealing.
Agree the center does need a face-lift and a few new brands. Magic Mart is probably the most useless store in the area. I hope that Target will open up beside Home Depot when the new access road is completed to 35.

Old 02-20-2014, 08:22 AM

16,665 posts, read 15,660,325 times
Liberty Square could also lose out to Putnam Village or the adjacent areas where Big Sandy and Home Depot are located as a site for Panera Bread. If Panera wants to be in that area, they'll figure out how to do it.

Old 02-20-2014, 09:27 AM

1,642 posts, read 2,420,369 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by mensaguy View Post
Liberty Square could also lose out to Putnam Village or the adjacent areas where Big Sandy and Home Depot are located as a site for Panera Bread. If Panera wants to be in that area, they'll figure out how to do it.
True. But if you drive past the area beyond Home Depot, you'll notice they're starting to build a connector road from near 35 to the end of the frontage road to HD. However, there are a few spots of erosion with one part of an entire hillside unstable and slipping. That's going to take time and $$, but I still don't think it will deter other rumored developments like Target or Outback. It'll just delay them.

But going back to Panera. My future in-laws always complain that there are virtually no places to eat in Teays Valley apart from the usual 3 or 4 places. A Panera there would be a cash cow for sure, so I'm positive the company will find a way to make it work.

Old 02-20-2014, 10:27 AM

1,946 posts, read 4,071,336 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by elewis7 View Post
True. But if you drive past the area beyond Home Depot, you'll notice they're starting to build a connector road from near 35 to the end of the frontage road to HD. However, there are a few spots of erosion with one part of an entire hillside unstable and slipping. That's going to take time and $$, but I still don't think it will deter other rumored developments like Target or Outback. It'll just delay them.

But going back to Panera. My future in-laws always complain that there are virtually no places to eat in Teays Valley apart from the usual 3 or 4 places. A Panera there would be a cash cow for sure, so I'm positive the company will find a way to make it work.
The few local dining establishments in the valley do well, especially on weekends. You can bet on a wait list at Fireside Grille, Taste of Asia, Fat Patty's. Barnyard BBQ is unique but is much more casual. Applebees and Bob Evans serve their purpose, but are tired and played out.

Teays Valley is in position to see continued growth. Ideally, locally owned restaurants will move in as commercial development, and people move to the corridor between Scott Depot and Hurricane. Chains can be nice, but they seem to have a time stamp on them that causes them to lose interest of the public quicker than a family owned establishment.

Old 02-20-2014, 10:49 AM

1,889 posts, read 2,148,712 times
I'm sure Teays Valley is to close too the other Dick's Sporting Goods and Gander Mountain Store locations in Charleston and Huntington to justify another store. However, it would be cool to land a REI store in the location where either Elder Beerman or Magic Mart currently sits. However, I'm sure we don't have the population in the area for a REI store but it would be nice.

Also, both the Liberty Square and Putnam Square properties are good places for outlets, especially once the new connector road is finished to help attract other major retailers like Target. A outlet mall across both of those properties would be a nice addition to the area.

Old 02-20-2014, 09:18 PM

27 posts, read 36,529 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by aeros71 View Post
Lawsuit claims Applebee's trying to block new Putnam Panera* - Business - Charleston Daily Mail - West Virginia News and Sports -

Above is the link to a story in the Charleston Daily Mail about a current issue the owners of the Liberty Square shopping center in Teays Valley are having with the Applebees restaurant located on their property. It is being stated that the Applebee's management company is blocking the shopping center owners from bringing a Panera Bread location to the center. When the Applebee's location was originally built, there was a restrictive covenant agreed upon that restricts the type of restaurants that can establish a location at the shopping center. Obviously that explains why we have never seen other restaurant developments at the shopping center over the years and what a horrible business decision by the shopping center owners to agree to that type of restrictions.
WV... jesus. You know what amazes me more? When I find people under the age of 40 who willfully choose to stay in such a place. I lived there, I loved it. I moved on, and I found that I had previously been in a timewarp. I go back for a few weeks every year and feel like I'm a cat clawing their way out of a paper bag every time I'm leaving. It just gets more brutal and backwards every time I go.

The most exciting, newsworthy thing that doesn't involve poisoning everyone's water happens to be the exquisite culinary experience of Applebees trying to prevent another crappy fast food place from opening.

You know what.. I went to that Applebees a few years ago, and I swear to god, they had Natty Light on draft....

Old 02-22-2014, 07:03 AM

thanks for your educated response!

Old 03-01-2014, 06:15 AM

6 posts, read 10,763 times
Has anybody been to or heard anything about the new restaurant called "Boomer's" just down past CAMC?

Old 03-01-2014, 07:44 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ganthid View Post
Has anybody been to or heard anything about the new restaurant called "Boomer's" just down past CAMC?
I haven't. Which hospital specifically, General, Memorial, or Women's and Children's? If its Memorial, then are you talking about where Murade's used to be?
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > West Virginia > Charleston