Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > West Virginia > Charleston
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 05-10-2013, 08:56 PM

10,211 posts, read 15,914,912 times

Advertisements

Sheetz would be great too. I didn't think of it since its not something I'm used to anywhere, but there do seems to be a lot more in other parts of West Virginia I'm been to ones in Romney in Hampshire County and I always stop at the Sheetz in Weston/Buckhannon when I make the drive to Charleston from Baltimore. I have the Sheetz discount card I initially got as a souvenir in Western Maryland. Too bad you have to go inside to use the Sheetz card and can't just insert it at the pump. Sheetz does have a lot of good food. It could do well even without a gas station. I do wonder about their gas since its an off brand gasoline, just like GoMart.

Recently on one of my trips the TV news was talking about a new Target opening up too. Maybe they can open one in the area round the town center mall since there is no Walmart in that area, or Walmart can open one more location there.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 05-11-2013, 06:14 AM

354 posts, read 505,606 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Tom Lennox 70 View Post
Maybe they can open one in the area round the town center mall since there is no Walmart in that area, or Walmart can open one more location there.
That is a terrible idea

Old 05-11-2013, 01:46 PM

6,071 posts, read 9,095,810 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Tom Lennox 70 View Post
Recently on one of my trips the TV news was talking about a new Target opening up too. Maybe they can open one in the area round the town center mall since there is no Walmart in that area, or Walmart can open one more location there.
You heard a rumor of a new target in Charleston? That's odd. I don't think a Walmart or Target would be a good idea in downtown, but there is a need for a grocery store on the East End which is right beside downtown.

Old 05-12-2013, 11:08 PM

The new Target is not actually in downtown but is south of the river, it was mentioned on the news during my first trip to Charleston.

Okay maybe not at the Town Center Mall, but I think there CAN be an additional Walmart Supercenter in the city north of the river, or closer toward Sissonville or Elkview even. The Sissonville area does have the population to support a Walmart, there are smaller towns that have one. It is about 20 minute drive from Sissonville to the Walmart in Cross Lanes which isn't THAT bad but would be nice ot have one closer.

After going to Lonestar Steakhouse again, maybe a Texas Roadhouse isn't truly necessary after all. Lonestar is very decent indeed, and there is Outback too at the mall. I do like the décor and theme and the steaks better at Texas Roadhouse and Lonestar, though I like OUtback's appetizers more especially the cheese fries and Bloomin Onion.

Old 05-13-2013, 06:41 AM

16,665 posts, read 15,660,325 times
Where are these rumors about Target and WalMart? I see the local news from Charleston every day and I've not heard a word. I can't imagine where you would build a Target on the south side of the river that wouldn't be redundant with the one at Trace Forks. Although WalMart is very large and has many customers, not everybody shops there. Incidentally, I do wish somebody would build a grocery store in the East End. I think it would be good for the community.

Old 05-13-2013, 08:23 AM

The Target at Trace Fork was recently remodeled (February) so that is probably what you heard from the news. There does need to be another Walmart in the area, preferably around Elkview. We have 3 now for 200,000 people when we could easily have a 4th. But the big issue with downtown/east end is a grocery store. If Kroger wanted to build a urban style store somewhere along Washington street or near the ball park, then that would be a great addition. I'm not opposed to a new brand coming into town either.

Old 05-13-2013, 10:27 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Chriscross309 View Post
The Target at Trace Fork was recently remodeled (February) so that is probably what you heard from the news. There does need to be another Walmart in the area, preferably around Elkview. We have 3 now for 200,000 people when we could easily have a 4th. But the big issue with downtown/east end is a grocery store. If Kroger wanted to build a urban style store somewhere along Washington street or near the ball park, then that would be a great addition. I'm not opposed to a new brand coming into town either.
I"m talkin about the Walmart Supercenters so they would include the supermarket inside. Where I live now some local grocery stores (including Save a Lot which is also in Sissonville) actually have a smaller selection than the supercenters. So yes the Elkview/Sissonville area can definitely use a new Wally world.

Old 05-13-2013, 11:20 AM

1,889 posts, read 2,148,712 times
About Target, word has it Target is going to build a new store in Teays Valley, adjacent to Liberty Square Shopping Center, next to The Home Depot. There is already been some earth moving completed in what looks like an attempt to connect the road that goes through the Liberty Square shopping center (that is currently the only way to The Home Depot) with the Rt 35 just north of the Crooked Creek interchange on I-64.

Old 05-13-2013, 11:22 AM

1,889 posts, read 2,148,712 times
I also agree that the East End/Washington Street area needs a good supermarket. It would really help motivate people to move downtown and investors to remodel existing housing or even build new. It's hard to live downtown if you still have to drive out of the downtown area to go to the grocery store.

Old 05-13-2013, 02:12 PM

I hadn't heard anything about a new Target in Teays Valley, but if its true then I'm thrilled!!! That is a perfect spot for a Target (maybe even a Super Target)! It is true that they are connecting that road with the highway, so I could see possibly alot of new development along that stretch of land. It is already relatively flat between the shopping center and the highway, so it won't take much to build on. I could see an office park, a few new hotels, restaurants, new housing, or even an outlet mall. really that road will open that whole area up because it'll connect 35 in with the business area of Teays Valley instead of bypassing it like it does now.

as for the grocery store on the East End, I agree that it is a need for growth in downtown. I see how it would attract more people to live downtown, and would encourage more foot traffic. It would be cool to see a store with multiple levels and has other types of amenities like a coffee shop/donut, maybe a book store, a bank, or maybe even a full service restaurant. Heck it could even have apartments above it like some cities have and WVU will soon have.

Here are some places I thought would be good for onehttps://maps.google.com/maps/ms?msid...f1d649984f788f
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > West Virginia > Charleston