Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > South Carolina > Charleston area
 [Register]
Charleston area Charleston - North Charleston - Mt. Pleasant - Summerville - Goose Creek
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 10-30-2009, 02:06 PM

1,108 posts, read 3,324,696 times

Advertisements

I work for Boeing. Is Charleston ready for 3800 high paying jobs plus the ripple effect? Also I can tell you this is just the beginning. There will be second lines for the 737 and 777. Boeing has long term plans to grdually shift out of the Puget Sound area and SC has won the prize. Charleston will eventually see a net of about 8000 Boeing jobs by the end of the next decade.

The result over the next decade will be a dramatic increase in Charleston's per capita income. The real estate market will not only recover but boom. And Charlestons area population will likely double by 2015.

The big question - is Charleston ready? Current residents need to take a good look around. This is the calm before the storm. 5 -10 years from now Charleston will be a completely different place.

How do some of you natives and long time residents think this play out? How will the locals react to lots of new comers all at once?

Last edited by _Charles_; 10-30-2009 at 02:20 PM..
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 10-30-2009, 02:30 PM

7,934 posts, read 17,353,044 times
We will see......

Old 10-30-2009, 02:53 PM

1,108 posts, read 3,324,696 times
Actually most of the new jobs created by Boeing will not go to current SC residents. Boeing will recruit the talent they want nationally and internationally – bringing those folks into SC. Real estate prices in SC are going to jump big time. I strongly encourage current SC residents thinking about buying a home to do it soon. And current home owners will be able to cash in the coming jump in market by simply waiting for it. Never mind the current recession – SC is about to boom but not in ways some of the locals will be expecting. I’m serious you all need to get ready for a tsunami of changes about to hit Charleston and your state.

Old 10-30-2009, 04:12 PM

10,113 posts, read 10,981,874 times
Goodness ... you have Summerville, Mt. Pleasant, Hanahan and of course all the beach locations ... if people are brought in and making big bucks they can afford a nice home on the ocean.

How many people in Seattle will lose their jobs over this relocation?

Charleston and South Carolina is more than ready for Boeing, if they choose to hire any SC residents ... the question should be ... will the people relocating here be ready for South Carolina.

Yes, I'm a native.

Old 10-30-2009, 04:39 PM

764 posts, read 1,599,324 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by _Charles_ View Post
Actually most of the new jobs created by Boeing will not go to current SC residents. Boeing will recruit the talent they want nationally and internationally – bringing those folks into SC. Real estate prices in SC are going to jump big time. I strongly encourage current SC residents thinking about buying a home to do it soon. And current home owners will be able to cash in the coming jump in market by simply waiting for it. Never mind the current recession – SC is about to boom but not in ways some of the locals will be expecting. I’m serious you all need to get ready for a tsunami of changes about to hit Charleston and your state.
WOW.

Someone who knows nothing about this market is calling all to get on the Housing Boom Bandwagon.

Dust off all those home ATMs and plug them in - it's deja vu all over again circa 2006. Hurry now as there is going to be a run on these machines.

Those of you who are upside down, on the verge of losing your home, on the foreclosure path, speculators needing to catch a break, etc....your prayers have been answered!

Just.hold.on.a.little.bit.longer....

Buy now or forever be priced out of this marketplace.

You can take this to the bank!

Old 10-30-2009, 06:17 PM

435 posts, read 836,298 times
SC real estate is not cheap. All the places that I am looking at are around 400k. I got pre-approved just below 500k, I still think they are over priced especially if you look at per sqft!!! Saying Boeing will help SC real estate market is like saying Boeing helped Everett real estate market north of Seattle, LOL!

Old 10-30-2009, 09:18 PM

1,195 posts, read 3,477,013 times
Quote:
I work for Boeing. Is Charleston ready for 3800 high paying jobs plus the ripple effect? Also I can tell you this is just the beginning. There will be second lines for the 737 and 777. Boeing has long term plans to grdually shift out of the Puget Sound area and SC has won the prize. Charleston will eventually see a net of about 8000 Boeing jobs by the end of the next decade.

The result over the next decade will be a dramatic increase in Charleston's per capita income. The real estate market will not only recover but boom. And Charlestons area population will likely double by 2015.

The big question - is Charleston ready? Current residents need to take a good look around. This is the calm before the storm. 5 -10 years from now Charleston will be a completely different place.

How do some of you natives and long time residents think this play out? How will the locals react to lots of new comers all at once?
Charles we are more than ready for the change, and if I find out quick enough I hope to be one of those on the front of the line applying!

I have over 25 yrs of computer/mechanical/machine tool/welding experience and have a decent job as far as what this area usually offers, but I have a feeling Boeing will be offering a LOT more... among other things I've heard they are an excellent company with the area they build in being just as important to them as to the people who live there...

I am a native, and we are more than ready. Trident Technical College is more than ready to start training too, it'll actually bring TTC back full circle to their roots as a skill based school. I've gone there several times over the years, excellent facility that's extremely important to this area. They will step up to the plate ready to bat...

and as far as the influx of people, we are a community of mostly transit people that decided to stay... this was mainly a military city for many years with much of it's population from all over the country constantly coming and going, since the navy based closed we have had more coming than going and we all benefit from that

ask around and you'll find out MOST of the people here are from somewhere else... don't let a deception from an old southern horror movie shape your perception of this area

Old 10-30-2009, 09:20 PM

764 posts, read 1,599,324 times
Quote:

Troll or shill...not sure which way I'd characterize this...

Old 10-30-2009, 09:33 PM

9,101 posts, read 16,480,198 times
Quote:

Greater Charleston is a lot bigger than it may seem and is almost as big as Boston proper with pushing 600,000 people. 3800 is a little more than a half of one percent. I'm sure the jobs will be welcome and hopefully some of them will be taken by some of the 12% of South Carolinians that are unemployed now. But I think the 3800 people will find PLENTY of homes both older and new construction available when they get here.

Old 10-31-2009, 06:17 AM

2,527 posts, read 8,028,489 times
"By the end of next decade"....perhaps. But, as good as the news is, there's no instant-fix in sight.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > South Carolina > Charleston area