Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > South Carolina > Charleston area
 [Register]
Charleston area Charleston - North Charleston - Mt. Pleasant - Summerville - Goose Creek
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 10-31-2009, 09:53 PM

2,527 posts, read 8,023,060 times

Advertisements

Haha, you're right. There's plenty that'll hopefully get fixed afterwards, and I'm all about being optimistic. I love that Boeing's coming here. I just know that it's not going to be any kind of instant-fix. It'll take years until they're completely settled in, and some time after that before those ripple effects start happening.

Regardless of when the effects start to appear, the wait will be worth it.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 11-02-2009, 09:57 AM

77 posts, read 202,449 times
I guess I look at it this way. Boeing came here for 2 reasons IMO. Right to work state and the avg cost for a machinist per hour is 14 instead of ~26 in the seattle area. I don't expect to see a huge influx if High paying jobs. Look at what google did. They do not pay the people working at the google shop in Goose Creek the wages the same people in Atlanta get. It is comporable to the area and jobs surrounding it. I forsee Boeing doing the same...If that was not the case then you would have people from surrounding industries trying to leave their job and work for Boeing, which I'm sure will happen, but I don't exactly think that is in the 'business model'...idk...just my 2 cents...

Old 11-02-2009, 10:04 AM

45,676 posts, read 24,044,199 times
I don't know about that. I know someone who worked for a major corporation in rural Mississippi and they got paid the same hourly rate as someone in a more urban, area.

You all are 'assuming' and nobody knows for sure.

Even if the wages are in keeping with the market wages in the area -- it is more jobs. It will have a domino effect on other businesses in the area.

The first impact will be in the construction area -- they have to build the plant first.

As I said before -- the total impact won't be known for sometime -- but it's got to be a positive.....even if it is smaller than some predict. A positive impact beats no impact.

Old 11-02-2009, 10:06 AM

77 posts, read 202,449 times
^^^Completely agree...Just don't think this is going to be the 'industry' that changed Charleston, much like elluded to in previous posts...

Old 11-02-2009, 02:29 PM

3,840 posts, read 3,071,684 times
Boeing will be a major boost to the local economy but Chas. needs to recruit a couple fortune 200 companies to move their corporate HQs to the lowcountry. Then the area could really start building a strong and balanced job market.

Old 11-02-2009, 04:01 PM

3,049 posts, read 8,911,656 times
we would like the jobs but not really want the people, their values and the traffic. but if you get in bed with a scratching dog you are bound to get fleas

Old 11-03-2009, 11:52 AM

1,108 posts, read 3,322,905 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Flat2MT View Post
Troll or shill...not sure which way I'd characterize this...
Oh this is too funny.
No I am not a troll but thank you for sharing your attitude.
No I am not a shill - I have nothing to gain or lose. Boeing going to SC has no affect on me at all. And BTW I don't work in Everett or for BCA - Boeing is much larger than that (too funny). And I am not a union employee either...LOL

Just asking out of curiosity - no you can be sure.
If pointed questions personally bother you oh well. I can only suggest you work on your issues.

Old 11-07-2009, 08:27 PM

209 posts, read 534,479 times
Economic Development 101 says that for every dollar a company invests in an area 7 dollars are spent in the community. Another way of saying it is that that one dollar turns over 7 times. So when Boeing arrives in SC, we'll see a significant increase in the surrounding communities. Even if out-of-area workers are brought in for some of the managerial jobs, those employees will buy houses, cars, golf carts, golf club memberships, etc. They will shop in the stores, eat out in restaurants, and buy gasoline and auto insurance. In economic development, the saying is "a rising tide lifts all ships."

Yes, the infrastructure will need to expand to accommodate the influx of people, but that's standard. The increase in taxes paid from everything will help cover it all.

Old 11-08-2009, 08:27 AM

45,676 posts, read 24,044,199 times
Rumor has it that the construction contracts should be finalized by year end. WOO HOO -- that's moving fast.

And definitely -- more companies needed to really make a big difference...but having Boeing here may give the idea to other big corporations. We'll see.

Old 11-14-2009, 07:06 PM

3 posts, read 9,286 times
What does all this mean to a family wanting to move to summerville next year. will the housing prices stay around the same as now for next year. when is Boeing coming exactly?
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > South Carolina > Charleston area