Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > South Carolina > Charleston area
 [Register]
Charleston area Charleston - North Charleston - Mt. Pleasant - Summerville - Goose Creek
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 10-31-2009, 06:47 AM

1,195 posts, read 3,472,385 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by emilybh View Post
Greater Charleston is a lot bigger than it may seem and is almost as big as Boston proper with pushing 600,000 people. 3800 is a little more than a half of one percent. I'm sure the jobs will be welcome and hopefully some of them will be taken by some of the 12% of South Carolinians that are unemployed now. But I think the 3800 people will find PLENTY of homes both older and new construction available when they get here.
no doubt about that emily, that will barely put a small dent in the empty houses standing in the lowcountry... it will take much more than this, but this is a fantastic start and should create many small support businesses as well which will also fill houses and stores with people actually buying more product of all kinds...

it's definitely a major boost for this area in more areas than just that one plant... unfortunately much of the unemployed in this area are unskilled, even the many laid off from bosch are just unskilled assembly workers that are probably just now realizing they were overpaid unskilled labor...

by the looks of it there will be more skilled labor involved with Boeing than unskilled "put this bolt here and tighten it with this pre-set torque air ratchet as it rolls by on the belt" on 300 of the same pieces all day long... I would think much more attention would be required for an airplane than an auto, or parts for an auto.

We should all welcome Boeing with open arms and be grateful they decided to come here!! This will eventually be larger than the navy base was IMHO.

This is HUGE for this area
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 10-31-2009, 07:08 AM

1,556 posts, read 3,547,902 times
I would not get too excited about Boeing coming to Charleston.....while it will create some jobs for the city of Charleston and some revenue for the state of SC at the end of the day companies are attracted to locate in one area over another area because that area (Charleston) will keep more money in the companies pocket probably through some kind of state tax incentive. Then they will do just like other companies that have located in Greenville, SC for example......they will locate there, bring (transfer) talent in from other states, pay the transplants top dollar to relocate and then the few remaining lower wage labor intensive jobs will be left for the natives to fight over. If Boeing is going to locate there then the city of Charleston must be the one's controlling the deal. In other words in exchange for the money that Boeing will save by putting their operations there someone must make sure that a certain percentage of the jobs are filled by SC residents and that their interests are looked out for. Otherwise it will end up being another BMW & Michelin story, they located their operations in Greenville but a large amount of their employees were transferred from other states so the benefits felt by SC residents is limited.

Old 10-31-2009, 07:41 AM

1,195 posts, read 3,472,385 times
NYBorn you should read the articles on postandcourier.com before commenting, it clearly states that part of the deal was that Boeing is to hire 3800 locals straight from the lowcountry... natives...

you people trying to put this down are either retirees that could care less, people living in other areas that are somewhat jealous, or already wealthy enough not to care about your fellow lowcountrymen

we get something this HUGE and all you can say is something sarcastic?? jezzzz... what a bunch of selfish pessimist...

Boeing don't pay those naysayers any attention at all... they are just retirees that are frustrated with looking out their windows everyday to spy on the neighbors, but as hard as they try still haven't found anything juicy to entertain themselves with yet... lol

EVERYONE I've talked to in real life, mostly natives, are EXTREMELY excited about this prospect!! you'd have to be a total idiot not to be...

this is excellent news for thousands of residents!! those that say different don't realize what effect this will have yet, but they will...

one of the many things that will have to change is our education system, they will have to come up to par with the rest of the nation if we continue to try to compete to bring large companies like this here... we will HAVE to provide the skill and intelligence to do the jobs once the plants are open, with our ridiculous drop out rate compared to the rest of the country things will have to change in the very near future...

teachers will actually have to teach, and the politicians controlling the teachers will have to retire so new blood can come in that will back what these teachers actually need for support to teach our children... instead of merely pushing them through the system

with some of the self proclaimed teachers I've seen on this forum I can understand why our system is in shambles but that will have to change soon...

Old 10-31-2009, 08:44 AM

153 posts, read 380,800 times
meks, this is year 14 of teaching for me. I currently live in the metro area of Atlanta and I am excited about this opportunity. I want to come over and teach very badly. I love the Charleston area and had been looking since early last year for a job. I pray that there will be openings for the upcoming school year. I have always taught in Title I schools and do not mind working there. I love working with children. I pray this is my year!

In the meantime..CONGRATULATIONS you all!

Old 10-31-2009, 09:10 AM

45,676 posts, read 24,008,400 times
Yeah -- no matter what - it is a good thing. I wouldn't think you would see a change in the next year -- it's a long term gain. For those anxious to get jobs, sell houses, etc. -- relax -- it will happen just not in the next year.

Old 10-31-2009, 09:24 AM

764 posts, read 1,597,987 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by NewYorkBorn View Post
I would not get too excited about Boeing coming to Charleston.....while it will create some jobs for the city of Charleston and some revenue for the state of SC at the end of the day companies are attracted to locate in one area over another area because that area (Charleston) will keep more money in the companies pocket probably through some kind of state tax incentive. Then they will do just like other companies that have located in Greenville, SC for example......they will locate there, bring (transfer) talent in from other states, pay the transplants top dollar to relocate and then the few remaining lower wage labor intensive jobs will be left for the natives to fight over. If Boeing is going to locate there then the city of Charleston must be the one's controlling the deal. In other words in exchange for the money that Boeing will save by putting their operations there someone must make sure that a certain percentage of the jobs are filled by SC residents and that their interests are looked out for. Otherwise it will end up being another BMW & Michelin story, they located their operations in Greenville but a large amount of their employees were transferred from other states so the benefits felt by SC residents is limited.
Good analysis. Another example of how the book version is much different to what is eventually portrayed on the screen...

Old 10-31-2009, 10:19 AM

764 posts, read 1,597,987 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by meks View Post
NYBorn you should read the articles on postandcourier.com before commenting, it clearly states that part of the deal was that Boeing is to hire 3800 locals straight from the lowcountry... natives...

you people trying to put this down are either retirees that could care less, people living in other areas that are somewhat jealous, or already wealthy enough not to care about your fellow lowcountrymen

we get something this HUGE and all you can say is something sarcastic?? jezzzz... what a bunch of selfish pessimist...

Boeing don't pay those naysayers any attention at all... they are just retirees that are frustrated with looking out their windows everyday to spy on the neighbors, but as hard as they try still haven't found anything juicy to entertain themselves with yet... lol

EVERYONE I've talked to in real life, mostly natives, are EXTREMELY excited about this prospect!! you'd have to be a total idiot not to be...

this is excellent news for thousands of residents!! those that say different don't realize what effect this will have yet, but they will...

one of the many things that will have to change is our education system, they will have to come up to par with the rest of the nation if we continue to try to compete to bring large companies like this here... we will HAVE to provide the skill and intelligence to do the jobs once the plants are open, with our ridiculous drop out rate compared to the rest of the country things will have to change in the very near future...

teachers will actually have to teach, and the politicians controlling the teachers will have to retire so new blood can come in that will back what these teachers actually need for support to teach our children... instead of merely pushing them through the system

with some of the self proclaimed teachers I've seen on this forum I can understand why our system is in shambles but that will have to change soon...
You may want to read the actual legislation instead of relying on the newspaper. I recommend anything you read in the P&C (and the rest of the media) and hear from politicians you should take it at face value - and do then some homework.

There is NO requirement to hire... natives straight from the lowcountry.

There is NO requirement to hire 3800 employees to get the income tax benefits - the legislators used the word 'or' as in as long as they hire at least FT 200 employees (read white collar) at a cash compensation level three times the per capita income for the state of SC.

Obviously, they will eventually hire many more employees but if they meet this minimun hiring level, then they met their obligations to the state for the income tax benefit.

Reference your 'Naysayers' remark....Those who provide objective analysis on this subject, whether natives, retirees, outsiders, etc, are actually providing the requisite knowledge one needs to make an informed decision.

Old 10-31-2009, 10:51 AM

1,125 posts, read 3,776,950 times
According to the Post and Courier Newspaper:

"South Carolina lawmakers tweaked state rules Wednesday to give breaks to companies that make major investments within the state. Boeing will have to create at least 3,800 jobs and invest more than $750 million within seven years to take advantage of them.
The package includes a tax exemption for fuel that is burned during aviation test flights and while transporting airplane parts to other manufacturing locations. It also would exempt computer equipment purchases and allow a qualifying company to immediately pay no sales tax on construction materials, rather than wait for a 2011 phase-in.
It would ensure that the company could negotiate with state officials to pay little in corporate income taxes for 10 years by deleting a minimum pay requirement. Current law allows the income tax break for companies investing at least $10 million and creating 200 jobs, but mandates salaries be three times the state's per capita income."

"Charleston County officials put together their own incentives package, which is still confidential but typically includes property tax relief. Council members could consider the package as early as their Nov. 12 meeting. "

Here is a link to the legislation.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Flat2MT View Post
You may want to read the actual legislation instead of relying on the newspaper. I recommend anything you read in the P&C (and the rest of the media) and hear from politicians you should take it at face value - and do then some homework.

There is NO requirement to hire... natives straight from the lowcountry.

There is NO requirement to hire 3800 employees to get the income tax benefits - the legislators used the word 'or' as in as long as they hire at least FT 200 employees (read white collar) at a cash compensation level three times the per capita income for the state of SC.

Obviously, they will eventually hire many more employees but if they meet this minimun hiring level, then they met their obligations to the state for the income tax benefit.

Reference your 'Naysayers' remark....Those who provide objective analysis on this subject, whether natives, retirees, outsiders, etc, are actually providing the requisite knowledge one needs to make an informed decision.

Last edited by USCJoe; 10-31-2009 at 11:04 AM..

Old 10-31-2009, 07:56 PM

45,676 posts, read 24,008,400 times
Beats the alternative -- businesses leaving.

Old 10-31-2009, 09:24 PM

29 posts, read 111,869 times
Hi DJShymansky!
What about the extra schools we'll need? The infrastructure which at this time still su*ks!? Our highways? Traffic? Both miserable! I think we have lots of things we'll need. Yet, it seems that there's a wait until it's beyond miserable before it's thought about getting it done. I agree with ya! I've lived here a long time, yet I started crawling in Fayetteville, NC, went to UNC-Wilmington for my pre-pharmacy & then to Summerville, SC....with some years in Myrtle Beach I chose to not even mention! YUKKY!!!!!!!! Once there, never again in this lifetime!
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > South Carolina > Charleston area