Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > California
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 03-08-2020, 11:50 AM

228 posts, read 161,859 times

Advertisements

What really gets me is that criminal US officials and MSM spread dangerous lie/misinformation that people do not need masks.
This is something that should warrant Nuremberg-type of trial for them down the road, I hope. The reason they do it is to prevent widespread awareness and justifiable worry about the situation during elections year and to protect their inadequate mask supplies (which would be reserved for the rich and medical workers only).

Everyone should have a mask on hand: as a minimum to protect others, to cover their mouth if they end up feel unwell and absolutely have to go out, even to a doctor's office or emergency room, for example. Wearing a good mask, especially a respirator, will also protect from inhaling droplets. There's a reason these masks are worn to prevent various particles inhalation, it's not an empty reason they make these masks and grade their protection classes. These criminals saying people don't need masks is like saying you don't need a respirator when working with asbestos materials and that respirators are useless.

A couple of days ago I've seen a woman walking around the grocery store coughing all over and not covering her mouth, including coughing all over vegetables laying in the open, with reddish nose and eyes, looking like she's sick. These sickos who do not cover their mouth are everywhere. In another store, employee was walking around coughing all the time. And they say people are "panicking" by stocking up on supplies to avoid multiple trips to stores?
Get the mask, and if you can't buy it, make it. Even a homemade mask is better than nothing, simple gauze masks had been around since forever, helping in all the old-time epidemics.

Last edited by worldcitizen10; 03-08-2020 at 12:01 PM..

Old 03-08-2020, 12:08 PM

6,675 posts, read 4,274,087 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by worldcitizen10 View Post
What really gets me is that criminal US officials and MSM spread dangerous lie/misinformation that people do not need masks.
This is something that should warrant Nuremberg-type of trial for them down the road, I hope. The reason they do it is to prevent widespread awareness and justifiable worry about the situation during elections year and to protect their inadequate mask supplies (which would be reserved for the rich and medical workers only).

Everyone should have a mask on hand: as a minimum to protect others, to cover their mouth if they end up feel unwell and absolutely have to go out, even to a doctor's office or emergency room, for example. Wearing a good mask, especially a respirator, will also protect from inhaling droplets. There's a reason these masks are worn to prevent various particles inhalation, it's not an empty reason they make these masks and grade their protection classes. These criminals saying people don't need masks is like saying you don't need a respirator when working with asbestos materials and that respirators are useless.

A couple of days ago I've seen a woman walking around the grocery store coughing all over and not covering her mouth, including coughing all over vegetables laying in the open, with reddish nose and eyes, looking like she's sick. These sickos who do not cover their mouth are everywhere. In another store, employee was walking around coughing all the time. And they say people are "panicking" by stocking up on supplies to avoid multiple trips to stores?
Get the mask, and if you can't buy it, make it. Even a homemade mask is better than nothing, simple gauze masks had been around since forever, helping in all the old-time epidemics.
Some nurses I know said the masks are not effective. Even so I’d cover my mouth if I coughed and stay home if I felt ill.

My company has implemented a policy that if you travel internationally, you can’t come into the office for 14 days. We can work from home so it’s not a financial burden on people.

Old 03-08-2020, 12:14 PM

77,771 posts, read 104,672,365 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mike930 View Post
Someone posted a video in another thread about the panic buying. In Asia, there were false rumors that paper was being diverted to make masks.

You’re right, it’s being inconsiderate of others. These people are ruled by fear. Some stores are starting to implement a limit on what people can buy.

As far as quarantines, they are legal and no one would be able to sue for loss of liberty. That’s ridiculous and any lawsuit would fail. It’s like suing for loss of freedom of speech if you can’t yell fire in a crowded theater.
Glad to hear some stores are putting limits on purchases. As for law suits, I would think anyone would know you can't sue if you are quarantined. Have to wonder where some people get their crazy ideas?

As for the masks, I have heard they are not effective at all from more than 1 source. I guess someone with no medical connections knows more than all those who do have knowledge.

Old 03-08-2020, 12:23 PM

4,169 posts, read 2,139,432 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by nmnita View Post
Glad to hear some stores are putting limits on purchases. As for law suits, I would think anyone would know you can't sue if you are quarantined. Have to wonder where some people get their crazy ideas?

As for the masks, I have heard they are not effective at all from more than 1 source. I guess someone with no medical connections knows more than all those who do have knowledge.
CDC , local health officials do not have any law enforcement power. If person refused to listen to them, only thing they can do is go to court and get court order. During Ebola state of Main tried to get ebola nurse ordered to quarantine. Judge refused to sign that order because she wasn't showing any symptoms. Until person is showing symptoms, his /her liberty can't legally be restricted

edit:New York settled lawsuit and agreed that even during quarantine person retains his/her right to sue and challenge the quarantine.

Last edited by looker009; 03-08-2020 at 12:52 PM..

Old 03-08-2020, 12:41 PM

228 posts, read 161,859 times
Example of a lying sack of [excuse me, insert appropriate words here] "journalist" spreading gross misinformation:
https://thehill.com/changing-america...ut-coronavirus
(Chia Li-Hou writing for The Hill, "6 Dangerous myths about coronavirus"). I believe this person is paid up, not merely ignorant. The exact reason people should be preparing - clearly there's chaos, misinformation and complete inability by the governments to handle such emergency.

False claims made:

Myth: Using hand sanitizer will kill the virus

- In real life, of course hand sanitizers with high ethanol content destroy coronavirus and other similar viruses.
There's a bunch of studies on old SARS coronavirus, newest COVID SARS and numerous other viruses being killed by 70% ethanol (and other agents used in sanitizers, but I just use ethanol)

Myth: Banning travel can prevent spread of the virus
- haha, that's a good one. In the meanwhile, almost entire Northern Italy is being quarantined today.

Myth: You need a face mask to protect you from getting infected
SARS-CoV-2 does not seem to be transmitted through the air, meaning the air you breathe is most likely totally
fine.

-dirty LIE. CDC and WHO both clearly state airborne transmission route. Is she claiming CDC is lying on their website? And if so, why do all involved medical workers have to wear masks and gloves?

They're spreading this misinformation intentionally, that's why I'm talking about future Nuremberg type trial for this kind.

Last edited by worldcitizen10; 03-08-2020 at 12:57 PM..

Old 03-08-2020, 01:06 PM

629 posts, read 619,399 times
Quote:

Masks can potentially help spread it around if you’re infected. They do NOT protect you from getting it if you’re exposed.

Reminds me of seeing hundreds of people walking around SF when the air quality was horrific during the fires, wearing basic medical masks, thinking they were fine. Most of them had no idea that the masks weren’t helping at all, but in fact, were giving them a false sense of security, which often actually increased exposure instead of protecting them. They were actually worse off because this false confidence ended up adding exposure that they might not have had if there were no masks at all. This has the same impact for people as what we’re seeing here, if only psychologically. They might not be as careful since they’re wearing masks, so it’s ok to be a bit more relaxed about exposure. So with that logic, it’s better to tell people to not wear them at all.

Old 03-08-2020, 01:15 PM

629 posts, read 619,399 times
Quote:
Example of a lying sack of [excuse me, insert appropriate words here] "journalist" spreading gross misinformation:
https://thehill.com/changing-america...ut-coronavirus
(Chia Li-Hou writing for The Hill, "6 Dangerous myths about coronavirus"). I believe this person is paid up, not merely ignorant. The exact reason people should be preparing - clearly there's chaos, misinformation and complete inability by the governments to handle such emergency.

False claims made:

Myth: Using hand sanitizer will kill the virus

- In real life, of course hand sanitizers with high ethanol content destroy coronavirus and other similar viruses.
There's a bunch of studies on old SARS coronavirus, newest COVID SARS and numerous other viruses being killed by 70% ethanol (and other agents used in sanitizers, but I just use ethanol)

Myth: Banning travel can prevent spread of the virus
- haha, that's a good one. In the meanwhile, almost entire Northern Italy is being quarantined today.

Myth: You need a face mask to protect you from getting infected
SARS-CoV-2 does not seem to be transmitted through the air, meaning the air you breathe is most likely totally
fine.

-dirty LIE. CDC and WHO both clearly state airborne transmission route. Is she claiming CDC is lying on their website? And if so, why do all involved medical workers have to wear masks and gloves?

They're spreading this misinformation intentionally, that's why I'm talking about future Nuremberg type trial for this kind.

You’re more likely to contract it by touching a source of infection (person, table, phone, doorknob, etc) and then touching your face (mouth, nose, eyes) than breathing it in. Another reason why masks aren’t helpful. And no ones wearing eye protection, but how often do people touch their eyes? All the damn time. Stop touching your face! That, and washing your hands, do the most to keep from contracting this. Using hand sanitizer helps, though, definitely agree with you on this.

Most of this comes down to habit changes. Masks give a false sense of security. The most important thing you can do (as with most infections) is minimize direct contact, and consider that every time you touch something, then touch another thing, you’re passing it around that way. Touch a grocery cart, then your door handle, steering wheel, door to your house, refrigerator, etc. And in between doing all of that you’ve touched your face fifty times.

Old 03-08-2020, 01:50 PM

5,381 posts, read 8,683,351 times
This might be of some help:

List N: EPA’s Registered Antimicrobial Products for Use Against Novel Coronavirus SARS-CoV-2, the Cause of COVID-19 Date: 03/03/2020
https://www.epa.gov/sites/production...03-03-2020.pdf

Old 03-08-2020, 06:50 PM

26,716 posts, read 26,776,017 times
3/8 - “We’re past the point of containment,” Dr. Scott Gottlieb, commissioner of the Food and Drug Administration during the first two years of President Trump’s administration, said on CBS’ “Face the Nation.”

“We have to implement broad mitigation strategies. The next two weeks are really going to change the complexion in this country. We’ll get through this, but it’s going to be a hard period. We’re looking at two months, probably, of difficulty,” Gottlieb said.

In California, officials said the Grand Princess cruise ship would dock Monday at the Port of Oakland and outlined plans for the nearly 3,000 people aboard the ship, about 1,000 of whom are from California. They stressed that no one on board would be released immediately to the general public.

On Sunday, Gov. Gavin Newsom said the ship would dock Monday at the commercial Port of Oakland to disembark all passengers and those who needed medical attention, including 19 infected crew members.

The governor expected the operation to take up to three days but emphasized that the situation was “fluid” and could take longer, in part because the port does not regularly deal with cruise ships and there would only be small windows of opportunity for it to enter the port, based on tides and currents...

Newsom said California currently has testing kits for 8,000 individuals and that a private lab, Quest Diagnostics in San Juan Capistrano, will also have the capacity to run an additional 2,000 tests each day beginning Monday if needed.

Coronavirus enters new phase:
https://www.latimes.com/california/s...in-san-antonio

Old 03-08-2020, 07:09 PM

4,169 posts, read 2,139,432 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by CA4Now View Post
3/8 - “We’re past the point of containment,” Dr. Scott Gottlieb, commissioner of the Food and Drug Administration during the first two years of President Trump’s administration, said on CBS’ “Face the Nation.”

“We have to implement broad mitigation strategies. The next two weeks are really going to change the complexion in this country. We’ll get through this, but it’s going to be a hard period. We’re looking at two months, probably, of difficulty,” Gottlieb said.

In California, officials said the Grand Princess cruise ship would dock Monday at the Port of Oakland and outlined plans for the nearly 3,000 people aboard the ship, about 1,000 of whom are from California. They stressed that no one on board would be released immediately to the general public.

On Sunday, Gov. Gavin Newsom said the ship would dock Monday at the commercial Port of Oakland to disembark all passengers and those who needed medical attention, including 19 infected crew members.

The governor expected the operation to take up to three days but emphasized that the situation was “fluid” and could take longer, in part because the port does not regularly deal with cruise ships and there would only be small windows of opportunity for it to enter the port, based on tides and currents...

Newsom said California currently has testing kits for 8,000 individuals and that a private lab, Quest Diagnostics in San Juan Capistrano, will also have the capacity to run an additional 2,000 tests each day beginning Monday if needed.

Coronavirus enters new phase:
https://www.latimes.com/california/s...in-san-antonio
Today I learned from a friend he might be filling a lawsuit against state of California for civil rights violation resulting from ship being refused docking permission.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Closed Thread

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > California