Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > California
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 05-08-2021, 04:30 PM

37,153 posts, read 39,418,669 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by sav858 View Post
Assuming everyone or nearly everyone gets their 2nd dose, almost 75% of residents will be vaccinated soon. Who knows if the rest of the nation will reach that level. Also SF has a much lower positivity/transmission rate than much of the US so no matter how you look at it your chances of catching it in a city like SF are very low.

I was looking at this cdc site that has a map on the county level of vaccinations, and it's interesting that the Bay Area specifically seems to have done pretty well with vaccinations compared to the rest of the US and the rest of CA. Are there any guesses on what accounts for this?

Old 05-08-2021, 05:41 PM

6,741 posts, read 6,733,588 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by OyCrumbler View Post
I was looking at this cdc site that has a map on the county level of vaccinations, and it's interesting that the Bay Area specifically seems to have done pretty well with vaccinations compared to the rest of the US and the rest of CA. Are there any guesses on what accounts for this?
LA Times has zip code level for the state. Lamorinda and Walnut Creek are around 50% fully vaxxed, while parts of Oakland and the Central Valley are 15-25%. Similar trend in LA, Palos Verdes is in the 40s, nearby Compton in the teens. Highly dependent on income levels.

https://www.latimes.com/projects/cal.../#zip-code-map

Old 05-09-2021, 12:57 AM

6,616 posts, read 4,884,211 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by OyCrumbler View Post
People who want to travel are being vaccinated. I think San Fran natives who have some money are eager to travel out of the area. Of course if I'm right, that means an ostensibly pro-health measure is significantly being motivated by a relatively unsafe goal.

Old 05-09-2021, 06:43 AM

26,731 posts, read 26,820,948 times
"Statewide, about 84% of secondary school students have the option to return to their middle and high schools in some form, according to state data, which do not separate out high schools. An estimated 48% of all secondary students at schools that are open have returned to campus.

Reopening elementary schools was simpler: one class, one schedule. But educators have grappled with complex secondary schedules in which students move from classroom to classroom. The goal of safely bringing them back to campus has largely resulted in limited schedules and restrictions on hallway encounters, lunch with friends and extracurriculars, among other rules."

California high schoolers are saying no thanks to reopened campuses and are staying home:
https://www.latimes.com/california/s...eopening-rules

Old 05-09-2021, 08:55 AM

35,071 posts, read 17,024,527 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by CA4Now View Post
I agree that it's often hard to follow Dr. Gandhi's line of thinking. Given her medical background, it's surprising to read what she's said about herd immunity, in light of recent information about that.
To the vaccination numbers you have to add people who are naturally immune. That must be a bunch. My father-in-law died with, not of, Covid. My wife visited repeatedly in the hospital's Covid wing and at home as his coronary and artery situation deteriorated and not once did my wife, or for that matter his wife test positive.

Where herd immunity exists is a guess.

Old 05-09-2021, 11:31 AM

4,433 posts, read 2,453,170 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by sav858 View Post
Assuming everyone or nearly everyone gets their 2nd dose, almost 75% of residents will be vaccinated soon. Who knows if the rest of the nation will reach that level. Also SF has a much lower positivity/transmission rate than much of the US so no matter how you look at it your chances of catching it in a city like SF are very low.

The chances of catching it anywhere at this point are pretty low if you're vaccinated, even if you're not. I just thought that statement about mingling sounded off. It's not like SF is some remote city in the midwest which doesn't get a lot of outsiders (and potential carriers of the virus). That's what I meant by it not being a bubble city.

Old 05-09-2021, 11:42 AM

4,433 posts, read 2,453,170 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by CA4Now View Post
"Statewide, about 84% of secondary school students have the option to return to their middle and high schools in some form, according to state data, which do not separate out high schools. An estimated 48% of all secondary students at schools that are open have returned to campus.

Reopening elementary schools was simpler: one class, one schedule. But educators have grappled with complex secondary schedules in which students move from classroom to classroom. The goal of safely bringing them back to campus has largely resulted in limited schedules and restrictions on hallway encounters, lunch with friends and extracurriculars, among other rules."

California high schoolers are saying no thanks to reopened campuses and are staying home:
https://www.latimes.com/california/s...eopening-rules

It's surprising to me the number of parents still not electing to send kids back too. The name of the game right now is stable groups as opposed to stable cohorts before. The difference is lost on me other than that groups are now larger than what was allowed in cohorts. In theory, kids in these groups don't commingle. In practice, even where you have lot's of staffing to work with, it's really hard to pull off. Where I'm at, we do a good job with it but we have administrators who actually care. Even so, I bet a lot of the more anxious parents would be uncomfortable if they saw the sausage being made. I know that at other sites much less is being done to abide by the rules imposed by the state. Right now everyone is just banking on the fact that kids aren't good carriers and spreaders of the virus.

Old 05-09-2021, 01:19 PM

6,741 posts, read 6,733,588 times
https://www.wsj.com/articles/florida...rs-11615973402

Other states aren't having major problems reopening schools.

Old 05-09-2021, 03:09 PM

6,616 posts, read 4,884,211 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by joosoon View Post
It's surprising to me the number of parents still not electing to send kids back too. The name of the game right now is stable groups as opposed to stable cohorts before. The difference is lost on me other than that groups are now larger than what was allowed in cohorts. In theory, kids in these groups don't commingle. In practice, even where you have lot's of staffing to work with, it's really hard to pull off. Where I'm at, we do a good job with it but we have administrators who actually care. Even so, I bet a lot of the more anxious parents would be uncomfortable if they saw the sausage being made. I know that at other sites much less is being done to abide by the rules imposed by the state. Right now everyone is just banking on the fact that kids aren't good carriers and spreaders of the virus.
Older teens spread it more like adults than middle-school students, with the caveat that most don't mingle much with post-teen adults they aren't related to. Most high-school students will be allowed to be vaccinated soon, but not enough to change this semester's attendance.

Old 05-09-2021, 06:35 PM

3,155 posts, read 2,702,162 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by joosoon View Post
They're not going back because of the insane restrictions put in place in LA and SF. Our local high schools are open like normal, and 80%+ of the students are back. Same deal with private schools that have been open all winter.

LA parents aren't afraid to send their kids back, there's just no point since they're going to be zooming in empty rooms with even worse instruction than they got when stuff was shut down. Would you bother driving to work if, when you arrived, you couldn't do your job? Why go to school if there is still going to be just distance nonlearning when you get there?
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Closed Thread

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > California