Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > California
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 03-15-2021, 05:29 PM

4,433 posts, read 2,447,326 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by CA4Now View Post
I've never heard of this. And how would it be possible, if children 16 and under--J & J's restriction is 18 and under--cannot currently receive the vaccine?

It's not happening in any major district. Maybe some timbuktu part of the state with a one school, school district, but in the large urban areas it hasn't even been raised.

People are convinced it's "those damned unions!" without even bothering to factcheck themselves. I'm kind of done with this. I've led the horses to the water but I can't make them drink the knowledge. It honestly doesn't matter to me. The smart thing would be for districts still trying to formulate reopening right now to just concentrate that effort into next year. 2021 is a loss and with so little time left, it's not worth it for a lot of them to cut through all the state's red tape to make it happen. The goal should be getting the maximum reopening done right for next Fall. Here at home, part of the tentative agreement says they will offer full time Summer school. That's also a good alternative but the limitations are still there as long as California keeps the color code scheme.

Old 03-15-2021, 05:35 PM

18,980 posts, read 32,631,650 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by joosoon View Post
Not entirely. It's still limited by CDPH guidelines as I explained. The state made some allowances for counties in purple to reopen K-6 only if the other criteria were met. I posted the short info already. If you still don't believe it, you can read it in maximum verbosity instead:

K-12 School Reopening Framework and Guidance Q&A

More

Even more

All of those circle back to one major point about the color tiers and what is and isn't allowed:

Not all the counties (including San Diego) are in red tier yet, therefore not all schools can reopen even if they wanted. Red has become the new green in the state's eyes as they become desperate to deal with their own ridiculous system.
So they all pretty much can open K-6 schools since nearly every county is below a 25 case rate? I probably wasn't clear but I was mainly referring to K-6; my kids are in the 1st grade so that's all I'm really focused on right now. I've mainly advocated for younger kids going back as I realize there is greater risk with middle and high school students.

Old 03-15-2021, 05:39 PM

2,540 posts, read 1,032,845 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by sav858 View Post
So they all pretty much can open K-6 schools since nearly every county is below a 25 case rate? I probably wasn't clear but I was mainly referring to K-6; my kids are in the 1st grade so that's all I'm really focused on right now. I've mainly advocated for younger kids going back as I realize there is greater risk with middle and high school students.

Can you put your kids in a private school or learning pod with a few other families? IMO, the public schools are indoctrination camps.

Old 03-15-2021, 06:12 PM

26,717 posts, read 26,782,723 times
Quote:
People are convinced it's "those damned unions!" without even bothering to factcheck themselves. I'm kind of done with this. I've led the horses to the water but I can't make them drink the knowledge.
I completely agree.

Old 03-15-2021, 06:14 PM

26,717 posts, read 26,782,723 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by ThinkingOutsideTheBox View Post
Can you put your kids in a private school.... IMO, the public schools are indoctrination camps.
Tuition per year for one of the private school near us: $30,275.

Old 03-15-2021, 06:54 PM

6,616 posts, read 4,875,202 times
Quote:
Umm what? What I did, respond so you can see it. I'm surprised it was even you considering how much you go back and forth with people on here. Calling me unpleasant....pot meet kettle.

They seem to be worried about "unnecessary travel" no? Whether it's to Hawaii or Nebraska is kind of besides the point.

I'm sure they do and it's a ridiculous requirement seeing as all the other essential workers out there still working without it. Maybe they are, maybe they aren't. My guess is they are doing the same crap as everyone else.
People should make decisions based on safety information. Of the 50 states, Hawaii is the safest to visit. It is not in my power to decide what the CDC advises or what people actually do. If you continue to minimize facts around here, most people will ignore what you say.

Old 03-15-2021, 07:09 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by goodheathen View Post
People should make decisions based on safety information. Of the 50 states, Hawaii is the safest to visit. It is not in my power to decide what the CDC advises or what people actually do. If you continue to minimize facts around here, most people will ignore what you say.
I don't think that decision had anything to do with safety at all. You really think they chose "Hawaii" because of safety in December? With CA surging at that time they shouldn't have been traveling at all according to the state and CDC.

Old 03-15-2021, 07:12 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by ThinkingOutsideTheBox View Post
Can you put your kids in a private school or learning pod with a few other families? IMO, the public schools are indoctrination camps.
It's not really a cost we can easily absorb right now. What some lady offered for pods was ridiculous considering she just seemed to be supervising them during DL. We were just kind of waiting it out hoping but if its virtual next year we will definitely consider it. Plus I like their school, it's a bilingual magnet school.

Old 03-15-2021, 07:17 PM

14,299 posts, read 11,677,294 times
Quote:
In which district are you seeing bargaining language that's asking for all students to be vaccinated? As I've said a million times, I've actually read all the boring text of some of the bigger districts tentative plans and agreements. I've yet to see one insisting that kids have to be inoculated.

Not happening as far as I can tell but feel free to correct me if I'm wrong. The hold up right now is that the state has imposed rules which are holding back schools. Read the links carefully.
I am sure I have read that here and there--not that it was written into any agreements, but that multiple teachers were quoted on it.

Certainly many districts have said they will require students to be vaccinated, once vaccines have been approved for children. And this is from the California Teacher's Association:

Quote:
The union demands that parents of school children, irrespective of their age and risk factor, and those living within the households of those working in schools, be vaccinated at the same time as teachers.
https://thehill.com/opinion/educatio...ia-kids-out-of

Old 03-15-2021, 07:21 PM

6,616 posts, read 4,875,202 times
Quote:
I don't think that decision had anything to do with safety at all. You really think they chose "Hawaii" because of safety in December? With CA surging at that time they shouldn't have been traveling at all according to the state and CDC.
Probably so then. At most, safety might have swayed some to Hawaii instead of Mexico. Now it should be thought of as the least stupid national destination.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Closed Thread

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > California