Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > California
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 05-05-2021, 04:06 PM

26,735 posts, read 26,828,098 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by sav858 View Post
T I'm guessing maybe the article hit a little too close to home.
<sigh> You would.

Old 05-06-2021, 02:20 AM

1,658 posts, read 3,548,735 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by CA4Now View Post
Why are you quoting a pointedly political article on this thread?

From your article: "For many progressives, extreme vigilance was in part about opposing Donald Trump. Some of this reaction was born of deeply felt frustration with how he handled the pandemic. It could also be knee-jerk. “If he said, ‘Keep schools open,’ then, well, we’re going to do everything in our power to keep schools closed,” Monica Gandhi, a professor of medicine at UC San Francisco, told me. Gandhi describes herself as “left of left,” but has alienated some of her ideological peers because she has advocated for policies such as reopening schools and establishing a clear timeline for the end of mask mandates. “We went the other way, in an extreme way, against Trump’s politicization,” Gandhi said."
Once again, Dr. Gandhi is spot on. Trump is a mess, sure, but this mindlessly-going-out-of-one’s-way-to-do-the opposite-of-what-Trump-says is just as bad, and is exactly the behavior I’ve seen from so many of my acquaintances. I’m shocked (but glad) that she actually publicly called it out. (Another obvious example: it’s why many on the left suddenly became pro-war after Trump decided to pull out of Syria.)

I sometimes wonder what would have happened if Trump insisted we lock down, rather than calling coronavirus a hoax. Most likely, the “lockdown or die” crowd would have called Trump insane for suggesting it and insisted that he was a Chinese puppet.

Old 05-07-2021, 06:46 AM

The number of COVID-19 patients reported statewide Tuesday — the most recent day for which data are available — was 1,555. That’s lower than the lowest number in The Times’ record of hospitalizations reported by state officials, which began March 30, 2020, when 1,617 people were hospitalized with confirmed COVID-19 infections.

There remain some areas of California that have seen less progress. While no California counties are in the most restrictive purple tier, a dozen of the state’s 58 counties are in the second-most restrictive, or red, tier.

The counties — Sacramento, San Joaquin, Stanislaus, Solano, Placer, Merced, Shasta, Madera, Nevada, Yuba, Tehama and Del Norte — are largely in the Central Valley, the Sierra foothills and the rural north of the state.

https://www.latimes.com/california/s...mising-new-low

Old 05-07-2021, 08:15 AM

14,317 posts, read 11,708,830 times
Quote:
The number of COVID-19 patients reported statewide Tuesday — the most recent day for which data are available — was 1,555. That’s lower than the lowest number in The Times’ record of hospitalizations reported by state officials, which began March 30, 2020, when 1,617 people were hospitalized with confirmed COVID-19 infections.

There remain some areas of California that have seen less progress. While no California counties are in the most restrictive purple tier, a dozen of the state’s 58 counties are in the second-most restrictive, or red, tier.

The counties — Sacramento, San Joaquin, Stanislaus, Solano, Placer, Merced, Shasta, Madera, Nevada, Yuba, Tehama and Del Norte — are largely in the Central Valley, the Sierra foothills and the rural north of the state.

https://www.latimes.com/california/s...mising-new-low
Speaking of the silly tiers-and I can't wait until they go away in June--I was quite surprised that LA County entered the yellow tier this week while Orange Co. had to stay in orange. OC has been doing noticeably better than LA this entire time, so how did LA's case count get to be lower than ours?

Oh, of course, it isn't. The numbers are being fudged. LA is getting "extra credit" for testing more people than OC and so it gets to subtract numbers from its case count. OC's current case count of 2.3 per 100k is accurate; number is accurate, LA's count of under 2 per 100k is not.

Same old story. Remember when the number of available ICU beds wasn't really the number of ICU beds, because areas with more Covid patients had to subtract from the actual number of beds available so it looked like there were fewer, or none?

I hope people remember, come recall time, how the current governor has been completely unable to let numbers and facts speak for themselves.

Old 05-07-2021, 02:37 PM

3,080 posts, read 1,746,664 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Radical347 View Post
Once again, Dr. Gandhi is spot on. Trump is a mess, sure, but this mindlessly-going-out-of-one’s-way-to-do-the opposite-of-what-Trump-says is just as bad, and is exactly the behavior I’ve seen from so many of my acquaintances. I’m shocked (but glad) that she actually publicly called it out. (Another obvious example: it’s why many on the left suddenly became pro-war after Trump decided to pull out of Syria.)

I sometimes wonder what would have happened if Trump insisted we lock down, rather than calling coronavirus a hoax. Most likely, the “lockdown or die” crowd would have called Trump insane for suggesting it and insisted that he was a Chinese puppet.
You are absolutely correct on all points.

Old 05-07-2021, 04:05 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Radical347 View Post
Once again, Dr. Gandhi is spot on. Trump is a mess, sure, but this mindlessly-going-out-of-one’s-way-to-do-the opposite-of-what-Trump-says is just as bad, and is exactly the behavior I’ve seen from so many of my acquaintances.
The study quoted in The Atlantic article was one done by Marc Hetherington of the U. of North Carolina and is not referenced. It had nothing to do with reactions about the coronavirus in California.

https://college.unc.edu/inthemedia/t...quit-lockdown/

Old 05-07-2021, 04:26 PM

18,982 posts, read 32,668,735 times
Quote:
The study quoted in The Atlantic article was one done by Marc Hetherington of the U. of North Carolina and is not referenced. It had nothing to do with reactions about the coronavirus in California.

https://college.unc.edu/inthemedia/t...quit-lockdown/
So? What is your point?

Old 05-07-2021, 04:36 PM

^^ This thread is about the coronavirus in California. It's not about the reaction of "progressives" on a national level to the pandemic.

Old 05-07-2021, 04:45 PM

18,982 posts, read 32,668,735 times
Quote:
^^ This thread is about the coronavirus in California. It's not about the reaction of "progressives" on a national level to the pandemic.
The article is still applicable to "coronavirus in CA" though. This is a very odd and desperate way to try and dismiss a study/article even for you. TONS of articles and information discussed in this thread isn't specific to just CA.

Old 05-07-2021, 05:07 PM

4,433 posts, read 2,454,727 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by saibot View Post
Oh, of course, it isn't. The numbers are being fudged. LA is getting "extra credit" for testing more people than OC and so it gets to subtract numbers from its case count. OC's current case count of 2.3 per 100k is accurate; number is accurate, LA's count of under 2 per 100k is not.

It's a funky system but if I recall, the same thing applied to San Diego several months back and it kept us from sliding back into purple from red for a brief moment before the last big surge. The whole color tier scheme has been ridiculous because the differences between what each level allows is dubious in the big picture. The risks have been the same throughout so it never made sense to have things like dynamic capacity limits and such. That's really where the science became "science". The state didn't even try to hide this fact when the judge in LA's restaurant lawsuit asked to see the magic formula behind the restrictions.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Closed Thread

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > California