Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > California
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 07-02-2021, 08:08 AM

3,068 posts, read 1,737,720 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by CA4Now View Post
She was speaking of L.A. County, where confirmed virus cases have doubled since mid-June. Los Angeles coronavirus thread is here: https://www.city-data.com/forum/los-...-19-cases.html
False.

She specifically said San Diego County.

Quote:
Originally Posted by citizensadvocate View Post
Cases are already taking a uturn and rising daily in San Diego county due to the new variant based on the local news sources.
Quote:
Originally Posted by dfwmia View Post
With the new variant spreading, wouldn't it be prudent to reimpose lockdowns, restaurant closures and mandatory masks? Where is Newsom on this? Pandering to the right just so he can beat recall overlooking the safety of the entire state?
Well great. I'm glad you're dissatisfied with him as much as conservatives. You have a chance to recall him in September. Take advantage of it.

Last edited by stablegenius; 07-02-2021 at 08:23 AM..

Old 07-02-2021, 08:30 AM

4,754 posts, read 2,972,063 times

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Ydx_ok6gyiY

This is not similar to what's going on today....right?

Old 07-02-2021, 09:22 AM

26,717 posts, read 26,776,017 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by stablegenius View Post
False.
Sorry; I thought you meant the other poster. Citizen is a "he."

Old 07-02-2021, 09:22 AM

35,002 posts, read 16,964,237 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by DabOnEm View Post
This is not similar to what's going on today....right?
Not at all. Me and my wife and two adult sons are vaccinated without a hint of trouble. Ditto my law colleagues. I am in a 65 person law firm and not a single report of illness. And even though during the height of the unvaccinated part of the pandemic I conducted pretty close to business as usual, we did lose a client through death and there have been other deaths too close to home for comfort.

Sorry, I don't go either with the alarmists who persist in isolating or wearing masks, or with the anti-vaxxers.

Old 07-02-2021, 09:24 AM

6,616 posts, read 4,875,202 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by dfwmia View Post
With the new variant spreading, wouldn't it be prudent to reimpose lockdowns, restaurant closures and mandatory masks? Where is Newsom on this? Pandering to the right just so he can beat recall overlooking the safety of the entire state?
It doesn't need that for the entire state. Doesn't need lockdowns anywhere, actually. However, Newsom knows that local leaders in some areas either by default don't care about safety or are unwilling to act for maybe worse reasons. Only when cases go up significantly will a weakling like Garcetti in LA mandate anything, and that is playing from behind.

Old 07-02-2021, 01:47 PM

4,433 posts, read 2,447,326 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by CA4Now View Post
We know how effective two of the vaccines are in preventing COVID complications and/or deaths. However, your article does not state anything about the 50 people who actually died of the Delta variant who were fully vaccinated. That's the concern.

First, it's not an article; it's a summary of various studies from the UK's health authority. But hospitalizations equate to breakthrough cases and are reflected in those numbers (96% and 92%) of two dose recipients. Given that the percentages were derived from over 14k people in the study, the number of deaths (especially if it's only 50 individuals) represents an even smaller number than the breakthrough hospitalizations which were only 166. It's unlikely and would defy logic that deaths would exceed hospitalizations unless people are succumbing to the variant so quickly, they're dying before even being diagnosed and/or being admitted to a hospital. That isn't happening.

The summary even states: "Further work remains underway to establish the level of protection against mortality from the Delta variant. However, as with other variants, this is expected to be high. The analysis included 14,019 cases of the Delta variant – 166 of whom were hospitalised – between 12 April and 4 June, looking at emergency hospital admissions in England.

In other words, deaths will be a subset of hospitalizations.

Old 07-02-2021, 01:55 PM

4,433 posts, read 2,447,326 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by stablegenius View Post
Yes but the poster I was responding to said cases were on the rise. More fear mongering I guess...

Right. I got that. I was just keying off your post to add information.
As long as the vaccines keep up with any mutations like they are, I think we'll be good. I'll feel better about things once eligibility is open to kids under twelve. If we see a surge that puts us back to levels like last winter, then something went terribly wrong and we may as well just throw in the towel. Fortunately, that isn't happening and Delta hasn't significantly pierced the armor of the any of the major vaccines.

Old 07-02-2021, 03:39 PM

4,754 posts, read 2,972,063 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by jbgusa View Post
Not at all. Me and my wife and two adult sons are vaccinated without a hint of trouble. Ditto my law colleagues. I am in a 65 person law firm and not a single report of illness. And even though during the height of the unvaccinated part of the pandemic I conducted pretty close to business as usual, we did lose a client through death and there have been other deaths too close to home for comfort.

Sorry, I don't go either with the alarmists who persist in isolating or wearing masks, or with the anti-vaxxers.
Just because YOU haven't doesn't mean others have not dealt with issues or know people who have. But besides that you missed the overall larger point of that entire video...

Old 07-02-2021, 03:45 PM

35,002 posts, read 16,964,237 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by DabOnEm View Post
Just because YOU haven't doesn't mean others have not dealt with issues or know people who have. But besides that you missed the overall larger point of that entire video...
What in your view is the point?

Old 07-02-2021, 04:22 PM

26,717 posts, read 26,776,017 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by joosoon View Post
.....It's unlikely and would defy logic that deaths would exceed hospitalizations unless people are succumbing to the variant so quickly, they're dying before even being diagnosed and/or being admitted to a hospital. That isn't happening.

The summary even states: "Further work remains underway to establish the level of protection against mortality from the Delta variant. However, as with other variants, this is expected to be high. The analysis included 14,019 cases of the Delta variant – 166 of whom were hospitalised – between 12 April and 4 June, looking at emergency hospital admissions in England.

In other words, deaths will be a subset of hospitalizations.
Regardless of what subset from which these deaths result, those people are, in fact, dead. And they were fully vaccinated. A major concern to those of us over 50 who are also fully vaccinated and who live in L.A. County, where the presence of the Delta variant, as of yesterday, is double the number of last week.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Closed Thread

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > California