Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > California
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 06-11-2020, 10:38 AM

6,675 posts, read 4,278,056 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by ohio_peasant View Post
Yesterday I spent a full day in a traditional office-setting, with coworkers, wearing a mask for nearly the entirety of the time. Lessons:

1. It's a bit awkward to be sipping coffee through a mask.

2. Conversations through masks range between awkward and incomprehensible.

3. It's hard to see one's laptop's screen, taking notes during a meeting, when one's glasses fog-up, on account of said mask.

4. Missing facial expressions, owing to blockage by the mask, sarcasm, humor or encouraging-smiles are lost. Communications suffers.

5. Masks and coronavirus become an incessant conversational detour, stymieing productivity.

6. Working-lunches, with food delivered to the conference room, become impossible.

7. Coworkers in general feel more agitated, resentful and bitter.

We reached tacit agreement that masks all-day-everyday-for-everyone simply aren't going to work. Fortunately we have a comparatively voluminous building for a presently small company, so it is possible for people to sit in their own spaces, and then to Zoom-in, from their respective locales.

This isn't some snide attempt to score rhetorical points. Masks simply are untenable as a way of life, for office-employees working 9+ hour days.
That’s odd. Our company guidelines are that we have to wear masks while on common areas and can take them off while at our desks.

I understand every company is different.

Old 06-11-2020, 10:42 AM

42,850 posts, read 26,275,432 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mike930 View Post
I’m not trying to be snarky, but you have people already on edge from almost three months of lockdown. Things are starting to open up, but there’s still limits and we’re constantly being told not to gather in groups.

Enter the protests. That in itself is one thing, but then you have the politicians that have been warning us actually praising the protests and in some cases joining them.

How do you expect people to react?
I would expect that they would act like responsible human beings. It's real sad that people are so stressed from 3 months of lockdown, which in reality wasn't a 'lockdown' at all. It makes me wonder how they would react if something really bad happened like a war. We truly are a society geared toward expecting instant gratification, aren't we?

Old 06-11-2020, 10:55 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by 2sleepy View Post
I would expect that they would act like responsible human beings. It's real sad that people are so stressed from 3 months of lockdown, which in reality wasn't a 'lockdown' at all. It makes me wonder how they would react if something really bad happened like a war. We truly are a society geared toward expecting instant gratification, aren't we?
Maybe, but again, you can’t expect people to abide by the restrictions when a large group doesn’t. It isn’t even the protests, but the politicians joining and praising them.

It seems everyone is giving the protesters a free pass. The virus must not be so bad after all.

And I agree with acting like responsible adults. Let’s start with the protesters and the politicians joining and praising them.

Old 06-11-2020, 10:58 AM

6,089 posts, read 4,987,805 times
Corona Virus will disappear completely from the news headlines by the week of November 4th.

Old 06-11-2020, 11:00 AM

21,736 posts, read 16,350,818 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mike930 View Post
Do you expect people to be compliant after the people who said don’t gather in groups go out and protest with thousands of people?

Why should people obey any of the restrictions when they obviously don’t apply to a particular group?
Do I expect people to be compliant? No. Not for long. Not before or after being told anything one way or the other.

Why should people obey any restrictions? Well, if the restrictions are rational one might guess that would be a good reason to follow them, no?

Again, it comes down to people thinking and acting rationally ... and homo sapiens, despite being gifted with rational abilities as our primary survival tool, aren’t known for applying the skill across the board of life, are we?

You know, I haven’t actually argued in favor of social-distancing and facemask-wearing. Nor against it. I do, however, post analyses of why various leaderships are empowered to issue executive orders, on what bases, and why those entitled decisions are as good as any non-expert, anonymous, armchair quarterbacking guesses. You may interpret my analyses as personal support for the various edicts and policies ... But you wouldn’t always be correct in your assumptions.

I haven’t even said whether I personally wear masks in public. Nor whether I think the economy shut-downs have been prudent.

Old 06-11-2020, 11:06 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tulemutt View Post
Do I expect people to be compliant? No. Not for long. Not before or after being told anything one way or the other.

Why should people obey any restrictions? Well, if the restrictions are rational one might guess that would be a good reason to follow them, no?

Again, it comes down to people thinking and acting rationally ... and homo sapiens, despite being gifted with rational abilities as our primary survival tool, aren’t known for applying the skill across the board of life, are we?

You know, I haven’t actually argued in favor of social-distancing and facemask-wearing. Nor against it. I do, however, post analyses of why various leaderships are empowered to issue executive orders, on what bases, and why those entitled decisions are as good as any non-expert, anonymous, armchair quarterbacking guesses. You may interpret my analyses as personal support for the various edicts and policies ... But you wouldn’t always be correct in your assumptions.

I haven’t even said whether I personally wear masks in public. Nor whether I think the economy shut-downs have been prudent.
I don’t like the restrictions but I have abided by them. I hear the politicians say it’s necessary for public health, etc.

However, when the people telling us we have to do ABC, then let other people skate, plus join them in doing so, it kind of gives a mixed message. I’m supposed to wear a mask and social distance while others do not.

That’s not going to fly with many rational thinking people.

Old 06-11-2020, 11:43 AM

1,570 posts, read 1,379,835 times
Quote:

So I'm curious (or nosey) Tulemutt. Do you wear a mask in public and what do you think of the economy shut-downs? I mask up when I go out and about, but I have to tell you, after a few minutes with a mask on, I feel like George Floyd............"I can't breathe." I've tried the cloth masks and the paper masks. I've had trouble with both. I wind up gasping for breath and pulling it down so I can breathe properly. So much for not touching your face.

Old 06-11-2020, 11:55 AM

4,433 posts, read 2,453,170 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by looker009 View Post
The order violates freedom of non verbal expression

Maybe in theory, but unlikely in practice. I doubt there'd be much of a case with this, simply over the masks. On the other hand, the restrictions on peaceable assembly would be a better vehicle for a first amendment challenge. Even then though, our state supreme court upheld the church gathering ban. Not sure how that would fare in the U.S. supreme court.

Old 06-11-2020, 12:02 PM

4,433 posts, read 2,453,170 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by ohio_peasant View Post
Masks simply are untenable as a way of life, for office-employees working 9+ hour days.

Not that I disagree, but there are plenty of jobs which require wearing PPE for long stretches. In my former life, it wasn't uncommon to be under a mask or goggles or face shield for a few hours a day, in environments much worse than an office. In some trades, this is pretty normal. I knew people who did asbestos abatement and they were wrapped like mummies. But in those situations there's good reason. In an office, not so much. There isn't even clear data about how the virus is delivered person to person.

Old 06-11-2020, 12:44 PM

6,089 posts, read 4,987,805 times
Quote:
Oh thank you dear Nostradamus!
You're welcome.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Closed Thread

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > California