Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > California
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 05-10-2020, 11:16 AM

1,156 posts, read 987,210 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mike930 View Post
I saw a similar number. That’s why you can’t go by raw numbers. They’re misleading. The mortality rate for healthy young adults is not 6-7%.

Once they knew this, they should have lifted the stay at home order for healthy people under 60 and left it in place for those over 60 with underlying conditions and everyone over 70. Something like that. The economy would not have had to suffer so much.
This has been known for a long time, and you're absolutely correct, this should have never completely shut down the economy for this long. I was ok with the 15-30 days, but anything over that is overkill especially since NY never needed anywhere close to their 30,000+ ventilators and numerous hospital beds. Meanwhile, Cuomo put Covid positive patients back into nursing homes through his EO on 3/25 or somewhere about that time. This amount of time has certainly allowed certain Dems to push their agenda. As Schumer announced yesterday, that now is the time for an FDR type deal, rather than waiting and waiting as Hoover did. Sorry, what a joke this has become.

https://www.worldometers.info/corona...-demographics/

Old 05-10-2020, 11:24 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by HereOnMars View Post
This is exactly true. It's not only us old farts dying of this.
True, Mars. I fall right in the middle of this category, but if there's no underlying conditions, the percentage of deaths falls to 0.9% for this age group. Hopefully, my bloodwork is ok since it's been over a year now without any physical. I'm willing to take the risk and open up safely. Will I see my mother and mother-in-law today? No, which I feel many people hopefully would abide by, but understand some won't heed that advice.

45 - 64 years old 1,581 deaths 23.1%

Old 05-10-2020, 11:30 AM

6,675 posts, read 4,278,056 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by HereOnMars View Post
This is exactly true. It's not only us old farts dying of this.
I’m on the edge of old fart territory. My sister falls into the very high risk category with her age and many underlying conditions. She gets sick at the drop of a hat. I would not go visit her until this is all over.

Meanwhile I was walking yesterday and two young people who appeared to be done exercising (walking casually with athletic clothing and profusely sweating) made a bee line for me, walked within a foot (no mask) and said hello. No attempt at social distancing.

Old 05-10-2020, 11:43 AM

4,022 posts, read 1,877,686 times
Sweden failed.

It's true (and has been said for a long time) your chances of dying from this at less than age 50 are probably 1 in 2000 or maybe 1 in 3000. Really, really low. But your chances of catching it in the first place - are quite high. Same as everyone else. Age that shows up at the hospital because they're so sick, they want evaluated? Median age is 43. Yup. Half of the people so sick they seek the emergency room are under age 43. So dying isn't the only thing we're trying to avoid here.

Meantime - people over 65 are 60 million people in this country. Kinda hard to hope they all stay indoors and NOT affect our economy somehow.

The death rate for young adults was not hidden. I haven't heard anyone "official" say even the OVERALL death rate was more than a percent or so, since at least March 30. It's just that 2% of OLD people will be a million of them - and that is alot - and as a prudent result - EVERYONE must play along.

Old 05-10-2020, 11:54 AM

19,208 posts, read 16,696,914 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by TR95 View Post
True, Mars. I fall right in the middle of this category, but if there's no underlying conditions, the percentage of deaths falls to 0.9% for this age group. Hopefully, my bloodwork is ok since it's been over a year now without any physical. I'm willing to take the risk and open up safely. Will I see my mother and mother-in-law today? No, which I feel many people hopefully would abide by, but understand some won't heed that advice.

45 - 64 years old 1,581 deaths 23.1%
Fingers crossed that you escape the virus. Right now, I'm feeling healthy but I'm actually more concerned about my doctor. He's older than me and has already suffered a heart attack.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mike930 View Post
I’m on the edge of old fart territory. My sister falls into the very high risk category with her age and many underlying conditions. She gets sick at the drop of a hat. I would not go visit her until this is all over.

Meanwhile I was walking yesterday and two young people who appeared to be done exercising (walking casually with athletic clothing and profusely sweating) made a bee line for me, walked within a foot (no mask) and said hello. No attempt at social distancing.
I hope your sister will be okay and it's wise to keep your distance. Keeping in touch by phone is the next best thing to seeing someone you care about.

As for those two you met on the street, there's no accounting for stupidity. smh

I still say it would be great if scientists could come up with a substance that could detect the virus. Much like luminol does in detecting blood. A spray solution that would show up purple or some other fabulous color.

Old 05-10-2020, 12:06 PM

26,731 posts, read 26,812,827 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by roodd279 View Post
It's true (and has been said for a long time) your chances of dying from this at less than age 50 are probably 1 in 2000 or maybe 1 in 3000. Really, really low. But your chances of catching it in the first place - are quite high. Same as everyone else. Age that shows up at the hospital because they're so sick, they want evaluated? Median age is 43. Yup. Half of the people so sick they seek the emergency room are under age 43. So dying isn't the only thing we're trying to avoid here.

Meantime - people over 65 are 60 million people in this country. Kinda hard to hope they all stay indoors and NOT affect our economy somehow.

The death rate for young adults was not hidden. I haven't heard anyone "official" say even the OVERALL death rate was more than a percent or so, since at least March 30. It's just that 2% of OLD people will be a million of them - and that is alot - and as a prudent result - EVERYONE must play along.
Good points. (Can't rep you again.)

Old 05-10-2020, 12:08 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by roodd279 View Post
Sweden failed.

Why do you say this? It's not over yet. So based on this you're saying the 8 other states behind Sweden in per capita deaths have failed as well? I will say NY failed big time, but not from just having the most deaths and per capita deaths, but from the idiot Cuomo and how he dealt with nursing homes. We'll see about Sweden, and if and when they achieve herd immunity. Of course, much easier with a 10M population, so that's why I compared them to states, even though that's not a direct comparison, and I understand that. Curious as to your thoughts why you can say Sweden failed?

Old 05-10-2020, 12:10 PM

26,731 posts, read 26,812,827 times
Three members of the White House coronavirus task force, including Dr. Anthony Fauci, placed themselves in quarantine after contact with someone who tested positive for COVID-19, another stark reminder that not even one of the nation’s most secure buildings is immune from the coronavirus.

Fauci, the director of the National Institute of Allergy and Infectious Diseases and a leading member of the task force, has become nationally known for his simple and direct explanations to the public about the coronavirus and COVID-19, the disease it causes. Also quarantining are Dr. Robert Redfield, director of the Centers for Disease Control and Prevention, and the commissioner of the Food and Drug Administration, Stephen Hahn.

Fauci’s institute said that he has tested negative for COVID-19 and will continue to be tested regularly. It added that he is considered to be at “relatively low risk” based on the degree of his exposure...

https://www.latimes.com/world-nation...-in-quarantine

Old 05-10-2020, 01:12 PM

3,260 posts, read 6,760,104 times
I can virtually guarantee you that in the fall, all the areas that will once again place their kids IN school, we will all see a significant resurgence of this and even other viruses. It happens every year, so this year should be even worse yet. I'm 66, type 2 diabetic with high blood pressure (controlled) so I'm remaining largely OUT of the public. The occasional shopping for food is about all I'm going to be involved with. I'm thinking along the lines we're a YEAR away from this thing calming down to the point one can travel freely. And that is assuming by early next year we'll all have gotten an innoculation against it.

Old 05-10-2020, 01:29 PM

460 posts, read 232,310 times
I'm not getting vaccinated for it, that's for sure, not gonna be their lab rat.

Oh and the sharks ate a surfer surfing off the closed beach in Monterey Bay, he should have stayed home....there're sharks out there, I mean, it's dangerous, why not sit home the whole day and order some fatburger online?
Yeah, there're going to be viruses, sharks, angry dogs, crazy people and bad drivers, lightning strikes out there and in some places, oh horror, wolves, bears, tigers, lions and leopards. Heck soon a badger spotted outside will be a national emergency and grounds for locking every one up.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Closed Thread

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > California