Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > California
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 06-09-2020, 11:32 AM

19,217 posts, read 16,701,480 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by tikkasf View Post
I would say 3/4 of the people I have seen out and about in SF are wearing a mask. It's not just a matter of protecting themselves, it is also about not passing the virus on to someone else. If I was carrying the virus, I hate to have passed on the virus to somebody...I personally know of a case of a individual who caught the virus, ended up being hospitalized for 2 weeks and another 2 weeks recovering at home, before returning to his job. (fortunately he still had a job to return to) He still has swelling in one leg caused clotting from the viral infection. His wife also caught the virus......but, she did not get that severely ill as he did. Fortunately, he had a wife to take care of him...before and after hospitalization.
I'm seeing the same. A large majority of people in my area are wearing masks although I see a number of people, alone or in couples, walking. Most likely to get their daily exercise. They don't wear masks and I say good. If no one is around and you're out in the big wide open space, it's silly and, quite honestly, one looks ridiculous doing it.

It's really strange how this virus has taken the life of so many and yet some hardly feel any symptoms at all. Truly puzzling and quite frightening at the same time. You never know how it will affect a person until they catch it.

Old 06-09-2020, 11:45 AM

2,379 posts, read 1,815,960 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by HereOnMars View Post
I'm seeing the same. A large majority of people in my area are wearing masks although I see a number of people, alone or in couples, walking. Most likely to get their daily exercise. They don't wear masks and I say good. If no one is around and you're out in the big wide open space, it's silly and, quite honestly, one looks ridiculous doing it.

It's really strange how this virus has taken the life of so many and yet some hardly feel any symptoms at all. Truly puzzling and quite frightening at the same time. You never know how it will affect a person until they catch it.

From what I have read, there seems to be a genetic component involved

Old 06-09-2020, 11:54 AM

19,217 posts, read 16,701,480 times
Quote:
From what I have read, there seems to be a genetic component involved
I read something about blood type, too. Something like Type A has a greater chance of contracting it and is quite serious. Other blood types not so much. I don't know if it's true but I know that someone with other health issues are certainly susceptible to a greater degree of illness, including death.

Old 06-09-2020, 12:22 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by HereOnMars View Post
I read something about blood type, too. Something like Type A has a greater chance of contracting it and is quite serious. Other blood types not so much. I don't know if it's true but I know that someone with other health issues are certainly susceptible to a greater degree of illness, including death.

Yes, I posted that research article regarding blood type. The results are preliminary as are other studies looking for possible "genetic markers" to explain why some who are not normally associated with highest risk group/s, are getting really sick from the virus and have some unexpected symptoms.

Old 06-09-2020, 12:57 PM

130,335 posts, read 12,112,869 times
wasn't there some speculation, in the early days, that it affected Asians more than other races, & Africans less. Well, that theory got turned on its head, when AAs started to get seriously hit by the disease.
So I am not yet buying the blood type discrimination theory.

Old 06-09-2020, 01:14 PM

1,156 posts, read 987,463 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by CaliRestoration View Post
Pretty much.

There was a County in the Bay Area (Contra Costa?) that redefined their Covid health guidelines and only allowed up to 12 people for outdoor social gatherings but up to 100 individuals for "protesting".

edit: found an article referencing it

https://reason.com/2020/06/08/califo...of-100-people/

If I lived in that County, I'd just invite everyone over for a "social protest" in my backyard, chips and dip, drinks, and BBQ provided.

At the end of the day, Covid-19 was a real virus, but the response was politicized by the media, and certain politicians to such a degree, it's almost certain the economic shutdown and response went far beyond what was necessary, that I am sure of.
All lockdowns should end. In Alameda County, they have the 10 people social bubbles. What a joke, trying to tell you how many to hang out with. Again, not going to follow any of it. Hypocrisy at its finest. Now, the WHO comes out with this about asymptomatic spread not as prevalent as thought. They do say spread can occur in pre-symptomatic people. Big surprise from the so-called experts.
Thanks
https://www.cnn.com/2020/06/08/healt...-bn/index.html

Old 06-09-2020, 02:06 PM

I understand it is frustrating over time to hear what seems to be contradicting information from the experts. But, it is a novel virus an I think it takes time through research and study to gain the knowledge needed. …...unfortunately, time became a luxury once the pandemic began.
We can see what happened in Brazil. The president of that country was against a lock down, downplayed the virus, described it as a “little flu”........now the bodies are piling up and the hospitals have their hands full in that country

Old 06-09-2020, 02:21 PM

6,089 posts, read 4,989,092 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by TR95 View Post
All lockdowns should end. In Alameda County, they have the 10 people social bubbles. What a joke, trying to tell you how many to hang out with. Again, not going to follow any of it. Hypocrisy at its finest. Now, the WHO comes out with this about asymptomatic spread not as prevalent as thought. They do say spread can occur in pre-symptomatic people. Big surprise from the so-called experts.
Thanks
https://www.cnn.com/2020/06/08/healt...-bn/index.html
Easy out, just call any outdoor activity you do a protest, then you're good for up to 100 people. Thanks Medical Experts!!!

Old 06-09-2020, 02:25 PM

6,089 posts, read 4,989,092 times
Quote:
We can see what happened in Brazil. The president of that country was against a lock down, downplayed the virus, described it as a “little flu”........now the bodies are piling up and the hospitals have their hands full in that country
The bodies are piling up?

Far FAR less deaths per capita than New York (literally 10x less) which has had one of the strictest and longest lock-downs in the world and Brazil is on the downward part of their curve.

But you know, the President of Brazil didn't shove Covid-19 patients into nursing homes like Cuomo did with his "smart lockdown".

Old 06-09-2020, 02:33 PM

4,627 posts, read 3,396,306 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by CaliRestoration View Post
The bodies are piling up?

Far FAR less deaths per capita than New York (literally 10x less) which has had one of the strictest and longest lock-downs in the world and Brazil is on the downward part of their curve.

But you know, the President of Brazil didn't shove Covid-19 patients into nursing homes like Cuomo did with his "smart lockdown".
The more relevant question you should be asking is how is Brazil doing relative to its region. The answer is Brazil's deaths per capita are 2nd highest in Latin America (i.e., warmer climates in what is largely a region in the tropics).

https://www.worldometers.info/coronavirus/?
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Closed Thread

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > California