Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > California
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 06-12-2020, 01:32 PM

4,433 posts, read 2,447,326 times

Advertisements

Our countywide mask ordinance has an exemption for non-specific medical reasons. It would be unwise for a business to strictly enforce wearing a mask for someone who can't breathe in one, whether it's true of not.

Old 06-12-2020, 03:39 PM

19,194 posts, read 16,675,444 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by janellen View Post
I don't have asthma or copd. I don't have a cough normally unless I have a cold, which is every 5 years or so. My O2 level is always at 98%. I think my problem lies with the masks I've been using. They've been a thick type of cloth. A friend made them for me and I think the material just won't let in enough air. I use a dust mask from the hardware store when I sweep out my barn and it doesn't cause me much discomfort. I wonder if they would be ok for wearing out in public as far as protection goes?
It could be that the material being used is just too thick. Those homemade masks are supposed to be made from 100% cotton but I've seen some that are cotton/poly blends, muslin, twill, and all sorts of other fabrics. I have asthma, although it's only exacerbated on very windy days or if I get around cats. Still, if I block my airway, it becomes a struggle to breathe well after wearing it for extended periods. I don't wear a mask when I go to the store. Fortunately, there are a number of people that I see going without one, too. At least I don't stick out like a sore thumb.

I did see something today that made me pause, though. I had to run out to HD for some hose washers and while I was there, I saw a woman pushing her young son, probably around two years old, in the cart. Mom was wearing a mask but her young son wasn't. I couldn't help but silently shake my head in confusion.

Old 06-12-2020, 03:52 PM

26,716 posts, read 26,776,017 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by HereOnMars View Post
I did see something today that made me pause, though. I had to run out to HD for some hose washers and while I was there, I saw a woman pushing her young son, probably around two years old, in the cart. Mom was wearing a mask but her young son wasn't. I couldn't help but silently shake my head in confusion.
Children under two cannot wear face masks safely, according to the American Academy of Pediatrics. They state that there's a risk of suffocation since children that young can't effectively communicate if they're having trouble breathing.

Old 06-12-2020, 03:59 PM

2,379 posts, read 1,812,753 times
Avoid spending your money on these masks though

https://www.cdc.gov/niosh/npptl/user...rfeitResp.html

Old 06-12-2020, 04:12 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by CA4Now View Post
Children under two cannot wear face masks safely, according to the American Academy of Pediatrics. They state that there's a risk of suffocation since children that young can't effectively communicate if they're having trouble breathing.
The child I saw today was over two years old. Don't know who those experts are but that's just nuts. A child who's able to speak will know if they can't breathe and if they are strong enough to pull the stuffing out of their teddy bear, they can rip a mask off their face. My gawd, the stupidity of these so-called health experts. I bet not a one of them ever had children.

Old 06-12-2020, 04:27 PM

14,299 posts, read 11,677,294 times
Quote:
The child I saw today was over two years old. Don't know who those experts are but that's just nuts. A child who's able to speak will know if they can't breathe and if they are strong enough to pull the stuffing out of their teddy bear, they can rip a mask off their face. My gawd, the stupidity of these so-called health experts. I bet not a one of them ever had children.
I wouldn't have wanted to try keeping a mask on one of my children when they were two years old or younger. It's not like a little toddler can understand why Mom is tying a cloth over his nose and mouth, and what he is likely to do is just what you said--rip it off. If Mom fastens it on so tightly that the child can't remove it, it actually could be a hazard. You don't tie things tightly over little children's airways, come on.

Anyway, first you said the child was "around two years old" and now "over two years old." The fact of the matter is that you don't know how old he was.

Old 06-12-2020, 11:35 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by saibot View Post
I wouldn't have wanted to try keeping a mask on one of my children when they were two years old or younger. It's not like a little toddler can understand why Mom is tying a cloth over his nose and mouth, and what he is likely to do is just what you said--rip it off. If Mom fastens it on so tightly that the child can't remove it, it actually could be a hazard. You don't tie things tightly over little children's airways, come on.

Anyway, first you said the child was "around two years old" and now "over two years old." The fact of the matter is that you don't know how old he was.
I know how hard it is to get a two-year-old to listen or do what they should when told. That's why it's called the "terrible twos." And who knows whether that little guy would have left a mask on or not. That's wasn't my point. It was the idiocy in the mother wearing a mask while he did not in a shared space less than three feet.

And pardon me for not reiterating the use of "around two years old" instead of using the latter. He looked to be around two, maybe a few months older. I didn't realize I would be scrutinized over it. Guess I should have stepped up to the woman and asked her son's age and then ask her why she was wearing a mask and he wasn't. It was just an observation.

Geezus, some of you and your obsession for precision. It's really amusing to read. smh

Old 06-13-2020, 10:08 AM

42,838 posts, read 26,236,305 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by janellen View Post
I don't have asthma or copd. I don't have a cough normally unless I have a cold, which is every 5 years or so. My O2 level is always at 98%. I think my problem lies with the masks I've been using. They've been a thick type of cloth. A friend made them for me and I think the material just won't let in enough air. I use a dust mask from the hardware store when I sweep out my barn and it doesn't cause me much discomfort. I wonder if they would be ok for wearing out in public as far as protection goes?
Any mask is better than no mask. I have N95 masks but they're hot and not very comfortable so I make masks for myself and my family that work well for normal tasks like shopping. I still wear an N95 when I have to be in the Doctors Office or when I go to the pharmacy. If you have access to a sewing machine there are some really comfortable masks with plenty of room to breathe in them that you can make in 10 or 15 minutes. I like the patterns that craft passion make (they are free to download) and they have a Facebook group where people discuss making masks and you can download patterns. https://www.facebook.com/groups/2570077506565911/

Even wearing a gaiter and pulling it up to cover your mouth and nose is better than no mask https://www.amazon.com/neck-gaiter/s?k=neck+gaiter One of my son's doesn't like masks but has no problem wearing a gaiter

Old 06-13-2020, 10:12 AM

Quote:
I know how hard it is to get a two-year-old to listen or do what they should when told. That's why it's called the "terrible twos." And who knows whether that little guy would have left a mask on or not. That's wasn't my point. It was the idiocy in the mother wearing a mask while he did not in a shared space less than three feet.

And pardon me for not reiterating the use of "around two years old" instead of using the latter. He looked to be around two, maybe a few months older. I didn't realize I would be scrutinized over it. Guess I should have stepped up to the woman and asked her son's age and then ask her why she was wearing a mask and he wasn't. It was just an observation.

Geezus, some of you and your obsession for precision. It's really amusing to read. smh
Oh my...isn't the truth? And I usually bite and spend hours trying to explain myself.

Old 06-13-2020, 10:20 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by ohio_peasant View Post
We reached tacit agreement that masks all-day-everyday-for-everyone simply aren't going to work. Fortunately we have a comparatively voluminous building for a presently small company, so it is possible for people to sit in their own spaces, and then to Zoom-in, from their respective locales.
This isn't some snide attempt to score rhetorical points. Masks simply are untenable as a way of life, for office-employees working 9+ hour days.
I'm glad they saw the error of their ways. Having office workers trying to answer phones and communicate with people all day while wearing masks isn't going to work. My son just went through that, they had been working from home with better productivity than before the virus but someone in management wouldn't have it and ordered them all to return to work. They don't have separate offices so they sit barely 6' apart and had to wear masks but as you found out sometimes you can't even see your monitor with a mask and they are working in excel all day, and telephone communication can be really difficult. By the end of the day they walked it back with 2 employees in the office each day and the rest working from home.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Closed Thread

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > California