Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > California
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 05-07-2020, 09:44 AM

19,208 posts, read 16,696,914 times

Advertisements

I tried to find the following story last night after it aired on NBC Nightly News but didn't have any luck. Fortunately, it's here this morning and it's really interesting information that changes what was previously reported.

Turns out, sunlight kills the virus, according to DHS lab testing. It was never confirmed until now. Also, the virus can live longer inside than outside. So, it appears that staying inside is more detrimental to one's health than being outdoors. Of course, distancing is still important as reported in this story, small particles of the virus that become airborne can travel deep into the lungs. So keeping your distance works almost as well as wearing a mask. The thing is you just don't want any of these small particles getting into your lungs.

Maybe with this new information, the governor won't be as concerned about keeping us inside but rather encourage us to get out into the sunshine, yet still keeping a good distance from one another. (Shopping indoors like in malls doesn't qualify as getting outside, though)

Personally, I don't believe the governor's intentions to keep people in their home was anything other than for protection. I really think it's the lack of confirmed information about how long this virus lives on surfaces or whether light affects it that drew him to conclude staying indoors is/was the best way to deal with this. As for the issues with the state's economy, that may end up being a bigger problem what with the unemployment numbers we're seeing. I wish him luck and all those who have lost their jobs.

So, with all that, it's better to get outside in the sun. And continue to wipe down surfaces you touch frequently in your home.

Here's the story that aired on last night's news, for those interested in watching it.

https://www.nbcnews.com/news/us-news...rvive-n1201386

Old 05-07-2020, 10:51 AM

5,267 posts, read 4,181,139 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by HereOnMars View Post
I tried to find the following story last night after it aired on NBC Nightly News but didn't have any luck. Fortunately, it's here this morning and it's really interesting information that changes what was previously reported.

Turns out, sunlight kills the virus, according to DHS lab testing. It was never confirmed until now. Also, the virus can live longer inside than outside. So, it appears that staying inside is more detrimental to one's health than being outdoors. Of course, distancing is still important as reported in this story, small particles of the virus that become airborne can travel deep into the lungs. So keeping your distance works almost as well as wearing a mask. The thing is you just don't want any of these small particles getting into your lungs.

Maybe with this new information, the governor won't be as concerned about keeping us inside but rather encourage us to get out into the sunshine, yet still keeping a good distance from one another. (Shopping indoors like in malls doesn't qualify as getting outside, though)

Personally, I don't believe the governor's intentions to keep people in their home was anything other than for protection. I really think it's the lack of confirmed information about how long this virus lives on surfaces or whether light affects it that drew him to conclude staying indoors is/was the best way to deal with this. As for the issues with the state's economy, that may end up being a bigger problem what with the unemployment numbers we're seeing. I wish him luck and all those who have lost their jobs.

So, with all that, it's better to get outside in the sun. And continue to wipe down surfaces you touch frequently in your home.

Here's the story that aired on last night's news, for those interested in watching it.

https://www.nbcnews.com/news/us-news...rvive-n1201386
Personally I think sun and being outdoors is the #1 reason Covid didn’t run rampant through the homeless population and now politicians are trying to put them stacked together in hotels.

Old 05-07-2020, 11:06 AM

21,737 posts, read 16,350,818 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Finper View Post
Personally I think sun and being outdoors is the #1 reason Covid didn’t run rampant through the homeless population and now politicians are trying to put them stacked together in hotels.
I agree.

Old 05-07-2020, 11:10 AM

1,156 posts, read 987,210 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by CA4Now View Post
Swedish officials on Wednesday said the country, which has taken a softer approach to curbing the spread of the new coronavirus, was nearing 3,000 deaths from COVID-19.

The country's Public Health Agency reported that a total of 23,918 cases had been confirmed and 2,941 deaths had been recorded, an increase of 87 deaths from the day before.

https://www.barrons.com/news/sweden-...us-01588775705
And then there's this side of the story. Given, that Sweden's per capita deaths are likely front loaded, and again occurred in people above 65+ (many in nursing homes as well), Sweden is still below many Euro countries in per capita deaths.

https://www.npr.org/2020/04/26/84521...mbassador-says

https://www.discovermagazine.com/hea...ainst-covid-19

Old 05-07-2020, 11:12 AM

Quote:
And wasting money doing it. Maybe he's following his idiot cult leader Cuomo.

https://www.nbcnews.com/news/us-news...ients-n1191811

Old 05-07-2020, 11:21 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by landlock View Post
Here's more of rich people shutting down access of peasants to nature (want to close popular trails)

The heck, they expect people to respect their rules (even after covid-19)? And they don't have to play by any rules? It won't be working like that. Seems like these started to think they're full-on feudals and just own all public land.

"Overcrowding, illegal parking could force closure of public land"
https://www.rgj.com/story/news/2020/...re/5170747002/

This is the same Humboldt-Toyabe National Forest that puts toxic and harmful to lung health air fresheners in their primitive bathrooms in camps...next time I see one of those it'll be in the garbage and they'll be getting a letter from a lawyer.
Fascism at it's finest. Let's remove people from their homes, but the politicians could never ship the homeless on a one-way bus ticket. People better wake up soon.

Levin said that we also realize that as we get more contacts, “some of the people are going to have trouble with being isolated, for instance, if they live in a home where there’s only one bathroom, and there are three or four other people living there and those people don’t have COVID infection we’re not going to be able to keep the person in that home. Every person whom we’re isolating, for instance, needs to have, uh, their own bathroom. And so we’ll be moving people like this into other kinds of housing that we have available. They’ll also have other needs perhaps – food, whatever it’s going to be – the county will be there to back them up and to support them.”

https://pjmedia.com/news-and-politic...vid-19-n388732

Old 05-07-2020, 12:11 PM

Quote:
Makes a lot of sense. The sun is very healing.

Old 05-07-2020, 12:12 PM

13,583 posts, read 15,662,103 times

Old 05-07-2020, 12:13 PM

4,433 posts, read 2,452,129 times
The people advancing these measures may be well meaning individuals, but the biggest impact this virus will have on us is setting the bar for bad policy in the future.

Old 05-07-2020, 12:13 PM

You have a great sense of humor, EAP. And these days, it's vital. Thanks for the laugh.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Closed Thread

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > California