Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > California
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 08-04-2022, 12:43 PM

382 posts, read 179,624 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by goodheathen View Post
That study is from India, such a different country that its applicability to the USA is too questionable.

Beyond that, yes, I might have underestimated pneumonia incidence in summer. However, I doubt I'm wrong about it rarely causing death in summer, which is the more important issue and countering the obvious agenda of downplaying the serious health problems COVID-19 can trigger.
Yeah, it's from India, so what. Like I said, it's not the greatest, but I'm not trying to prove a point like you. So it's rare that pneumonia causes death in the summer. Hey, here's a fact for you. It's rare Covid causes death or even long Covid. So no, I'm not downplaying the so-called serious health problems Covid can trigger if you're healthy. Gonna continue to live my life with no mask and no restrictions now. See ya.

Old 08-04-2022, 12:52 PM

26,731 posts, read 26,812,827 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by wac_432 View Post
In fact, deaths were so low during this wave, that it seems artificial. I can only surmise that more vaccination among vulnerable groups really cut down on deaths.
"Over the last week, Los Angeles County reported 116 COVID-19 fatalities, a 7% increase from a week ago.

“Since deaths always lag behind cases and hospitalizations, we are hopeful that the recent declines in cases and hospitalizations will bring declines in deaths in a few weeks,” said L.A. County Public Health Director Barbara Ferrer on Tuesday (8/2).

https://www.latimes.com/california/s...-far-from-good

Old 08-04-2022, 01:05 PM

6,616 posts, read 4,882,033 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Carpenter858 View Post
Yeah, it's from India, so what. Like I said, it's not the greatest, but I'm not trying to prove a point like you. So it's rare that pneumonia causes death in the summer. Hey, here's a fact for you. It's rare Covid causes death or even long Covid. So no, I'm not downplaying the so-called serious health problems Covid can trigger if you're healthy. Gonna continue to live my life with no mask and no restrictions now. See ya.

Accuses me of deliberately spinning things for an agenda, and then promotes an agenda with obvious lies, like Long-Covid being rare.

Last edited by goodheathen; 08-04-2022 at 01:14 PM..

Old 08-04-2022, 01:12 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by CA4Now View Post
It "literally" does not state it; it's your viewpoint. You continue to post misleading information. Getting multiple COVID infections does NOT boost your immune system, as you stated.

How multiple COVID-19 infections can harm the body:
https://www.nationalgeographic.co.uk...-harm-the-body
I hope it's not like repeated concussions, but it likely is.

I also hope the immune system isn't damaged like the scary measles factoid, but I'd already seen fringe research pointing in that direction.

Quote:
Originally Posted by wac_432 View Post
I seriously can't believe anyone is still talking about COVID. Even unvaxxed people are doing pretty good with BA.5. Japan has a clear Omicron1 and BA.5 spike to look at. It appears that BA5 is about 25% as virulent as Omicron1, which was about 10-25% as virulent as original Covid.

Check out deaths v infections: https://www.worldometers.info/corona...country/japan/

This is also pretty dramatically evident in California's infections v deaths. https://www.worldometers.info/corona...sa/california/

This last surge was probably dramatically undercounted. I know many people who got the sniffles and then tested positive for COVID. Anecdotally, it seemed like the same volume of people as with the giant Omicron wave. Reports of wastewater testing indicated a huge viral load as large as that of original Omicron.

However, the data shows that the needle barely moved on deaths. In fact, deaths were so low during this wave, that it seems artificial. I can only surmise that more vaccination among vulnerable groups really cut down on deaths. I would've expected a much larger bump, even if BA5 is only 1/4 as dangerous as original Omicron.
1) People don't die twice.

2) There isn't much opportunistic flu or pneumonia around to push COVID-positive people's health over the edge. And if you don't count many people in a weakened state for months and some doing overtly badly for many months or longer - and, well, you're wrong about the population "doing pretty good." If this were winter, there would be a big wave of deaths, and if the updated vaccine isn't much help (due to design or unpopularity), that's what I expect is coming.

Old 08-04-2022, 01:12 PM

19,208 posts, read 16,696,914 times
Quote:
"Over the last week, Los Angeles County reported 116 COVID-19 fatalities, a 7% increase from a week ago.

“Since deaths always lag behind cases and hospitalizations, we are hopeful that the recent declines in cases and hospitalizations will bring declines in deaths in a few weeks,” said L.A. County Public Health Director Barbara Ferrer on Tuesday (8/2).

https://www.latimes.com/california/s...-far-from-good
Do those stats of death include information on the prior health of the individual that died? Rather, how healthy were they before they contracted the virus? This is what I find being left out of information. There's no way of knowing if these patients were healthy and strong or if they had some underlying condition. These articles continually leave out that type of information and I find that very suspicious.

Old 08-04-2022, 01:25 PM

26,731 posts, read 26,812,827 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by HereOnMars View Post
Do those stats of death include information on the prior health of the individual that died? Rather, how healthy were they before they contracted the virus?
Some COVID data sites break it down by age and race; I've not seen any that list by pre-existing conditions, and have never seen the latter by county in California.

Old 08-04-2022, 01:31 PM

Quote:
Some COVID data sites break it down by age and race; I've not seen any that list by pre-existing conditions, and have never seen the latter by county in California.
Me neither. We don't have many cases but then we also don't have the population you do there. In fact, around here, you wouldn't really know the virus still exists if we didn't hear about it in the news. Life feels normal once again ... or as normal as it can be.

Old 08-04-2022, 02:22 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by HereOnMars View Post
Do those stats of death include information on the prior health of the individual that died? Rather, how healthy were they before they contracted the virus? This is what I find being left out of information. There's no way of knowing if these patients were healthy and strong or if they had some underlying condition. These articles continually leave out that type of information and I find that very suspicious.
The CDC and other places get that info. Local officials have little reason to show it to a public that would misuse it to downplay the virus and basically write off the pandemic as only a threat to unhealthy people (who actually probably are about 30% of adults) and also ignore the threat of Long-Covid to just about everyone.

Old 08-04-2022, 02:35 PM

Quote:
The CDC and other places get that info. Local officials have little reason to show it to a public that would misuse it to downplay the virus and basically write off the pandemic as only a threat to unhealthy people (who actually probably are about 30% of adults) and also ignore the threat of Long-Covid to just about everyone.
I don't think you give humans enough credit gh. You seem to think it's okay to omit vital information that would be beneficial to someone who could be exposed to the virus and yet may not contract it. Instead, you want us to be dumbed down so we'll take an injection of a formula that has potential side effects far worse than long covid symptoms. Not only that hiding said drug information for 75 years?

Does this even make sense to you? Can't you see how dangerous and deceptive this sort of behavior is? I'm not a stupid person and neither are you. Neither are many of the people who come to these threads and post comments. We're all capable of using our brains to discern information but when we aren't given everything we need to make that decision, it can be very dangerous to our personal health. I'm not a fan of big pharma. I've seen too many of their creations do irreparable damage to the human body. You think I'm going to trust a vaccine that doesn't really stop you from getting the virus? As a matter of fact, they shouldn't even be calling it a vaccine because it doesn't do what a vaccine is supposed to do.

From the Oxford Dictionary:

Quote:
a substance used to stimulate the production of antibodies and provide immunity against one or several diseases, prepared from the causative agent of a disease, its products, or a synthetic substitute, treated to act as an antigen without inducing the disease.

Old 08-04-2022, 03:00 PM

382 posts, read 179,624 times
Quote:

Accuses me of deliberately spinning things for an agenda, and then promotes an agenda with obvious lies, like Long-Covid being rare.
Smack your head all you want, but it's as rare as pneumonia in the summer.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Closed Thread

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > California