Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > California
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 03-22-2014, 01:31 PM

96 posts, read 205,940 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tulemutt View Post
Been reading a number of your posts bashing California and revealing the superiority of Florida. Good for you, man.

So here's what I'm wondering - how many Californians do you think Florida can hold? And how soon can we get 10 or 20 million or so over to you?
Anyone who thinks Florida is superior to California is in La-la land.

I own property in Florida, and the weather tends to be ok (so much better than NJ), but it does not even come close to the ecological diversity and beauty of California. And then there's hollywood

Florida has nutballs like Zimmerman and that guy who blew away another movie-goer cuz he was texting his daughter...please...
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 03-22-2014, 05:53 PM

6,675 posts, read 4,297,807 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by nslander View Post
When was the last time the leg did that?
How about last year under prop 30? Yes, I know that the people voted it in, but the legislature was behind it.

How about the 10% increase in gas tax by the California board of equalization on July 1st last year?

Last edited by Mike930; 03-22-2014 at 06:02 PM..

Old 03-22-2014, 08:28 PM

4,156 posts, read 5,577,660 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mike930 View Post
How about last year under prop 30? Yes, I know that the people voted it in, but the legislature was behind it.

How about the 10% increase in gas tax by the California board of equalization on July 1st last year?
Neither of those are by the legislature. Prop 30 was entirely an expression of the people. A wise choice, but you can't either blame or credit the CA Assembly or Senate for that decision.

My point is the overwhelming, and I mean OVERWHELMING percentage of people expressing any opinion on this subject take it as an article of political faith the CA legislature increases taxes on a near daily basis. One would think relevant example would be abundant. But such is the state of American engagement in politics, especially at the state level. To those who choose to filter out the noise that purposefully creates this confusion (and whom often get castigated for doing so) it's frustrating to say the least.

Old 03-22-2014, 09:00 PM

4,088 posts, read 4,397,928 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by USDefault View Post
And undoubtedly this quarter-million loss of persons were young adults and young families, i.e. upwardly mobile taxpayers. When you look at the massive financial advantages offered by low-tax, low-fee, low cost-of-living states, it is a fiscal and financial no-brainer. Moving out of California is a very wise move for middle and upper-middle class Californians.

This also corresponds with many businesses leaving California as well. The exodus will continue.
California netted +58,000 jobs in Feb, one-third of the nation's total:

LA Times

Good thing for Texas Perry is visiting again- maybe he can pick up some pointers.

Old 03-22-2014, 09:10 PM

9,891 posts, read 11,806,083 times
Quote:
California's comeback is nearing completion, the jobs report for February confirms it. Nearly 1/3 of all the jobs created in the US came from came from the Golden State--58,800 jobs. Even better news: most of those jobs came from the hard hit Southern California region. The Los Angeles MSA in particular had a monster month, adding more nonfarm jobs (36,100) than the entire state of Texas (33,900).
Smoke and mirrors to make Obama look good. Truth is that the vast majority were only part time jobs. On top of that a large portion of those, were in the hospitality industry.

77 percent of 2013 jobs were part-time positions - Washington Times

Old 03-22-2014, 09:18 PM

4,156 posts, read 5,577,660 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by oldtrader View Post
Smoke and mirrors to make Obama look good. Truth is that the vast majority were only part time jobs. On top of that a large portion of those, were in the hospitality industry.

77 percent of 2013 jobs were part-time positions - Washington Times
That data has no value in comparing relative job creation among states and you know it. But you posted it anyway because your whole flipping identity is contingent on pushing your specific agenda of doom. There is data that is consistent with that agenda, but you are ideologically blinded from processing it effectively. Thanks for posting, I will return to ignoring you.

Old 03-23-2014, 01:34 AM

224 posts, read 322,449 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Tulemutt View Post
Been reading a number of your posts bashing California and revealing the superiority of Florida. Good for you, man.

So here's what I'm wondering - how many Californians do you think Florida can hold? And how soon can we get 10 or 20 million or so over to you?
we're only interested in pensioners, the affluent, skilled workers, etc.

send your rejects back to where they came from.

Old 03-23-2014, 01:49 AM

224 posts, read 322,449 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by somersetguy View Post
Anyone who thinks Florida is superior to California is in La-la land.

I own property in Florida, and the weather tends to be ok (so much better than NJ), but it does not even come close to the ecological diversity and beauty of California. And then there's hollywood

Florida has nutballs like Zimmerman and that guy who blew away another movie-goer cuz he was texting his daughter...please...
wtf are you talking about? the everglades, florida keys, the entire coastline, pristine beaches, the huge assortment of wildlife, the spectacular flora/fauna, lush vegitation, etc., florida is home to some of the most gorgeous natural beauty in the world.

california has a coastline and polluted beaches. aside from big sur, nothing special. socal is a gigantic desert without a drop of water or natural beauty.

lmfao @ using hollywood as an argument. you mean the industry that has declined like 50% in the past three years? or are you aruging about the actual district? that's akin to saying "yeah, but we have disneyland!!11ONE" when the average person goes there like once every 25 years. it's a ****ty place to live, regardless.

Old 03-23-2014, 01:52 AM

8 posts, read 14,336 times
Another middle-class family thinking strongly of leaving CA where I was born and raised.

Old 03-23-2014, 03:35 AM

6,675 posts, read 4,297,807 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by nslander View Post
Neither of those are by the legislature. Prop 30 was entirely an expression of the people. A wise choice, but you can't either blame or credit the CA Assembly or Senate for that decision.

My point is the overwhelming, and I mean OVERWHELMING percentage of people expressing any opinion on this subject take it as an article of political faith the CA legislature increases taxes on a near daily basis. One would think relevant example would be abundant. But such is the state of American engagement in politics, especially at the state level. To those who choose to filter out the noise that purposefully creates this confusion (and whom often get castigated for doing so) it's frustrating to say the least.
It's fairly naive to think prop 30 was "an expression of the people". Good ol' Moonbeam was constantly banging the drum of bankruptcy if it failed. They were behind the whole thing and the voting public bought their nonsense.

While I don't think they raise taxes on a daily basis, I have no doubt they would if they could. They have no sense of fiscal responsibility and want to squeeze whatever they can for their pet projects.

Look at that stupid train that they call the Browndoggle. Really? A bullet train from Fresno to Madera??? Now THERE'S a great idea .

It's pathetic that we are the second highest taxed state in the nation.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2022 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > California