Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Massachusetts > Boston
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 10-04-2021, 10:21 AM

21,628 posts, read 12,733,519 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by WestieWhitie View Post
Why does the color of her skin matter more than her policies? Do you really hate them whities so much you'd rather vote for a candidate whose policies will have you gentrified out in no time at all just because she's not visibly white?
It doesn’t. Just asking.

It matters to me she’s trying to play the POC card for votes though- it feels exploitative and dishonest.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 10-04-2021, 10:24 AM

2,066 posts, read 1,071,348 times
She has African roots thus she's just as much african-american as our current acting (up) mayor. Also, is it ok to play the "vote for me because I'm black" card only if you are very visibly black?

Quote:
Originally Posted by BostonBornMassMade View Post
It doesn’t. Just asking.

It matters to me she’s trying to play the POC card for votes though- it feels exploitative and dishonest.

Old 10-04-2021, 10:25 AM

2,279 posts, read 1,340,535 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Space_League View Post
Well then it becomes a religious intolerance and not a racial one. If some Chechen family moved to the same town they would face the same kind of issues. In Russia they might not be white but they are caucasian slavic people and definitely white by US standards.
POC is just a code word for "non-European-descent white".
It's a fact that you can be white and POC. Like white Latinos.

Imagine 2 families from Italy, one immigrates to the US, the other one immigrates to Argentina. They have kids born in the Americas and the ones born in Argentina end up moving to the US.

They are all 100% Italian descent but today in the US the one born in the US would be considered white, the one born in Argentina would be considered a POC or minority, call it what you want.
For instance there were a ton of articles about how whites are no longer the largest group in CA, but this is only true as long as you call white Latinos non-white. CA is over 70% white if you just look at the race question.

Based on this MENA people have every right to consider themselves POC. It isn't just about race. There are a lot of layers of complexity.

Old 10-04-2021, 10:43 AM

Quote:
She has African roots thus she's just as much african-american as our current acting (up) mayor. Also, is it ok to play the "vote for me because I'm black" card only if you are very visibly black?
To the bolded.
You need a timeout.

To the unbolded.
Yes, a resounding hell yes. Luckily she's never said she was black lol. Being in Africa doesn't make you black.

Old 10-04-2021, 10:51 AM

Interesting...

What about Shaun King, is he black?

Quote:
To the bolded.
You need a timeout.

To the unbolded.
Yes, a resounding hell yes. Luckily she's never said she was black lol. Being in Africa doesn't make you black.

Old 10-04-2021, 10:58 AM

Quote:
Interesting...

What about Shaun King, is he black?
Lol hey ..that's a good question. +1

He does good work but I see a lot of black people hating on him saying he isn't black. They might be right I dunno lol

Old 10-04-2021, 11:06 AM

Wait, so you can be white yet you're black, but you can also be black yet you're white? Who's the official blackness determination authority? Holy sh*t this is confusing!

Also you do realize he's simply robbing his followers blind while kicking and screaming at evil whitie to keep that cash pouring in, right? Similar to what many other self-proclaimed and oftentimes elected "black leaders" do, as a matter of fact, but I guess that is just perfectly acceptable collateral damage as long as you keep bashing whitie.

Quote:

He does good work but I see a lot of black people hating on him saying he isn't black. They might be right I dunno lol

Old 10-04-2021, 11:11 AM

2,364 posts, read 1,851,841 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Lampert View Post
POC is just a code word for "non-European-descent white".
It's a fact that you can be white and POC. Like white Latinos.

Imagine 2 families from Italy, one immigrates to the US, the other one immigrates to Argentina. They have kids born in the Americas and the ones born in Argentina end up moving to the US.

They are all 100% Italian descent but today in the US the one born in the US would be considered white, the one born in Argentina would be considered a POC or minority, call it what you want.
For instance there were a ton of articles about how whites are no longer the largest group in CA, but this is only true as long as you call white Latinos non-white. CA is over 70% white if you just look at the race question.

Based on this MENA people have every right to consider themselves POC. It isn't just about race. There are a lot of layers of complexity.
Already said I'm in no position to tell her she can't call themselves POC. I would call both people in your example white but not gonna fault them for saying otherwise (though I have Italian relatives who might). There is a decent amount of overlap between people in Tunisia and Corsica, Sicily, Italians who live closer to Tunis than to Rome.

Quote:

This is the weirdest example to me just cause of how the whole thing relies on his mom having an affair and the wrong dad put on the birth certificate etc. That makes it more cringey because he's basically demanding the world acknowledges his mom's extramarital affair as a fundamental part of his identity.

Compared to say Logic who looks white but has a confirmed black dad it's still somewhat controversial but less easy pickings for black or white people who want to clown him compared to King.

Old 10-04-2021, 11:17 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Space_League View Post
Already said I'm in no position to tell her she can't call themselves POC. I would call both people in your example white but not gonna fault them for saying otherwise (though I have Italian relatives who might). There is a decent amount of overlap between people in Tunisia and Corsica, Sicily, Italians who live closer to Tunis than to Rome.

This is the weirdest example to me just cause of how the whole thing relies on his mom having an affair and the wrong dad put on the birth certificate etc. That makes it more cringey because he's basically demanding the world acknowledges his mom's extramarital affair as a fundamental part of his identity.

Compared to say Logic who looks white but has a confirmed black dad it's still somewhat controversial but less easy pickings for black or white people who want to clown him compared to King.
If he's actually black he's black and his moms extramarital affair does matter. But it also sounds like it could be a total lie.

Logic is just annoying because he raps so much about being mixed but its like bruh..we get it... and also you look like Jerry Seinfeld, so maybe just cool it? Logic doesn't have very many black fans for the aforementioned reasons and he's just kinda corny.

Whereas Joyner Lucas is mixed but looks black and never mentions it- because it speaks for itself (same with J. Cole). Joyner doesn't have a ton of black fans but way more than Logic. Mostly because he sort of carries himself like a 'traditional' black rapper.

Old 10-04-2021, 11:23 AM

What about Clarence Thomas, is he black?

Quote:
If he's actually black he's black and his moms extramarital affair does matter. But it also sounds like it could be a total lie.

Logic is just annoying because he raps so much about being mixed but its like bruh..we get it... and also you look like Jerry Seinfeld, so maybe just cool it? Logic doesn't have very many black fans for the aforementioned reasons and he's just kinda corny.

Whereas Joyner Lucas is mixed but looks black and never mentions it- because it speaks for itself (same with J. Cole). Joyner doesn't have a ton of black fans but way more than Logic. Mostly because he sort of carries himself like a 'traditional' black rapper.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Massachusetts > Boston