Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Massachusetts > Boston
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 10-04-2021, 11:31 AM

2,364 posts, read 1,851,841 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by BostonBornMassMade View Post
If he's actually black he's black and his moms extramarital affair does matter. But it also sounds like it could be a total lie.

Logic is just annoying because he raps so much about being mixed but its like bruh..we get it... and also you look like Jerry Seinfeld, so maybe just cool it? Logic doesn't have very many black fans for the aforementioned reasons and he's just kinda corny.

Whereas Joyner Lucas is mixed but looks black and never mentions it- because it speaks for itself (same with J. Cole). Joyner doesn't have a ton of black fans but way more than Logic. Mostly because he sort of carries himself like a 'traditional' black rapper.
Both King and Logic brings up this point of.. if no one can even tell that you're black and you have to go out of your way to prove it to people, than how much can it possibly have influenced your life? Not like some random redneck or a cop or leasing agent is gonna check someone's ancestory.com geneology before they decide to be racist or not... they're going to go off of the person's name and their immediate looks nothing more than that
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 10-04-2021, 12:37 PM

21,628 posts, read 12,733,519 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Space_League View Post
Both King and Logic brings up this point of.. if no one can even tell that you're black and you have to go out of your way to prove it to people, than how much can it possibly have influenced your life? Not like some random redneck or a cop or leasing agent is gonna check someone's ancestory.com geneology before they decide to be racist or not... they're going to go off of the person's name and their immediate looks nothing more than that
Right- which is my point with Annissa Essaibi-George. Her name is a little foreign but it just sounds foreign, kinda European, doesn't sound "Arab" to me. And She looks like a regular degular white woman with a tan-maybe an Italian or a Greek. And then to add to this she has adapted into a white cultural space in terms of her accent, her neighborhood, her voting base and even her family of choice. All of those things sort of add up. She's got a white identity that preodminates and trumps anything POC. And it really is lame and dishonest of her to run with that out there front and center. But to be fair I think the media touts it more than she does. Annissa is a lot of things but I dont think she's delusional or that tone-deaf. (although she recently shot herself in the foot with the 'Im from here' comments)

She knows full well shes relying on her relatability to the most nativist whitest areas of Boston to get votes and she cant stray too far from that.

Old 10-04-2021, 01:08 PM

9,874 posts, read 7,202,378 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by BostonBornMassMade View Post
Semantics aside does anyone here think Anissa George isn’t white?-not just cuz she says so but your actual own opinion.
When she says "da teachah, da mothah, and da Mayah...", I can definitely tell she's white. I've never heard a person of color with that deep of a Boston accent.

Old 10-04-2021, 03:30 PM

5,094 posts, read 2,658,571 times
You might need to get out more.

Old 10-04-2021, 07:00 PM

2,279 posts, read 1,340,535 times
Quote:
Already said I'm in no position to tell her she can't call themselves POC. I would call both people in your example white but not gonna fault them for saying otherwise (though I have Italian relatives who might). There is a decent amount of overlap between people in Tunisia and Corsica, Sicily, Italians who live closer to Tunis than to Rome.
Is not just a matter of what they say, it's a matter of what society says.
There are dozens of articles that labelled white latinos as POC. All the articles about CA and 2020 census in fact.
It's the consensus that if you are latino you are basically not white, regardless of your actual race.
It's not clear to me why it should be different for MENAs when in reality latinos are not only white but also have a massive European influence (southern Europeans are much more similar to latinos culturally than to americans from the US) while MENAs may be white but definitely have a much smaller European influence.
The only reason being a latinos is a thing but being a MENAs is not is because in the US there are very few MENAs and that question never really came up.

Old 10-04-2021, 07:37 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Lampert View Post
Is not just a matter of what they say, it's a matter of what society says.
There are dozens of articles that labelled white latinos as POC. All the articles about CA and 2020 census in fact.
It's the consensus that if you are latino you are basically not white, regardless of your actual race.
It's not clear to me why it should be different for MENAs when in reality latinos are not only white but also have a massive European influence (southern Europeans are much more similar to latinos culturally than to americans from the US) while MENAs may be white but definitely have a much smaller European influence.
The only reason being a latinos is a thing but being a MENAs is not is because in the US there are very few MENAs and that question never really came up.
I agree with that part when it comes to white latinos but I'm not familiar with that consensus at all. They are white and listed as white in the census as well as hispanic if they are. I don't see a difference with white MENA. I don't know anything about those articles, maybe they are fear-mongering about "white extinction" (usually these types also have rigid narrow views of what's considered white) or celebrating some increase in an arbitrary measure of diversity for its own sake.

The example of white people moving from Europe to Latin America, having white kids then moving to the USA and becoming people of colour still makes no sense to me. Wouldn't that logic make Elon Musk a person of colour moving to the states from ZA ?

Old 10-04-2021, 09:53 PM

Quote:
I don't know anything about those articles, maybe they are fear-mongering about "white extinction" (usually these types also have rigid narrow views of what's considered white) or celebrating some increase in an arbitrary measure of diversity for its own sake.
I am not talking about some fringe right-wing or ultra progressive news sites

ABC
Quote:
Hispanics passed whites in California in 2015 as the state's largest ethnic group.
https://www.abc10.com/article/news/p...5-3fd3da948dda

CNN
Quote:
In California, the Hispanic or Latino population officially became the largest racial or ethnic group in the state for the first time.
https://www.cnn.com/2021/08/12/polit...ata/index.html

LA Times
Quote:
The census reported that Latinos are the largest ethnic group in California, accounting for nearly 4 in 10 residents.
https://www.latimes.com/politics/sto...-redistricting

FoxNews
Quote:
Hispanic people made up the second-largest ethnic group in many counties across the country,
https://www.foxnews.com/politics/us-...de-census-data

The concept of "white" is dying to be replaced by the concept of "non-Hispanic white". Basically certifying that your skin color isn't enough to make you white (or black).

Quote:
The example of white people moving from Europe to Latin America, having white kids then moving to the USA and becoming people of colour still makes no sense to me. Wouldn't that logic make Elon Musk a person of colour moving to the states from ZA ?
Elon Musk is the equivalent of an Australian. He is of north-western European descent and doesn't really show any African heritage whatsoever, his first language is English he grew up in the most segragated (at the time) country in the world. By US standard Elon Musk is much more white than Greek, let alone a Tunisian or a Latino.
South America was never segregated in the same way the English world was, most people are of some mix race. MENA is a completely different story and has nothing to do with Europeans at all.

Old 10-05-2021, 04:30 AM

5,094 posts, read 2,658,571 times
The census is what continues to drives these labels. Race is a social construct and classification system of anthropology which has basically become meaningless outside the census and those who trade in obsessively differentiating people from one another based solely on skin tone. And there is certainly no shortage of them on this board.

Old 10-05-2021, 05:36 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Lampert View Post
The concept of "white" is dying to be replaced by the concept of "non-Hispanic white". Basically certifying that your skin color isn't enough to make you white (or black).

Elon Musk is the equivalent of an Australian. He is of north-western European descent and doesn't really show any African heritage whatsoever, his first language is English he grew up in the most segragated (at the time) country in the world. By US standard Elon Musk is much more white than Greek, let alone a Tunisian or a Latino.
South America was never segregated in the same way the English world was, most people are of some mix race. MENA is a completely different story and has nothing to do with Europeans at all.
You're bringing it back to looks when before you said it doesn't have to do with skin colour. If you move from Italy to Argentina to California that doesn't change your skin colour.

As far as South America vs the States and segregation, I feel like the point of the game is to box in an ever shrinking category of WASP, Germanic, Nordic, Irish type Americans and to either blame them for the entire world's problems or consider them the only people responsible for holding society together.

The more we chip away at what is considered white, the easier it becomes to resent people left in that box and easier it is for others to blame them and take action against. Basically if you are white the idea is you already got the benefits of it to the extent that you got any, and now it's almost become a liability.

So the Hispanic whites, MENA whites get to cheat at the dumb divisive politics game because the were still light skinned slavers and colonizers and empire builders(dark skinned ones and recent immigrants aleady got to cheat) but they also get to cash in again as a marginalized group. Man that's double dipping.

Old 10-05-2021, 07:14 AM

Quote:
You're bringing it back to looks when before you said it doesn't have to do with skin colour. If you move from Italy to Argentina to California that doesn't change your skin colour.

As far as South America vs the States and segregation, I feel like the point of the game is to box in an ever shrinking category of WASP, Germanic, Nordic, Irish type Americans and to either blame them for the entire world's problems or consider them the only people responsible for holding society together.

The more we chip away at what is considered white, the easier it becomes to resent people left in that box and easier it is for others to blame them and take action against. Basically if you are white the idea is you already got the benefits of it to the extent that you got any, and now it's almost become a liability.

So the Hispanic whites, MENA whites get to cheat at the dumb divisive politics game because the were still light skinned slavers and colonizers and empire builders(dark skinned ones and recent immigrants aleady got to cheat) but they also get to cash in again as a marginalized group. Man that's double dipping.
I am not bringing it back to looks. I am saying the exact opposite. I am saying that being white isn't just about your skin color in the US.

That's' why I said, well then just stop race altogether and make it about ethnicity. Or something else more meaningful. The current concept of race in the US developed when not only there were just 2 groups but also these groups were pretty homogeneous inside; the US have changed enormously since that time.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Massachusetts > Boston