Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Massachusetts > Boston
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 09-24-2021, 11:12 AM

5,037 posts, read 6,920,241 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by timberline742 View Post
Ah, so have government not listen to their constituents and people living in their communities and instead dictate centrally planned policies that they say are better for the greater good, all while creating even larger nest egg profits for the already incredibly rich.

The irony is dark.
How is that ironic? The question was "what should Boston do if it wants to lower rents". Boston will do whatever the community votes to do, bound by the laws of the state and the country. If someone asked me how to lose weight, I'd say "eat less and exercise more". I wouldn't expect them to come back and tell me how rich it was that I was here trying to control what they ate and how they spent their time.

I'm sure if you asked ever renter in Boston (who make a majority of voters) if they'd like to pay no rent ever, they'd answer enthusiastically "yes!". I don't think that makes abolishing rent entirely a realistic (or even legal) long-term plan for the city.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 09-24-2021, 11:13 AM

2,066 posts, read 1,071,035 times
Howdy neighbor! I don't like the color of your car, better have it re-painted or I'll have it crushed! I don't like the size of your dog, better get a bigger one or I'll have it euthanized! I don't like your jeans, better wear shorts or I'll have you placed under house arrest!

Sounds pretty absurd, doesn't it? And if it does why should you, some clown three blocks down from me, be able to tell me what I can and cannot build on my property?

Quote:
Ah, so have government not listen to their constituents and people living in their communities and instead dictate centrally planned policies that they say are better for the greater good, all while creating even larger nest egg profits for the already incredibly rich.

The irony is dark.

Old 09-24-2021, 11:17 AM

21,628 posts, read 12,727,444 times
Kim Janey being called a "black power" mayor over Andrea Campbell? Wow.

Old 09-24-2021, 11:19 AM

266 posts, read 235,711 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by jayrandom View Post
How is that ironic? The question was "what should Boston do if it wants to lower rents". Boston will do whatever the community votes to do, bound by the laws of the state and the country. If someone asked me how to lose weight, I'd say "eat less and exercise more". I wouldn't expect them to come back and tell me how rich it was that I was here trying to control what they ate and how they spent their time.

I'm sure if you asked ever renter in Boston (who make a majority of voters) if they'd like to pay no rent ever, they'd answer enthusiastically "yes!". I don't think that makes abolishing rent entirely a realistic (or even legal) long-term plan for the city.
Voting doesn’t matter really. The People voted Trump in but then there was so much fraud it didn’t count. Plus whole bureaucracy was working to stop Trump and the people’s will.

Old 09-24-2021, 11:20 AM

41,937 posts, read 36,940,305 times
Quote:
How is that ironic? .
The irony is that he was just railing against Mao/Communism, and then went to promote a centrally planned "for the betterment of society" and not listening to constituents policy making process.

Quote:
Originally Posted by WestieWhitie View Post
Howdy neighbor! I don't like the color of your car, better have it re-painted or I'll have it crushed! I don't like the size of your dog, better get a bigger one or I'll have it euthanized! I don't like your jeans, better wear shorts or I'll have you placed under house arrest!

Sounds pretty absurd, doesn't it? And if it does why should you, some clown three blocks down from me, be able to tell me what I can and cannot build on my property?
Doesn't sound absurd if I bought in a HOA that has such rules.

Just like what I can do with my property, or not, isn't absurd if I bought in a place with zoning.

I, personally, realize that private property rights aren't absolute. I can't install a nuclear reactor in my condo, or operate a commercial machine shop or night club in my garage. What I do impacts others.

Old 09-24-2021, 11:21 AM

Fair enough. In other news tinfoil is buy one, get one free at Walgreens right now!

Quote:
Originally Posted by thebruiser500 View Post
Voting doesn’t matter really. The People voted Trump in but then there was so much fraud it didn’t count. Plus whole bureaucracy was working to stop Trump and the people’s will.

Old 09-24-2021, 11:31 AM

5,037 posts, read 6,920,241 times
Quote:
The irony is that he was just railing against Mao/Communism, and then went to promote a centrally planned "for the betterment of society" and not listening to constituents policy making process.
Mao and Stalin both acted in the name of the people at the expense of the individual. I think if someone says, "don't do this popular thing because it's communist and it won't work, do this other thing that is decidedly un-communist and will work" that's not ironic.

I think someone should be able to answer a question about "what should be done" without then being accused of being a megalomaniacal dictator for offering advice on what they think should be done.

Old 09-24-2021, 11:37 AM

41,937 posts, read 36,940,305 times
Quote:
Mao and Stalin both acted in the name of the people at the expense of the individual. I think if someone says, "don't do this popular thing because it's communist and it won't work, do this other thing that is decidedly un-communist and will work" that's not ironic.

I think someone should be able to answer a question about "what should be done" without then being accused of being a megalomaniacal dictator for offering advice on what they think should be done.

He called Wu, Comrade Wu and a Maoist. Then he , in short, proposed what he was railing against (ignoring the individual(s) for what he claims is best for society), just benefitting another party. Same game. That's the irony, he is effectively proposing what said he is opposing.

Perhaps you don't see it that way. That's fine. While I don't like NIMBYism a lot of the time, I think leadership should respect the wishes of what people in a community wish to see their neighborhoods look like. I've lived in places where there was no or minimal zoning. It rarely ends well, and it would be horrific in a dense place like coastal New England.

Old 09-24-2021, 11:40 AM

Centrally planned? Comrade, what's centrally planned about removing the red tape and letting people do as they please with their property, as long as it's within reason? And no, I'm not talking about a nuclear power plant, I'm talking about a NIMBY herd not letting me raze a decrepit two car garage built in 1960 on a double lot and replace it with a six unit condo building because mah historic garage!

I have this funny feeling you're actually a slumlord masquerading as "progressive" salivating over the possibility of Wu's East SF social experiment driving your property values into stratosphere. Either that or you work for Comrade chairWuman.

Quote:

Doesn't sound absurd if I bought in a HOA that has such rules.

Just like what I can do with my property, or not, isn't absurd if I bought in a place with zoning.

I, personally, realize that private property rights aren't absolute. I can't install a nuclear reactor in my condo, or operate a commercial machine shop or night club in my garage. What I do impacts others.

Old 09-24-2021, 11:43 AM

23,571 posts, read 18,678,020 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by id77 View Post
What would be your solution to the problem? Lower density housing (triple-deckers and brownstones), as you already said, would only be replaced by luxury towers. You want examples of new construction? Have you looked at Seaport or Inkblock or Fenway/Longwood? TONS of new construction. Did it help housing costs? Nope. Heck, they've been building up around T stations too -- Alewife, Forest Hills, even in JP. Lots of new, denser mid-rises. Did those help housing costs? Nope.

Where do you get that it didn't help housing costs, or that things wouldn't be significantly worse had it not been for this development? Increased inventory = lower prices, even if it's "luxury units" being built. This forum always has a hard time understanding that.

Quote:
Originally Posted by id77 View Post
How do you create housing affordable to the masses in a land area (be it SF or Boston) where the land values and demand are so high that there's a line of people happy to make 7 figure offers on housing?

The problem isn't really the city, it's the suburbs. Boston can't do it all on its own, when it makes up but a tiny fraction of the metro's land area. Boston had a dearth of residential development until rent control was abolished and it took years to recover. We are perhaps still seeing negative effects of it, such as deferred property maintenance. But of course those of us from the area understand this, and how the 80s/much of the 90s are not a road we want to go back down again.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Massachusetts > Boston