Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Massachusetts > Boston
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 09-21-2021, 05:03 PM

21,628 posts, read 12,746,938 times

Advertisements

Another relevant comment I saw in the Globe

NativeBos
9/21/21 - 6:32PM
How could White progressives bail on Janey when they were never in her camp to begin with? Campbell likely had more White progressive backing than Janey did.
But both had the burden of being Boston born and bred. Whereas White progressives are a very transient bunch. They live here, but are not of here. Even Campbell's impeccable ivy league credentials couldn't win their support. Too Boston for them.
Wu is (almost) like them. Ticks all the boxes. A female, ivy league minority who is a transplant like them.
Perhaps White progressives are not a reliable path for Black political power.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 09-21-2021, 07:58 PM

3,973 posts, read 5,766,948 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by BostonBornMassMade View Post
Another relevant comment I saw in the Globe

NativeBos
How could White progressives bail on Janey when they were never in her camp to begin with? Campbell likely had more White progressive backing than Janey did.
But both had the burden of being Boston born and bred. Whereas White progressives are a very transient bunch. They live here, but are not of here. Even Campbell's impeccable ivy league credentials couldn't win their support. Too Boston for them.
Wu is (almost) like them. Ticks all the boxes. A female, ivy league minority who is a transplant like them.

Of course not. The neighborhoods who have seen the least positive change for longtime locals happen to be the working class neighborhoods such as Dorchester and Roxbury. Many of the changes benefited newcomers more than longtime residents. Those progressive newcomers of course are not going to support individuals whom they think will return the neighborhood back to yesteryear even if it is untrue. A few are tacitly racist too, they just don't show it openly. Still, race politics aside, I think it is an example of the broader paradigm that progressive newcomers don't want to support longtime Bostonians. Former Mayor Kevin White's daughter (I forgot her name) ran a few elections ago and came nowhere close to winning. Even at her relatively young age, she was far too old school Bostonian to garner much interest. Case in point, I've attended town meetings in places like Chelmsford and Pepperell, MA where residents give shouting matches with statements like "I was born and raised here" or "I was a resident of this town for 20 years!" as if to show that residential longevity is the ticket to political power. Not so anymore in Boston. You could be the newest kid on the block and still win an election if you could convince voters to vote for you.

Old 09-21-2021, 08:01 PM

6,806 posts, read 6,036,414 times
Quote:
NativeBos
But both had the burden of being Boston born and bred. Whereas White progressives are a very transient bunch. They live here, but are not of here.
Hate to break it to you and that commenter, but there have been white progressives in Boston for literally hundreds of years.

Old 09-21-2021, 08:07 PM

5,096 posts, read 2,661,482 times
But not in anywhere near the numbers as today, nor were they of the same social classes as are today. Different animal so to speak and much different attitudes and values. The Marxist strand remains though, but it's been interspersed into a weird corporate mix demographic.

Old 09-21-2021, 08:22 PM

3,973 posts, read 5,766,948 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Boston Shudra View Post
Hate to break it to you and that commenter, but there have been white progressives in Boston for literally hundreds of years.

The type and level of progressiveness has changed over the years. Just like how others corrected me here in CDF about modern day Bostonian Puritanism, the scope and depth of the progressives of the 19th and 20th century cannot be compared to now. For good or bad, we are in a new phase of progressiveness right now.

Old 09-22-2021, 09:55 AM

23,540 posts, read 18,687,760 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Urban Peasant View Post
Of course not. The neighborhoods who have seen the least positive change for longtime locals happen to be the working class neighborhoods such as Dorchester and Roxbury. Many of the changes benefited newcomers more than longtime residents. Those progressive newcomers of course are not going to support individuals whom they think will return the neighborhood back to yesteryear even if it is untrue. A few are tacitly racist too, they just don't show it openly. Still, race politics aside, I think it is an example of the broader paradigm that progressive newcomers don't want to support longtime Bostonians. Former Mayor Kevin White's daughter (I forgot her name) ran a few elections ago and came nowhere close to winning. Even at her relatively young age, she was far too old school Bostonian to garner much interest. Case in point, I've attended town meetings in places like Chelmsford and Pepperell, MA where residents give shouting matches with statements like "I was born and raised here" or "I was a resident of this town for 20 years!" as if to show that residential longevity is the ticket to political power. Not so anymore in Boston. You could be the newest kid on the block and still win an election if you could convince voters to vote for you.

The thing about these white progressive transplants is they are often singles/DINKS or they wouldn't dream of sending their kids to the BPS. They usually aren't affected by crime so much. They are far more passionate about new bike lands and plastic bag bans, than fixing the schools or putting more cops on the street.

Old 09-22-2021, 11:39 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Urban Peasant View Post
"happen to be"??

Old 09-22-2021, 11:43 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Boston Shudra View Post
Cool story, your point is? Seriously...what is your point? That's a random and unrelated response to what he said.

And for hundred of years they've never elected a black mayor. Hate to break that to you.

1983, 1993, 2013, 2017, 2021. Never works.

You cannot get the majority of the white voter to vote for mayor of Boston if you are black. Then add in a black political class so hungry for power that they split the black vote. Most black voters realize this and are apathetic. This is the reason Janey cited for not running for mayor intially, she said she didnt think it was possible.

White Bostonians have never once voted 50% or more for a black candidate (or any collection of black candidates).

^Objectively, this is a fact until proven otherwise.

Old 09-22-2021, 11:45 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by massnative71 View Post
The thing about these white progressive transplants is they are often singles/DINKS or they wouldn't dream of sending their kids to the BPS. They usually aren't affected by crime so much. They are far more passionate about new bike lands and plastic bag bans, than fixing the schools or putting more cops on the street.
This. They also really don't know the history of Boston or the Black native population well enough to care about either. This goes for suburban white people who move into Boston as well.

Old 09-22-2021, 12:06 PM

2,364 posts, read 1,853,038 times
Quote:

people who hate themselves make for terrible allies. On the other end of the spectrum you have folks who think they are better than everyone else and love to show you just why that is the case. Boston politics includes an unfortunate amount of both.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Massachusetts > Boston