Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Massachusetts > Boston
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 04-18-2023, 07:38 AM

12,807 posts, read 9,532,543 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by NOVA_guy View Post
True. Honestly, as someone who grew up on the east coast, all I knew about Texas is the stereotypes - everyone walks around in cowboy boots, not very progressive or educated, a place where people have extreme bias, etc. Then I visited Dallas for work and I realized most of the people I encountered were nice. People actually said hello and waved, they actually hold the door for you when they see you coming, etc. Would I ever live in Texas? NO but what you realize is that stereotypes aren't based on anything real or anything tangible and they very rarely encompass a full holistic experience.

I haven't been to Boston in years but I've heard the stories or even read things online that's gone viral... I mean, no specific area has ownership of intolerance or racism. I do think some areas or places are worse than others however that's another conversation but ultimately people are going to be people, no matter where you live.
The politeness to strangers thing is a southern stereotype that seems to be true.

I heard horrible things about Boston but each of my visits, the people have been warm for the most part. And I'm a POC
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 04-19-2023, 06:42 AM

12,157 posts, read 7,980,515 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Gaylord_Focker View Post
The politeness to strangers thing is a southern stereotype that seems to be true.

I heard horrible things about Boston but each of my visits, the people have been warm for the most part. And I'm a POC
I was just in RI and MA and people were super conversational and friendly. And i was in a group of 3/5 POC.. and wearing Yankees stuff.

The whole 'Northeast is rude' is so overblown. People will be people.

Old 04-19-2023, 07:24 AM

372 posts, read 203,090 times
Living in the Midwest, I seldom hear anyone even speak of Boston. I know people who go there on business, or to visit relatives. Otherwise, it doesn't seem to be on most people's radar. Kind of like Midwest cities aren't on the radar of those who live in Boston...

Old 04-19-2023, 07:52 PM

35,057 posts, read 31,258,424 times
I'm from Tennessee and did a lot of business work in metro Boston. I was there for one out of every four weeks for the better part of four years, with some longer stays in there.

I didn't get the racism thing at all. It's not entrenched like the Deep South.

When I had the job with the Boston business travel, I was living in Indianapolis. The things I saw in Indiana were far more racist than Boston or even the Deep South.

Old 04-20-2023, 11:30 AM

21,628 posts, read 12,718,846 times
Massachusetts and Maryland are the only states to ever elect a Black Attorney General AND Governor.

Massachusetts is the only one to do those things and has a black chief justice.

Massachusetts has the lowest black incarceration rate in US. 1/3rd the national average.

Old 04-21-2023, 07:51 PM

106 posts, read 60,579 times
44 pages and no one dares to admit that there's a problem ...

Old 04-23-2023, 07:20 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bowery View Post
44 pages and no one dares to admit that there's a problem ...
This can be taken like 5 ways.

Problem as in, Boston is the most racist city in the world?
Problem as in, everyone is wrong, Boston is racist?
Problem as in, perception is bad, Boston is not racist?
Problem as in, perception is poor, every city is racist and Boston gets an unfair spotlight to this?

What exactly are you insinuating.

Old 04-23-2023, 07:21 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Space_League View Post
Philly is interesting because they have a lot of pride but not to the point of looking down at other cities besides Pittsburgh. They have the ego but still see themselves as the underdog whereas Boston and obviously NYC don't see themselves that way
Yeah Philadelphia native are humble. Humble like that ^ Not erroneously close minded.

Old 04-23-2023, 09:18 AM

1,886 posts, read 1,439,991 times
Even with that stigma, has it taken a hit to Boston's reputation? No. Boston is has a positive reputation for the most part with the exception of a few jokes in movies and TV shows.

Old 04-24-2023, 07:32 PM

6,639 posts, read 4,567,370 times
^ the region loses money on conferences and festivals ... becuz the organizers assume that there will be problems or it wont be entertaining.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Massachusetts > Boston