Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Massachusetts > Boston
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 05-04-2023, 02:29 PM

21,698 posts, read 12,836,228 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by QCongress83216 View Post
But, Boston still has a very good reputation nationally and internationally in spite of the stigma. That hasn't taken a hit to the city's reputation and significance. Correct me if I'm wrong.
Quote:
Originally Posted by BostonBornMassMade View Post
I disagree with your statement. Some individuals perceive Boston to lack dynamism and to be more of a town, in part due to a perceived lack of diversity. In leads to negative assumptions about its vibrancy, cuisine, diversity, scale, culture, and more, many African Americans, in particular, feel this way. While Boston's reputation is positive, it could certainly be improved upon, as could its significance to non-white groups.

As Stanley stated- the city does lose out on some money and events due to the stigma attached to its name.
And the quote below just proved my point. This stereotype does in deed hurt its reputation.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mr. Clutch View Post
Agreed. No one in the south really thinks about Boston tbh - it's a completely different world. But anecdotally, the black people I know who aren't particularly fans of Boston dont dislike it due to racism, we just dislike it due to the fact that Boston kind of sucks by many of our standards. Cold, depressing winters, bland food, a rather "dry" populace, etc. That's not to say Boston doesn't have redeeming qualities (it does), but the average black person in the south doesn't dream of moving to Boston and many of us actually kind of dread the prospect. It's not about Boston being too white imo. Seattle, for example, is just as white and isn't seen in the same lens as Boston is. Boston just has a unique set of urban features that aren't that appealing to most of us. It is what it is.
Boston Food isn't bland, I mean from afar your perception of it is. But On the whole it's spicier (Carribean, African and Southeast Asian influence) and (a lot) more varied than the food I have in the South where the staples (besides a plethora of fast food chains and gas station chains- Cook Out, Rallys, Krispy Kreme, Krsytals, Zabys, Popeyes Hardees,/Carls Junior, Bojangles, Churchs, Raising Canes, Highs, Sheetz, Piggly Wiggly, ) is Barbecue, New American, Mexican, or Soul Food. As opposed to Italian, Chinese, Seafood, French, West Indian, and various Latin cuisines.

There is not really any food you can get in a southern city short of Cuban in Miami and Creole in NOLA that you cant access within 15 minutes of downtown Boston.

Also, is Seattle not Cold, with depressing winters, and a dry populace??? Is it warm and a party city and I'm missing something? At least Boston has a tun of Caribbean people- not exactly known to be dry.

Also as a city- speaking strictly as a city Boston is a lot less white than Seattle and a lot more black.

You can also come and enjoy the city in the summer when the beaches are open and its hot. People really arent aware of all the things that Boston has to offer..

This isn't a very good example because its negative. but its basically the best evidence I can provide that many many black people go to beaches in Boston and it's not dry nor is it cold when they do.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=QqWot14Br7g

Last edited by BostonBornMassMade; 05-04-2023 at 02:46 PM..
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 05-04-2023, 02:53 PM

119 posts, read 37,585 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mr. Clutch View Post
Agreed. No one in the south really thinks about Boston tbh - it's a completely different world. But anecdotally, the black people I know who aren't particularly fans of Boston dont dislike it due to racism, we just dislike it due to the fact that Boston kind of sucks by many of our standards. Cold, depressing winters, bland food, a rather "dry" populace, etc. That's not to say Boston doesn't have redeeming qualities (it does), but the average black person in the south doesn't dream of moving to Boston and many of us actually kind of dread the prospect. It's not about Boston being too white imo. Seattle, for example, is just as white and isn't seen in the same lens as Boston is. Boston just has a unique set of urban features that aren't that appealing to most of us. It is what it is.

Yeah, I'm calling BS on this one. It has everything to do with the racism and it being too white. No one is saying "F*** Boston" because it has cold, depressing winters, bland food, and a rather "dry populace" (whatever that means).

What is this magical quality that makes Seattle viewed through a different lens since it has nothing to do with racism and being too white?

BBMM, this thread is pointless bruh. All you're going to get is people who downplay Black Boston's contributions like RedlionJr or other snobby posters with their whole "no one thinks about Boston enough to even care about its racism stigma." Like why come into this thread just to mention that? If the city is irrelevant to you, then the thread should be as well. The random SNL skits, unprovoked tweets(you even got international cats joining in on the slander),etc....it's all in our head BBMM.

Old 05-04-2023, 02:58 PM

6,639 posts, read 4,583,148 times
@BostonBornMassMade , @908Boi

i follow black media online and havent heard about the n.y.c. subway murder.

its gotten to the point where in the news whenever there is a racist crime i think in my head dont be boston, dont be boston, dont be boston (similar to when there is a crime and the suspect happens to be black it reflects poorly on all of us even though i have nothing to do with it). other races and citys dont have to deal with that stress (except maybe florida-man).

Old 05-04-2023, 03:09 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by stanley-88888888 View Post
@BostonBornMassMade , @908Boi

i follow black media online and havent heard about the n.y.c. subway murder.

Nor have I. Nor do I expect to. If it happened in Boston they'd be covering it on ESPN, the Root, Complex, the Grio, Global Grind lol. It'd be an onslaught of negativity.

It seems all Boston posters- black (you, me, UE) white (, Mass, btownboss), and other (Shudra) are pretty much in agreement about most of this.

Old 05-04-2023, 03:11 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by upperechelon View Post
Yeah, I'm calling BS on this one. It has everything to do with the racism and it being too white. No one is saying "F*** Boston" because it has cold, depressing winters, bland food, and a rather "dry populace" (whatever that means).

What is this magical quality that makes Seattle viewed through a different lens since it has nothing to do with racism and being too white?

BBMM, this thread is pointless bruh. All you're going to get is people who downplay Black Boston's contributions like RedlionJr or other snobby posters with their whole "no one thinks about Boston enough to even care about its racism stigma." Like why come into this thread just to mention that? If the city is irrelevant to you, then the thread should be as well. The random SNL skits, unprovoked tweets(you even got international cats joining in on the slander),etc....it's all in our head BBMM.
Welcome back UE

To me, the issue is people will put in their 2 cents, right? And then when you reply with a logical explanation they go ghost or just yell at you.

I don't want to characterize anyone as a snob I don't really think RedLion is a snob (but I do remember his accusation that we were the same poster... because we were talking about Bostons Hip Hop history- I guess it's unbelievable two people would know about it? That was kind of insulting) but in my experience snobs or boujie types typically are the ones that think Boston is beneath then which really fuels further ignorance of the city.

Old 05-04-2023, 03:15 PM

6,818 posts, read 6,065,283 times
Quote:
Nor have I. Nor do I expect to. If it happened in Boston they'd be covering it on ESPN, the Root, Complex, the Grio, Global Grind lol. It'd be an onslaught of negativity.

It seems all Boston posters- black (you, me, UE) white (, Mass, btownboss), and other (Shudra) are pretty much in agreement about most of this.
Uhh, I’m very white. Almost 100% Irish

Old 05-04-2023, 03:18 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Boston Shudra View Post
Uhh, I’m very white. Almost 100% Irish
lol! I thought you told me you were Indian from Essex County. Maybe it was an autocorrect or my dyslexia or something lol.

Old 05-04-2023, 03:34 PM

Quote:
Welcome back UE

To me, the issue is people will put in their 2 cents, right? And then when you reply with a logical explanation they go ghost or just yell at you.

I don't want to characterize anyone as a snob I don't really think RedLion is a snob (but I do remember his accusation that we were the same poster... because we were talking about Bostons Hip Hop history- I guess it's unbelievable two people would know about it? That was kind of insulting) but in my experience snobs or boujie types typically are the ones that think Boston is beneath then which really fuels further ignorance of the city.

Par for the course when dealing with fixed mindsets.

I really don't take this s*** seriously because I don't see it in reality. Speaking of Boston Hip Hop, look how the rest of black America is receptive to Millyz. Like I told you before, they have more smoke for us than the people who are the source of their hatred for the city. But we already know the reasoning behind that.

Old 05-04-2023, 03:36 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by upperechelon View Post
Par for the course when dealing with fixed mindsets.

I really don't take this s*** seriously because I don't see it in reality. Speaking of Boston Hip Hop, look how the rest of black America is receptive to Millyz. Like I told you before, they have more smoke for us than the people who are the source of their hatred for the city. But we already know the reasoning behind that.
facts. Big facts actually. Millyz is so much more mediocre than so many other artists in this city. Although I appreciate he doesn't tag himself as being from Boston- because he's not.

It's weird though because he tries to put Black Boston rappers on- who he, and we, know who are better than him but they get no love.

Old 05-04-2023, 03:48 PM

Quote:
facts. Big facts actually. Millyz is so much more mediocre than so many other artists in this city. Although I appreciate he doesn't tag himself as being from Boston- because he's not.

It's weird though because he tries to put Black Boston rappers on- who he, and we, know who are better than him but they get no love.
Yeah, Millyz is cool. The hate is unwarranted. He could've easily went the Guru route and claimed NYC but he reps hard. I don't even care about Cambridge, but having him as the face of the Boston scene confirms what they think. The same sh** people like you and Dart Adams are trying to combat.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2022 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Massachusetts > Boston