Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Massachusetts > Boston
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 03-23-2023, 12:30 PM

7,740 posts, read 5,531,184 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Boston Shudra View Post
He didn’t say that, though. You added the second part yourself.

Hm you can find plenty of other articles agreeing with me because of the implication
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 03-23-2023, 02:28 PM

8,525 posts, read 4,766,063 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by City Guy997S View Post
Uhhhhh ok.
I mean…I don’t really see it much in the media. I’ve only ever known one person who’s been there, and that just because his wife is a traveling nurse, so they spend a few months there every so often. I don’t even know anybody who’s gone there from where I just moved to in WNY. Boston’s just kinda…there. But it doesn’t really seem that relevant in a visceral way.

Old 03-23-2023, 03:21 PM

2,384 posts, read 1,864,290 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by jcp123 View Post
I don’t even know anybody who’s gone there from where I just moved to in WNY. Boston’s just kinda…there. But it doesn’t really seem that relevant in a visceral way.
now imagine how Bostonians feel about Buffalo

Old 03-23-2023, 03:31 PM

21,698 posts, read 12,842,132 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by thedirtypirate View Post
Jaylen Brown laying the boom down on Boston culture in the NY Times this week also is not helping perceptions.

Jaylen Brown on Basketball, Activism and Being Black in Boston
Bro he didn’t say much. This is more like a casual remark.. not a boom.

Old 03-23-2023, 03:36 PM

Quote:
He doesn’t really talk much about Black culture in Boston unless I missed something. The only bit that seemed relevant was:

“Even being an athlete, you would think that you’ve got a certain amount of influence to be able to have experiences, to be able to have some things that doors open a little bit easier. But even with me being who I am, trying to start a business, trying to buy a house, trying to do certain things, you run into some adversity.“

And like…those things are hard for everyone regardless of race and profession due to the area’s tendency to over complicated everything. Not making things easier for him because he’s a famous athlete doesn’t make the city racist.

If anything, it’s the New York Times article that’s overly inflammatory. It makes you think he’s going to have really strong feelings about “being black in Boston”, but he doesn’t. He says what I quoted above and also that a segment of Celtics fans are toxic. He then talks about police departments in Memphis and NYC, but apparently that part isn’t as good for a headline.
He actually mentions “as much as we like it here” int his article lol.

https://www.theringer.com/nba/2023/3...boston-celtics

I just enjoy the time that you have now,” he says. “If it’s your whole career, it’s your whole career. If it’s not, it’s not. Some of the greatest players of all time haven’t finished with their organization. Michael Jordan retired a Wizard. As much as we like it here and enjoy being here, you see where life takes you.

Old 03-23-2023, 03:38 PM

6,818 posts, read 6,066,689 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by jcp123 View Post
I mean…I don’t really see it much in the media.
Do you not watch sports?

Old 03-23-2023, 03:40 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Space_League View Post
now imagine how Bostonians feel about Buffalo
LOL. I don’t think about Buffalo much either; I’ve never even been aside from passing through a bare handful of times transiting to elsewhere. I’m hardly a homer for this area, and I doubt I’ll ever be the guy you’d want to call on to defend it. It’s kinda dreadful in a lot of ways, I’m just grateful it has a fair handful of OK things (I’m really just here for family stuff). At least Buffalo has wings that you can order basically anywhere, so the name at least is in the public consciousness a bit?

Old 03-23-2023, 03:40 PM

Quote:
The implication was that when you perform poorly, that people attack your character for being black. But I agree with your second point except I would change it to: "that the New York media enjoys assuming Boston's bad for Black People".
Fam he did not say that. Nor was that implied.

Ask Mac Jones and even Tom Brady how they feel.

Old 03-23-2023, 03:43 PM

Quote:
The implication was that when you perform poorly, that people attack your character for being black. But I agree with your second point except I would change it to: "that the New York media enjoys assuming Boston's bad for Black People".
No it’s definitely media in general lol. You can get hella likes comment and engagement:

It’s not a New York thing.

No one is asking black players about the bad fans in their city every 2/3 months lol…it just doesn’t happen.

Old 03-23-2023, 03:45 PM

Quote:
Do you not watch sports?
Not really. If anything, I was a hockey fan, but Bettman has done a fair job of making the NHL boring. Last time I was into following even hockey, we were maybe a season or two into trapezoids behind the net, they were actively cracking down on physical play, and Kerry Fraser was still single-handedly putting a hole in the ozone layer with his helment hair. Even then, basically the only thing I remember about the Sabres was Hasek. Never been big into football, used to be a Raiders fan, but I don’t even pretend to care now that they left not just Oakland, but the entire state.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2022 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Massachusetts > Boston