Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Entertainment and Arts > Books
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 09-27-2009, 10:09 AM

410 posts, read 1,108,218 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by skinem View Post
I've always been a reader and NEVER understood those that don't. I, like virtually everyone else nowadays, am very busy yet I always have at least one, and usually 2 books going. Sometimes it takes a while to get through them, but I've never understood not having the desire to read.

I'm not saying this is widespread, but many of the people I know that don't read, including successful-types, just seem, well, not very intellectually curious--beyond work and family, most don't seem to pay any attention to the world around them.

...just my experience.
Well put, Skinem. I so totally agree with you.

I think people who choose not to read are very unfortunate and miss out on so much. Of course, as a librarian, I'm virtually a book pusher. I'm constantly reading, for my own pleasure, for my intellectual improvement, and for my job (childrens' and young adult material)--and I usually have a book going from each of those categories most of the time.

My mother's family are big readers--houses full of books. My earliest memories of of books and reading. But my dad has never been a big reader and now I can see how it has been detrimental to his life. My stepmother is the same way, and I don't think they even own a book. Very sad. I bring bags of books wherever I go. It's one of life's greatest pleasures and gifts.

I've even been around some elementary teachers who do not read. Once a teacher said laughingly, "I don't read...are you offended?" Incredulous, I replied, "No, I'm not offended. I'm shocked, flabbergasted and saddened for you, but not offended."

Was it Mr. Clemens who said something to the effect of "Those who choose not to read are no better off than those who can't read."

So true.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 09-27-2009, 10:41 AM

8,050 posts, read 10,640,313 times
My ex husband didn't like to read and rarely did. After awhile, I realized that was a big part of his problem. He was an uninformed know-it-all.

Old 10-03-2009, 08:41 AM

4,585 posts, read 12,367,710 times
I know quite a few people who don't like to read even tho they can. I think they have the need for instant gratification and don't have the patience to sit down and read.

I didn't start my love of reading until I was trying to get into LPN school many years ago (early '70's), they made us take a reading comprehension and speed reading course prior to starting the program. The first day, we had to take tests to see where we were and so the instructor could specialize the program for each of us. Lo and behold I had a form of Dyslexia and once she gave me the tools to deal, I was off and running. Today my house is filled with books, there is one in my car, my purse and really every where. I never like getting caught out without one in case I'm sitting in a waiting room somewhere.

I recently discovered that many forms of Dyslexia is an inherited trait and all my cousins have some form of it, apparently my dad and uncle and their father had it also I also think my older brother has a mild form like I do. Of course back in the 50's thru much of the 70's it was not a diagnosable problem and was poo poo'd. As I grew up my parents were told I was "slow" mentally and would never make it into college...fooled them
I thank the great spirit who sent me that reading instructor, she changed my life in so many ways it's unfathomable.

Old 10-03-2009, 09:38 PM

1,930 posts, read 10,174,075 times
My whole life I have always HATED to read! Or so I thought anyway. I mean, I really hated it, to the point where where I was in school, 3 years in a row I did a book report on the same book so I wouldn't have to read! In high school my mom thought I couldn't read because I hated it so much! lol! However, just recently, like a few months ago, my best friend (who on here is ~FlOriDa~gUrL~1283) convinced me to at least try to get into a book. So, I decided to read Cross by James Patterson. I LOVED it! Since then, in the last few months, I have read most of James Patterson's books. I read all 15 books in his Alex Cross series, all 8 books in his Women's Murder Club series, as well as over half of his other books. I have also read all 4 of the books in the Twilight series, 5 of 6 Brad Meltzer books, and a few other random books here and there. I really am obsessed with reading now, I hardly ever watch TV anymore, and it's so funny because I always thought I hated it!

Also, my husband has never hated to read, but he's never loved it either. Since I got so into it though, he has started to read more as well.

Old 10-04-2009, 01:24 AM

27,232 posts, read 46,668,826 times
stuck in a waiting room? one could work on puzzles. crossword puzzles, cryptograms, etc. Funny thing about word puzzles, is that you have to know something about words to do them (except maybe word searches, where you have to find the words in the given diagram, not the one where you look for words in a word or phrase).

I like all sorts of puzzles. Even started doing sudokus, after I realized that they weren't just a fad with no staying power. Also enjoying something called Kenken, but only two newspapers carry them, and I don't buy them daily. One's USAToday, available throughout the U.S., the other's more local to my area.

Old 01-03-2010, 08:41 AM

5,652 posts, read 19,354,812 times
My FIL does not read. Not fiction nor magazines. TV and going to the movies is his hobby. I love to read - mostly mysteries and the classics. Spouse: magazines only.

I think the Internet and video games are to blame for kids not reading more. Adults, I think there are more adults +50 than you know who cannot read effectively because of poor schooling. Remember back in the day, they did not diagnose ADHD, dyslexia and the like. They just disciplined you if you didn't do it right.

Old 01-03-2010, 11:50 AM

155 posts, read 283,169 times
yes!!! and i don't see how
some people only read when they HAVE too like for a class or etc
i mean, whether its a mag or whatever reading can be a world full of fun!!!

Old 01-03-2010, 04:40 PM

1,909 posts, read 2,539,472 times
Default ~!

Quote:
Originally Posted by gardener34 View Post
My FIL does not read. Not fiction nor magazines. TV and going to the movies is his hobby. I love to read - mostly mysteries and the classics. Spouse: magazines only.

I think the Internet and video games are to blame for kids not reading more. Adults, I think there are more adults +50 than you know who cannot read effectively because of poor schooling. Remember back in the day, they did not diagnose ADHD, dyslexia and the like. They just disciplined you if you didn't do it right.
I have to disagree with the bolded line. I've watched my son play video games for 20 years. He plays role playing games that not only have a plot, but the characters talk in words that must be read. At age 6 he was so happy to know how to read, because he was able to play games designed for older kids. At 26 he still plays video games and still reads what's on screen. I can't get him to read novels tho. He hates reading books because book reports were used as punishment in school, so he associates the two in his mind. (He has Asperger's so that is a big issue for him). He does, however, love to read magazines and I make sure he has at least two subscriptions going at all times. He likes to change magazines after a year or so - try something new- but he has to have his Reader's Digest.

Also, the internet is really ALL about reading. Sure there's music and games and other non-wordy things to do, but one must be able to have some reading ability to spend any time on the computer. Even the kids who spell using that text language are reading. Although we can't be sure that they are learning English or some new language. Personally I feel sorry for people who can only write in abbreviations and (I'll be honest) I do look down on people who write that way online. In conversations it's ok, but it is not ok on a message board.

I'm a reader. I read all day long. I even keep a book in the bathroom, I just cannot stand to sit and stare at the walls. I can read anywhere. I have the ability to block out sounds as I get into a story.

I do know a family where the mom and daughter don't ever read anything. I know for mom it's a matter of comprehension, the daughter once told me she wanted to grow up to be an airhead. (I kid you not!) She's there! Brother reads novels and the dad reads any magazine that talks about cars.

I was a very poor reader in grade school... always getting notes that I read below grade level. The summer after 6th grade I started babysitting a couple kids across the street. I usually watched them a few nights a week and for some reason I picked up a book they had in the living room and started to read it. It was beyond me, but I wrote down words I did not understand and looked them up when I got home. It was a horror book that I can't even remember the name of and I read this book all that summer. After that I began to devour books. One family I babysat for had a complete collection of the Little House books AND complete collection of Nancy Drew. I read every single one. This family let me borrow the books and for that I was always so greatful. After that there was no stopping me.

Old 01-03-2010, 06:26 PM

42,554 posts, read 87,003,003 times
Some people don't read because they can't. I know that sounds flip, but I once dated a woman who was a hairdresser, and she was dyslexic, and got through high school with great difficulty, and through hairdressing school only by asking other students to tell her what the material said.

I read somewhere that dyslexics can read a lot better if the material is printed on blue paper. I went to an office supply store and got one of those clear blue plastic letter-size document sleeves, and gave it to her. She picked up one of those magazines full of science fiction short stories, and she read an entire short story in one night. She was incredibly proud of herself. It must have been extremely laborious for her, because she had no practice is just sweeping the page and recognizing the words, as we do. But she did it, since for the first time in her life, all the letters appeared in the right order and she could sound out the words.

Old 01-03-2010, 08:33 PM

4,596 posts, read 11,451,543 times
Default Ever met someone who didn't read?

Yes, and it was just too sad. Why bother breathing?
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Entertainment and Arts > Books