Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Entertainment and Arts > Books
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 08-19-2009, 10:23 PM

1,222 posts, read 3,833,156 times

Advertisements

I am amazed by people that I know that can read, but always say they do not have time or do not like to read. I guess I cannot imagine a life without reading and books. I always find the time anywhere. Has anyone else experienced this phenomena? Just curious.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 08-20-2009, 12:04 AM

37,803 posts, read 41,052,604 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Artsywoman View Post
I am amazed by people that I know that can read, but always say they do not have time or do not like to read. I guess I cannot imagine a life without reading and books. I always find the time anywhere. Has anyone else experienced this phenomena? Just curious.
I have one friend who is ill and can't read. The husband devours books, though.

I have another friend who hasn't read a book in at least 13 years.

My sister doesn't read. I probably read more books by the time I was 10 than she has read in her whole life.

All of the above are in their 50s so we can't blame computers/technology/the Internet.

I have a friend who is younger and who used to read but now doesn't read at all.

Do the people you know who don't read have children who don't read, either?

Old 08-20-2009, 12:13 AM

11,326 posts, read 20,348,688 times
I read very well, know a lot of "big words" and write great essays but I never read anything unless its an assignment in school and even then I usually just skim through the chapters .

Reading doesn't appeal to me, I find it quite boring for some reason .

Old 08-20-2009, 12:37 AM

2,963 posts, read 5,456,665 times
Yep. Educated people, too. An architect, people in tech fields, etc. One girl said her parents just read non-fiction and encouraged her only in that direction too, so she associates reading with a self-improvement regimen as opposed to a simple solitary pleasure with added benefits.

Old 08-20-2009, 12:57 AM

10,214 posts, read 17,898,044 times
Everyone I know reads for enjoyment at least once and a while. That's why I thought it was so weird when someone on here thought that reading was an activity associated with people over 50. Not in my world.

Old 08-20-2009, 04:04 AM

13,026 posts, read 24,640,907 times
I know quite a few people who never read and I simply cannot comprehend that context. I have devoured books since I was 3 years old and the idea of living without books is simply bizarre to me.

We do a lot of home exchanges for our holidays and we have been to so many houses that have NO books ( believe me I have searched high and low) apart from maybe cookery books. It is like a desert to me. My soul would simply dessicate and crumble without reading material....

Some people seem to see it as either hard work ( why read when you can watch the film ?!?!?!?!) , boring or simply use the excuse they don't have the time.

I attribute it to a complete lack of imagination and an overdose/overloading of audio-visual stimulation ( TV, MP3, Video Games etc...) leading to intellectual laziness. I think some people are simply passive and cannot contemplate actually using their own imagination and prefer to be "entertained" rather than entertaining themselves.

All the people I really respect and am really friends with read a lot.

Maybe because I have little in common with those who do not , no shared commonalities I suppose. I am also a huge theatre fan and I find that people who don't read have no appreciation of live theatre either. Not quick and easy enough for them. I also prefer Indie or Foreign films and that too seems attract the extremely literate.

And it has nothing to do with education. I know a lot of people with college degrees who read very little and taxi drivers and cleaners who devour book after books. In that respect I feel reading is a great social equaliser as it brings us bookworms closer and unites us in the love of books. It is something I like about reading. A giant club where the only requirement for membership is a true passion for reading.

Mind you I also know a lot of people who do not read newspapers, watch the news, and read no magazines which to me is also quite baffling.

Old 08-20-2009, 04:48 AM

2,256 posts, read 6,961,229 times
Does reading my Maxim magazine count? I get to look at great pictures too

Old 08-20-2009, 06:07 AM

14,784 posts, read 24,109,189 times
my husband can but chooses not too . I also could not imagine a world without reading . I love to read it is one of my passions and I would be heartbroken if I could not read .

Old 08-20-2009, 06:31 AM

874 posts, read 2,876,692 times
I happen to know many people whom do not read as well. They use the same reasons of boredom, not enough time, etc. I personally love to read and tend to read approximately one book each week. I am retired from the NYPD on disability after suffering a heart attack and always had a book with me when I was working as well. I would read during my lunch hour, when I had court, etc. At that time I was averaging reading a new book every two weeks.

I read mostly non-fiction and am a big history buff. What I had always found fascinating is the fact that I worked with people whom were in the military that had never heard of General Patton or General MacArthur. One of my co-workers whom was in the military actually saw me reading a book about the Korean War and had told me that he knew we had the war but had no idea of what took place. He had no idea that the Chinese were involved at all.

Old 08-20-2009, 08:09 AM

538 posts, read 732,743 times
My husband. He reads nary a book though his reading skills are very much up to par. I am the book hound in the family. I love learning about new things.

I think some people do not like to read because schooling sapped them of their natural desire to learn. A child should not be made to sit in a seat and be dictated to and disciplined all day long. They are full of energy and natural curiosity, and this setting does not allow them to use it.

I also think that our society dictates that learning isn't cool or fun. You're nerdy if you read books. The powers that be want us to remain in the dark so we will not pay attention to what they are doing. It's easier to rule over a bunch of mushrooms.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Entertainment and Arts > Books