Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Entertainment and Arts > Books
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 08-29-2009, 08:36 PM

3,849 posts, read 3,753,645 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by pejerey View Post
I am not a reader of books, as a matter of fact the last book I picked up was "The fingerprints of the gods" good reading material, I guess, about 5 or 6 years ago some 400 pages? and still have not finish the book, I have read about 8 to 10 books since the beginning of times, I read magazines a little or the newspaper, however I do listen to music all the time and consider that my escape plus I can do it as I am doing something else too.
I do love the Discovery channel or educational programs, lukily my wife is a reader and my daughter picked it up from her plus I do encourage her to read as much as possible too.
Do you have a problem reading and understanding what you read? My late husband was one who didn't read because he spent so much of his reading time trying to decipher what he was reading that he couldn't take the time to let his imagination take over. Even when the book was on a subject that he enjoyed and was knowledgeable in, (such as his automotive manuals) he still most times asked me or one of our sons to read/explain it to him.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 09-03-2009, 11:52 AM

2,184 posts, read 5,552,769 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Artsywoman View Post
I am amazed by people that I know that can read, but always say they do not have time or do not like to read. I guess I cannot imagine a life without reading and books. I always find the time anywhere. Has anyone else experienced this phenomena? Just curious.
My least favorite & most confusing thing to hear is: I don't like to read.

How dumbfounding. One of my son's girlfriends said that. I couldn't believe my ears because my son is an avid reader!

A coworker said that, too. For some reason, we never got along!

It's more rare than hearing someone say they don't like chocolate, though. And you know, that IS wierd. However, I still get along with those people.

Kate

Old 09-03-2009, 02:31 PM

483 posts, read 1,561,764 times
My younger brother never reads, ever! My oldest brother will read, if it's a sports related magazine lol. I just don't understand it myself. Also, my son has grown up in our house that definitely has a love for books. I have always read to him, but he absolutely dislikes reading (could be his age though *9* and or his ADHD) . I just can't fathom not wanting to read!

Old 09-05-2009, 12:04 AM

1 posts, read 1,666 times
I'm a bookworm normally. I have a small child & I don't get to read much of what I like anymore but I sure read lots of books for her. Wish I had more time to read between work & taking care of things at home.....I'm so drained by the end of the day. I have hard enough times staying awake to read to her sometimes! lol

Old 09-05-2009, 06:20 AM

2,543 posts, read 4,887,513 times
There's a lot of people, in the town I live in here in Arizona, that don't read. And some can barely read (more like not past the 3rd grade level, it seems). I went to a meeting the other day and we read from a book out loud. The guy next to me could barely read and didn't know some of the basic words in the sentence. I had to help him out some.

I notice that in a lot of small towns. Lots of illiterate folks, especially here in Prescott/Prescott Valley. YIKES!!!

I love to read and can read better than most folks. Reading is fun and you learn something too. Don't need no stickin' teachers, I can read for myself!! LOOOOL!!

Old 09-05-2009, 06:28 AM

1,050 posts, read 3,527,269 times
I have one friend who claims eyestrain and never reads. Another is so obsessed with realily TV. My husband used to but work is keeping him from reading for fun. He is just too tired. He does read financial magazines. I have to have a book going all the time. Forget about getting a good education from school. It is all about reading. I remember way back reading John Jakes series. I got more history from those books..

Old 09-09-2009, 07:10 PM

5,014 posts, read 10,698,162 times
I recently went back to school and can add about 90% of my classmates to this list.

Old 09-11-2009, 09:27 AM

5,252 posts, read 4,678,784 times
"All the people I really respect and am really friends with read a lot."

This really says it all, I too feel the attraction to those who read over those who don't. I see the trend towards acceptance of information off the web and that obtained through socializing. Reading is now thought of to be old fashioned, slow, tedious, and worst of the worst, boring. The chasm that separates the left from the right in things political, is growing, it is growing simply for the fact that information is now controlled by those who benefit from such a construct.

Books and the web are both good sources of information, but, it takes a lot of study to conclude the truth about things, that's where books are nice, you can stretch out on the bed, or couch and really get comfortably prepared for some lengthy reading. Computers are wrecking our bodies due to the ergonomics involved. Busy-ness is one of the all time great destroyers of intelligence, most non readers use the worn out excuse that they don't have the time.

I can honestly say that I have yet to meet someone who reads a lot needing to bolster their ego by faking intelligence, they have it, and whether I agree or disagree with them I usually end up admiring their ability to articulate their thoughts. On the other hand, I've noticed that those who rarely read shouldn't feel the need to tell you about their feelings regarding books, it's obvious in their conversation. This has gotten to the point wherein the reader is construed to be a "nerd", and conversely, in popular culture, the non reader is viewed as a person of higher intellect for his choice of information sources, after all, who needs books when you have shock radio and your Puter.

Old 09-11-2009, 01:12 PM

1,161 posts, read 1,859,854 times
Well, I'm one of those "busy-bodies" that some readers here look down on! I'm more of a technical reader - I read to gather info on a subject I'm interested in, but the idea of going to the beach and then just sitting and reading all day would be torture! I appreciate reading, but I'm more of a "doer". I bring my boogie board to the beach and like to study the waves and figure out the patterns of which waves will be best.

Recently, a reader friend of mine was discussing a sci-fi book series they had read - when I told them I hadn't read it, they assumed it was because the series was "over my head". The actual idea that maybe it didn't interest me never occured to my friend. My reader friend are nowhere near as gifted as I am musically, but funny, I don't consider them dummies because they don't share my interests.

I know way too many "busy-bodies" like myself who are Doctors, Engineers, GM's, and such who are not read-for-pleasure types who are quite intelligent - conversely, I find more "novel-a-week" readers who assign themselves a false intellect because they "are readers" - but can't do something as simple as balance their checkbook or know where the oil goes in their car!

Maybe some of those "non-readers" are just wired a little different! Maybe some people need to get past their own prejudice about people who don't have a book constantly in their face?

Last edited by cougfan; 09-11-2009 at 01:25 PM.. Reason: Spelling

Old 09-11-2009, 02:42 PM

1,995 posts, read 3,377,903 times
I have met a few people who don't read and I guess I just feel sorry for them. I come from a family of readers and all of my children are bookworms like me. What I have found more often are people who read only non-fiction. It seems limiting to me but to each their own.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Entertainment and Arts > Books