Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Entertainment and Arts > Books
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 01-15-2010, 05:41 PM

3,849 posts, read 3,752,484 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by jacq63 View Post
Head TV, good one RDS! Wish I could've had an HS teacher like you!

I've met a few people who dont read, and I dont mean to sound snooty, but it shows in their conversation. I'm no hot-shot mega-brain conversationalist, but their speaking style just...shall we say, 'flows' differently.
One person said they dont have the time, but as someone here pointed out, they have plenty of time to be on the computer. When I visited their place for the first time, something didn't feel right. I realized there was not. one. book......in the house.

A colleague of mine doesn't read either. She is also 'too busy'. To me, (just my 0.02 here) it sounds like an excuse. Why not just say "I don't like to read?" (OK, ok I know why; because then Judgemental Judys like me come along and say 'what??? You dont like to READ?? Are you MENTAL???)
Being the only person on my team at work who enjoys reading has its advantages though. My boss gave me a Borders gift card someone had given her, b/c she knew I was the only one there who'd use it.
LOL! I'm actually responding to your edit, which doesn't show up.
Quote:
Last edited by jacq63; Today at 03:17 PM.. Reason: for someone who reads, I have zero grammar skills.
Believe me when I say that my grammar skills are extremely bad. I've read and reread over my own posts for as much as 10 minutes before posting, just to be sure there's no spelling or grammar errors. And I still miss the spelling errors as much as half the time!

Part of my spelling errors comes from the fact that I'm simply a lousy typist!
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 01-15-2010, 09:30 PM

4,725 posts, read 10,135,408 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by MsMcQ LV View Post
LOL! I'm actually responding to your edit, which doesn't show up. Believe me when I say that my grammar skills are extremely bad. I've read and reread over my own posts for as much as 10 minutes before posting, just to be sure there's no spelling or grammar errors. And I still miss the spelling errors as much as half the time!

Part of my spelling errors comes from the fact that I'm simply a lousy typist!
That is funny, MsMcQ. I thought exactly the same thing when I read jacq63's edit.

I spent most of my adult life teaching reading skills to youngsters - which includes good writing skills, of course - yet, most of my posts have to be edited to fix my spelling and grammar errors!

We may act like we know what we are doing, but we are all just in a continual learning mode.

I think most of us are happy to read the content and wish to overlook the typos and goofs. That's the beauty of this forum!

Old 01-15-2010, 09:48 PM

15,852 posts, read 35,135,091 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Artsywoman View Post
I am amazed by people that I know that can read, but always say they do not have time or do not like to read. I guess I cannot imagine a life without reading and books. I always find the time anywhere. Has anyone else experienced this phenomena? Just curious.
It was the strangest thing. One day I went to visit the wife of a co-worker of my husband. Just wanting to make friends. And when I went inside her house, I noticed that there were NO BOOKS, not even any magazines, in the ENTIRE house.

Now you have to understand, in my house, there are books EVERYWHERE you look. Honestly. I think you cannot go three feet without there being a book stuck SOMEWHERE. I LIVE for them.

It seemed so strange to me that someone could live in a house that had not books. I couldn't help but wonder what on earth she DID ALL DAY! (It wasn't housework LOL).

20yrsinBranson

Old 01-15-2010, 09:57 PM

37,409 posts, read 53,576,256 times
The only person I know who really doesn't ever read is my grandmother. She grew up very, very poor in the post-Depression Appalachian south, and had minimal schooling. This didn't prevent her from continuing to learn on her own, but she also has dyslexia, so teaching herself to read was a big chore. Also, as one of the older girls of a very large family that lived with few modern conveniences, she spent the majority of her time doing a lot of household chores and taking care of younger children, and didn't have much leisure time at all to read for pleasure.

Consequently, she never learned to read well, and her literacy is basically borderline functional...she reads well enough to get by, but makes lots of mistakes (lots of times, I'd get birthday cards "To a wonderful GODdaughter." Her near-illiteracy has always been something that has embarrassed her, and she's carried a lot of baggage about it and can be pretty chip-on-her-shoulder, and she tends to phrase it as not LIKING to read, versus not being able to read well. I think she probably would have learned to read just fine on her own were it not for her disability, though, she's a bright and resourceful lady.

Old 01-15-2010, 09:58 PM

3,400 posts, read 8,031,390 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by MissLariss View Post
When I read, a movie screen literally pops up in my mind and I am not seeing the words in the book, but what is happening in the story. I have been asking people who say they don't like to read if the same thing happens for them. They have all said no.....
I am the same way, you're not alone. Im also a fast reader as well.

Quote:
Originally Posted by sarahkate_m View Post
It's more rare than hearing someone say they don't like chocolate, though. And you know, that IS wierd. However, I still get along with those people.

Kate
That makes me sad...I dont like chocolate...Its nasty. The older I get the less I like it.

Maybe you'll like me anyway.

Quote:
Originally Posted by LinaJo76 View Post
Don't need no stickin' teachers, I can read for myself!! LOOOOL!!
Exactly my thinking in high school.

Old 01-16-2010, 10:06 AM

29,745 posts, read 34,389,499 times
Quote:
I've met a few people who dont read, and I dont mean to sound snooty, but it shows in their conversation. I'm no hot-shot mega-brain conversationalist, but their speaking style just...shall we say, 'flows' differently.
Not that I'm a super grammar queen, but many times you can tell a person isn't a reader by the spelling and grammar mistakes they make. Things like "all intensive purposes" or "patton leather shoes". These are probably things they've never seen in writing.

Old 01-16-2010, 11:10 AM

1 posts, read 1,108 times
I know many people. In my country Macedonia, reading books is not very famous work. But I " ate books"

Old 01-16-2010, 12:08 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Nightwish View Post
I know many people. In my country Macedonia, reading books is not very famous work. But I " ate books"
My mother would have said you "lived and breathed books", but I kinda like your phrasing better.

Old 01-16-2010, 12:31 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by fleetiebelle View Post
Not that I'm a super grammar queen, but many times you can tell a person isn't a reader by the spelling and grammar mistakes they make. Things like "all intensive purposes" or "patton leather shoes". These are probably things they've never seen in writing.
I'm not sure I agree with your conclusion. A lot of it has to do with how one learned to spell. For instance, my son (39 next week) is a voracious reader, reading at least a book a week. (and BIG books at that!) But he is a truly horrible speller because, rather than spelling lists of new words to write out in multiples every week like the way I was taught, he was taught to spell phonetically - spell it how it sounds. And most bad spellers of my acquaintance were taught that way. The reason I find that to be such a horrible way of teaching spelling is that I know from experience with my hard of hearing husband and sons that not everyone hears every word exactly the same way, even when they are hearing it from the same source at the same time. And if someone is not hearing each sound in a word, they are going to mess it up when it comes time to spell it.

Some of it also has to do with this "hurry up" society we live in - no one wants to take the necessary time to make sure their typed or written messages are correctly formatted and/or spelled. I used to run into that same attitude with clients when I worked in the tax office - they were more interested in my getting the return completed quickly than whether or not I got it done correctly. Until, that is they came back with an IRS letter because they hurried me right past a small error that they didn't give me time to find.

Old 01-16-2010, 12:54 PM

1,288 posts, read 2,893,320 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Artsywoman View Post
I am amazed by people that I know that can read, but always say they do not have time or do not like to read. I guess I cannot imagine a life without reading and books. I always find the time anywhere. Has anyone else experienced this phenomena? Just curious.

WAAAAYYY too many. I used to work with women who boasted they didn't even have time to read the local paper. It was more important to clean their bathmats with toothbrushes to get every nook and cranny clean (and no, I am not exaggerating -- geez, but a new one already).
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Entertainment and Arts > Books